MacBooks forum

General discussion

Is a $1,400 laptop really worth it?

So, I am a junior in high school who "needs"/ wants a laptop or notebook to last me through college. I am looking at a Mac because I know they have an awesome reputation for lasting a long time. I am saving up for half of which ever laptop I get and my dad will match me. But... he doesn't believe a Mac will is worth the $1,400. Is he right, if not how can i convince him that he's wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is a $1,400 laptop really worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is a $1,400 laptop really worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same as me...

In reply to: Is a $1,400 laptop really worth it?

I wanted a Mac for this exact reason. I solved the problem by paying for it ALL by myself! But, your the one who's right, not him. A typical laptop PC will last a maximum of 3 or 4 years, then it's bogged down, obsolete, and most likely broken (take my old Dell Inspiron for instance). My mom's iMac, on the other hand, works just as well as the day she bought it, can still run most modern programs, and isn't showing any visible signs of wear. She's had it three years two months. So, yes, it's worth it. It might seem like your paying less for the PC, but if you have to buy two of them for every one mac, your actually paying more. Plus, with a Mac, you get an awesome OS, and lots of cool little hardware features that you can't even get on most PCs. I assume your looking at a MacBook Pro 13", since you said $1400. I just got one, and can tell you, it's great. Way better than my sister's brand new Compaq laptop.

If your not planning on playing loads of games or doing some serious video editing, you might have a better chance of persuading your dad to get a White MacBook ($999) or the 2.2GHz model MBP 13" ($1099). Also, check out the student discounts <a href="http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/back_to_school?mco=NjcxMTQ3Nw" target="_blank">Here</a>

You can get $50-$100 off, plus a free iPod touch second gen.

Collapse -
link....

In reply to: Same as me...

Collapse -
Posted for d_adams

In reply to: link....

I've heard about the problems with previous generation white macbooks (my cousin has one, and she's had a few problems). I can't say for sure that they have been fixed, but I've heard from several sources that they have been. Also, if you get an aluminum MBP, then the case can't crack. I haven't heard any reports of faulty HDDs and memory in them either. As for the G5 iMac, I can personally attest to the fact that that problem has been fixed. As I said in my earlier post, my mom's 2GHz Intel iMac has been going for 3+ years w/out a single glitch, and the same goes for my grandmother's 1.8GHz Intel iMac.

I don't mean to try to say that Macs don't ever have problems and there's no chance that they could have problems. Apple's computers, no matter how good they are, are still computers, and all computers have problems. I just mean to convey that, in my experience and to my knowledge, they tend to have a lot less problems.

Also, something I didn't mention in my previous post: if you get a laptop PC with comparable hardware to any given Mac laptop, it will cost the same. The main reason PCs are generally thought to be cheaper, is that you can buy PCs with cheaper hardware, incapable of running the operating system and programs installed on it smoothly without lag, whereas one of Apple's big things is, everything will run smoothly without lag, and hang the extra cost! I did a comparison of the hardware on several laptop PCs (I'm a PC guy really; I just changed to Mac for the editing software), and I found that no matter the manufacturer, when you compare a similar PC to any given Mac laptop, it will be within $100 (either way) of the cost of that Mac.
I guess the point I'm making is that the hardware costs the same for everyone, be they Apple, or be they Dell, and that cost carries through to the consumer, regardless of the software installed on it. The only difference being, that manufacturers like Dell, will also make a cheap version that can almost run your stuff, as well as the full featured (and considerably more expensive) version. So, when you buy a cheap PC, it kind of feels like buying half a piano so you can save a few bucks. You can get a feel for the way it's supposed to work, but you can't quite play a song. I should know; I've owned three cheap PCs and only one full featured one.

Anyway, tell your dad that.

Collapse -
To d_adams

In reply to: Posted for d_adams

I reposted your reply to the OP as I removed an advertising post in this thread.

Removing it would have deleted your reply.

P

Collapse -
How much did that cost.

In reply to: Same as me...

NO duh your PC didn't last long I bet you didn't spend $1,400 dollars on it. The more money the more years.

Collapse -
Mac

Once you buy a Mac you will never go back. You will be very unlikely to ever be bothered by a virus while in my office the PC people spend time every week cleaning up the virus from their computers. My laptop is about 5 years old now and never missed a lick or seen the inside of a shop. A Mac is more expensive for a good reason. It will also be worth more when you get rid of it someday. Take a look at Consurmer Reports and see who is "always" on top in consumer satisfaction, customer support, and a consistent top of the line performer. Do your self a favor and buy the Mac even if it cost more.

Collapse -
Consider twice

I suggest you think thoroughly about it. If you're an avid Windows user you may not be able to adapt to a Mac= you'll get very annoyed with a Mac for awhile. Also, if you're thinking of the VMWare Fusion you might want to consider that Windows isn't compatible in a Mac; you might get blue screen problems and RAM issues.

I'm a Mac user and I think Mac is a superb laptop, although I had problems adapting. The specs are real good but it differs from model to model. Finally, it's really a question of preference.

Collapse -
Windows is not compatible in a Mac?

In reply to: Consider twice

how so?

P

Collapse -
Anyone faces these problems?

In reply to: Windows is not compatible in a Mac?

I've got a friend who faces these problems and has to take out the Windows completely. Idk if anyone else faces these problems but I'm just sharing it to let you know. Happy
My friend actually got blue screen problems, and the dual OS took out half her memory leaving small space for her to work with like music, etc. Again, idk if anyone else faces these problems.

Collapse -
looks like this is an isolated case

In reply to: Anyone faces these problems?

You did not specify what emulator your friend was using. Parallels would not do anything you describe.

Collapse -
Emulator

In reply to: looks like this is an isolated case

My friend uses bootcamp. Hmm. I guess it is an isolated case then. I apologise if I have given inaccurate info. Sad

Collapse -
this has been reported

In reply to: Emulator

The black screen (not blue?) has been a problem indeed fixed by firmware update
www.macwindows.com/bootcamp.html
Many problems can be fixed with updating software and running it properly. Unfortunately, many people ignore certain steps or issues and the bad things then escalate. The upshot is that Windows cannot really run OS X in the open (without serious hacks).
On the other hands there are fewer and fewer Windows-only programs, so a Mac option becomes more and more attractive. It is also more secure (less attacks) and is virtually devoid of virus threats. Most self-extracting Windows malware programs are absolutely harmless on a Mac.

Collapse -
I Know I'm Walking in a bit late but...

I would recommend holding off on buying a super machine. I was in your shoes about a year ago. I took the middle ground and bought a Refurb Mac Mini and a firewire external hard drive. It was cheaper, it works well and I will be buying a MacBook when I go to college next fall (which will give me two computers total). In one or two years the trends really change with what you can get for your money. And don't forget about the refurbs. They still hold the same warranty, you can still get AppleCare on them, and most of them ship without a scratch on them. Hope this helps you out.

Collapse -
Is a MacbookPro worth it?

Absolutely. If you're not currently a Mac person you will find a little bit of a learning curve switching from PC but it will be well worth it. They are built to last (at least way longer than most PCs) and you won't have to do all the "maintenance" on it. I still have a desktop PC (custom built a few years ago) but I hate using it and use my Macbook Pro 95% of the time. It takes so long to boot up my PC plus I have to run maintenance each time I boot it so that it won't bog down during use (registry cleaner, disk cleaner, etc.). Then, you will have to conduct a disk defrag every now and then. Never happens with a Mac, just turn it on and go. Or, better still, leave it on and just close the lid when finished (but I always close out of my browser first) and it will go right to sleep. Technically, you really don't ever have to boot-up a Mac every time you use it, just close the lid and it will go into energy saving mode until you're ready to use it again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.