Question

Is 950 Pro M.2. SSD & the MSI GUARD-PRO ATX MOBO compatible?

Jan 24, 2016 8:44PM PST

I want to buy a new M.2. Samsung 950 Pro (256GB model). But my motherboard is a MSI GUARD-PRO ATX with 2 PCIe x16 slots. One being the video card obviously.

System Specs:
• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 3.60 GHz 8MB LGA1150
• HDD: (2) 3TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM
• SSD: 256GB ADATA SP600
• SSD: 512GB MX100
• HDD: 250 GB
• MEMORY: 16GB DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
• MOTHERBOARD: MSI GUARD-PRO ATX w/GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 3 PCI, 1 x M.2, 6x SATA 6Gb/s
o Soon to be Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit Edition)
• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16
o Soon to be a GTX 980ti

The M.2. Samsung 950 Pro needs a PCI-e Gen 3 x4. I only have the 2.0 x16 which correct me if I am wrong I can get an adapter for. (To be honest I am not sure my Motherboard can run the x16 at x8 (I think it can run at X4) but even if it can I hear that it will effect my graphics card a bit. This might be a huge problem for me depending on the amount. Does anyone know if it affects your GPU and if so how much? And if the 950 Pro will be affected? So if I do plug it into my other x16 slot, will my GPU go down to x8 performance? I realize there's not huge performance drop between x8 and x16 for GPU, but am curious if that is the case or if I can get x4 on one slot and x16 on the other?
It will indeed reduce the video card to PCIe 3.0 x8 and I think its possible to make it a 2.0 x4 (as shown below from MSI website) would that slow my 950 Pro down and cause me to lose my 4 x1 slots bc I have an Ethernet card in one. The rest I don’t care.
• 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (PCI_E2, supports x16 speed)
• 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slot (PCI_E4, supports x4 speed)
• 4 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots
Thank you for any help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Is 950 Pro M.2. SSD & the MSI GUARD-PRO ATX MOBO compatible?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is 950 Pro M.2. SSD & the MSI GUARD-PRO ATX MOBO compatible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Looks like no.
Jan 25, 2016 8:34AM PST
- Collapse -
Is this compatible
Feb 9, 2016 1:57PM PST

I have two SATA SSD's already but wanted something faster. The Intel 750 is way too expensive unfortunately. However, with an adapter such as this:

http://www.legitreviews.com/addonics-m-2-pcie-ssd-adapter-x110-review_165632

wouldn't that be ok? Or any other ideas on how to do this. Even if the 950 pro had a slight performance hit it is still faster than any SSD, I am just not sure how big of a hit. compatible

- Collapse -
Over the years I've learned that
Feb 9, 2016 2:11PM PST

Putting one interface after another is slower than a single interface. So my bet is it won't be any faster.

- Collapse -
Problem
Feb 10, 2016 2:04PM PST

You are not going to believe what just happened to me. I updated my bios as per instructions on installing my new 980ti. Was going to update everything anyways. Well an error occurred during transfer and there is no backup BIOS. I called the company and they said its completely broke and can't access UEFI. So they are sending me a new one. I am considering selling it and going with another MOBO. I am going to get the Asrock Extreme6 which has two 3.0x16 pcie slots and should be able to run the Video card and the 950 Pro. However I heard that windows is tied into your motherboard. Does this mean I have to buy a new version of windows or will the one I have on there still work. Would windows be sympathetic if the MOBO problem was MSI's and they are reimbursing me? Kinda odd question but I have never ran into this before. Thanks.

- Collapse -
It's a deep topic so let's keep it simple.
Feb 10, 2016 2:18PM PST

You are (smile here!) allowed to repair your PC. So if you bought Windows (retail) and the motherboard fails, you can change that and if the activation fails, it's about a 5 minute call to get a new link about it.

If the OS is OEM then you are still allowed to change the motherboard but there are restrictions such as if you have a Dell, it must be a Dell board. Still may need to call.

CNET Forums

Forum Info