HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

IS 6 inches a big difference? And the XBR2 vs the XBR4

by C0Re / May 10, 2008 7:59 AM PDT

I decided to get a Sony Bravia LCD TV.

My only two choices are a KDL-52XBR4 and a KDL-46XBR4

There is a review her on cnet for the KDL-46XBR4 and for the KDL-52XBR4 it says to look at the 46" LCD. So assuming both the quality is the exact same.

Question 1:
IS 6 inches worth the price difference?

the 52" will be roughly $4,000 with tax. The 46" will be $3600

Question 2:
What is the difference between the XBR4 and the XBR2 Models? Besides the price. They are significantly cheaper (5-600 Dollars)

Now Im not a rich man, but I want a very nice tv to go with my PS3 and play some blu ray movies and GTA IV among other games.

I'm a sony fan boy and love sony for pretty much everything. A little help please

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IS 6 inches a big difference? And the XBR2 vs the XBR4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IS 6 inches a big difference? And the XBR2 vs the XBR4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This Is Impossible For Us To Answer
by jostenmeat / May 10, 2008 9:01 AM PDT

really. Value is always subjective, man. Right? Ok, maybe it is possible. You have one question to answer first:

How far do you sit away from the screen?

Well, if you got the money.... WHY NOT?! Silly Food on the table? Scroo it!

no seriously, ok. If it was me, Id just get a plasma, assuming the need for a flat panel. Im sure you have your reasons for choosing more expensive LCD's, and the XBR-4s are the best I've seen.

It takes more research, but this is what I did. At less than $4,000, I have a JVC RS-1 projector, with a DaLite 159" High Power screen (retro-reflective with emulsified glass beads) that was custom ordered in black, with controlled screen return. Shipping included on both, equaled less than $4,000.

Who knows if you have the space. My pic blows the XBR-4 away, however. IMO, of course. The blacks are just silly. Costs will go up with daily TV viewing due to costs of bulbs. I don't have TV anymore. Just an option to throw out there. I also almost only watch movies at night. (Just one daytime viewing so far, but it still looked fantastic).

After all, since you are a Sony fanboi, your company makes very nice PJs, using the same tech as mine, being 3 panel LCOS.

I now tell all of personal friends to get a PJ, if interested in their first HDTV, or are intersted in upgrading. If they happen to want backgrouond TV as well, I say to get some cheapo 37" Vizio or something, and just drop the screen over it. Or just drop the screen over the older tv. When they come over to my place, then they are already convinced.

FWIW, its not 1080p, but the JVC DLA-HX2 retailed for $12,000 just three years ago. You can get it for $600 from AVS, assuming they haven't sold out. When I bought my pj thru their firesale, they sold out in a single day. Takes some effort to find deals.

-jostenmeat

Collapse -
XBR
by h.pyl0r1 / May 10, 2008 9:07 AM PDT

I'VE FOUND THE KDL-52XBR5 FOR $2,799.99 SHIPPED. HAVEN'T READ THE RULES AS FAR AS POSTING BUT YOU CAN FIND IT IF YOU DO A SEARCH FOR THAT MODEL NUMBER ONLINE.

Collapse -
I AGREE, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SOME GOOD DISCOUNTS..........
by Riverledge / May 10, 2008 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: XBR

ON THE SONYS YOU MENTION. YOU MUST BE LOOKING AT MSRP!!!

Both these models can be purchased for HUNDREDS LESS!!!

Shop around......

river.

Collapse -
P.S. BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER; ESPECIALLY DIGITAL.
by Riverledge / May 10, 2008 12:25 PM PDT

best wihes,

river.

Collapse -
yes it is
by swiggins / May 11, 2008 4:27 AM PDT

it might not seem that way in the store, but when you take it home I can promise you will be glad you got the extra 6".........If your gonna pay that kind of money you really should check out the Pioneer's and Panasonic plasma's..........I upgraded from the Sony to a Pioneer, and the difference is unbelievable.

Collapse -
well keep in mind that...
by C0Re / May 11, 2008 11:41 PM PDT

I am looking for 1080p only . with high action packed video games and movies in mind. I have the cash. its saved up just for a tv. Now... since the 6 inches question was answered already..what is the difference between the KDL-52XBR2 and the KDL-XBR4 and the KDL-XBR5

It would be greatly appreciated

Collapse -
Xbr's
by gretzkyv99 / May 11, 2008 11:51 PM PDT

Xbr2 is older Xbr
Xbr4/5 Have 120hz, and better panel

Differences from 4 and 5 is Piano Black on 5, and 18month warranty vs 12 on the 4.
Best 52 or 46 lcd for the money are the new Samsungs. Check out the 52A750 or the 52A650, both excellant televisions and less than the Xbr's.

Collapse -
The difference between the XBR4/5 and the XBR2...
by stuntman_mike / May 12, 2008 1:17 AM PDT

XBR4/5:

Has better black levels
More accurate colors
Higher contrast ratio
And there was a clouding issue (too long an explanation but you can get a definition of clouding on this site or Google it) with some XBR2's that seems to have been fixed.

The XBR4 is a better TV than the XBR2.

Aside from giving my two cents and saying that you look at the new Samsung LCDs and plasmas (the PN58550 is 58" 1080p plasma that is around the same as the 52" XBR4 and it is quite stunning) as well as of course the Pioneer's, I would say that you should at least wait until the 2008 Sony LCDs come out to see what new upgrades they offer.

Good luck

Collapse -
Oh...
by stuntman_mike / May 12, 2008 1:20 AM PDT

like River said, bigger is always better. Especially if you are talking about 1080p. The extra detail becomes more visible the bigger the screen and the closer you sit.

Getting a screen that is 46" would most likely (provided you sit at a normal viewing distance) not offer any perceptible resolution enhancements than a 720p TV at that screen size.

Good luck

Collapse -
Six inches are worth bargaining for
by jirbas / May 12, 2008 2:09 AM PDT

I had been researching TVs forever it seems. I wanted the LG Opus at 52", but nobody had one in stock. I had always done the double take at the stores for the XBRs, but thought no way because of the price.

Well due to the lack of physical availability, and my two local stores had the 52 XBR4 for $800 off, I went to the bargaining table. To not promote either store, I will refer to them as BB and HH.

I went to HH first, requested a better deal since both had the exact same price. $100 down. BB wanted to beat it, another $100 down. I gave HH the chance to beat it and, BANG $100 down.

All in all $2900 flat for a 52" and that beats the 46" sale price. Big money, yes. Big bargain, Yes yes. Worth it, Yes Yes Yes!!!

If you can wait for the next holiday sale or model liquidation, give it a shot to make the stores compete for the sale. I saved $1100 on my six extra inches.

Collapse -
I'd go for size over extra features, if it were me.
by 8IronBob / May 12, 2008 2:20 AM PDT

If it were me, if I was looking at a fixed price on a television, I would go for the bigger size over the smaller one with extra features. Like me, I'm looking at going for either the upcoming Sony W and Z Series televisions myself. With me, it's going to probably be a 46" W4100 or a 40" Z4100, since those will be selling for right around the same price. However, I would sacrifice the 10-bit technology just to have the 120Hz in a larger size with the W Series, if I had a choice for a fixed price.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.