Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Is 2 gb of ddr3 enough to use photoshop?

by Command3rkool / June 15, 2009 5:30 AM PDT

I am thinking about getting an iMac and photoshop cs4, and am wondering if i should upgrade to 4 gb of ddr3 or if i can stick with 2gb and still be able to multi-task a little while using photoshop? (by multi-tasking, i mean something like having a firefox window and skype open)

thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is 2 gb of ddr3 enough to use photoshop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is 2 gb of ddr3 enough to use photoshop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Photoshop
by Charles_Bronson / June 15, 2009 1:43 PM PDT

CS4 doesn't run as well as CS3. I have 4 gigs of RAM and both versions and usually use CS3, unless I'm editing RAW files, using the clone stamp, or feel like using tabbed windows.

Upgrading your RAM couldn't hurt, but the recommended system requirement is 1 gig for CS4. Personally, I'd just buy more RAM, but I'm sure 2 gigs is fine. You can always upgrade in the future if it's too choppy. There's also the option of disabling open GL, changing Cache size ect. I assume your processor is adequate since you have DDR3?

Collapse -
Using Vista? If so, use a thumb drive to add ram!
by RLKrueger / August 12, 2009 3:14 PM PDT

You can use an 8 gig thumb drive to add 5 gigs of ram when you need extra ram for applications such as photoshop. I have used a Thumb Drive to add ram so I could play DVDs without any problem. You can use any thumb drive, regardless of size, I believe. It may max out with the limits of what your machine can handle. That may be why I have 3 gigs and using a Thumb Drive will only "Ready Boost" me another 5 gigs, even if I use an 8 gig drive.

Go to Computer, then right click on Removable disk, Then go to properties and click on the Tab that says "Ready Boost" and click ok. This will let you use your available space on your thumb drive for RAM. Anyone who does this will probably notice a big difference when trying to run several intense programs at once. Remember that your "Ram" is 1000 times faster than if your computer needs to "page" information onto the hard drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?