Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Is 1GB of RAM enough to run Vista Home Premium?

by chandler727 / July 31, 2007 3:41 PM PDT

I just bought a desktop with Windows Vista Home Premium, is 1 GB enough to satisft the needs of the operating system?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is 1GB of RAM enough to run Vista Home Premium?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is 1GB of RAM enough to run Vista Home Premium?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by glb613 / July 31, 2007 8:44 PM PDT

I bought a notebook with only 1 GB, upgraded to 2 GB and the performance improved significantly. Memory's cheap and easy to install.

Collapse -
(NT) Agree! Mine cheap... upgraded to 3GB :)
by glenn30 / July 31, 2007 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: No
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2007 11:26 PM PDT

It does run on our new 1GB laptop but since there are no games on it I think it will stay at 1GB until someday.

Yes, it runs.

Collapse -
I agree...
by John.Wilkinson / August 1, 2007 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Barely.

1GB is entirely doable, but it's very ease to push it to the limits if you multitask or play games, particularly if you rely on shared memory for your graphics card. That's why 2GB is recommended by most users, even though you can get by with 1GB.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
yes, to some extent
by elxr06 / August 1, 2007 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree...

windows vista home premium will run on 1gb mem, but that's only the minimum microsoft says you need. so more ram = more power!

Collapse -
Just be aware
by kpo6969 / August 1, 2007 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: yes, to some extent

Vista memory management is different than XP. See this:

I will give you an example(in my case) I have 3GB system ram
total graphics memory: 1022mb
dedicated graphics memory: 256mb (8600GT)
shared system memory: 766mb
Nvidia Vista 32bit driver 158.24 WHQL

New WHQL driver 162.22 (7/26/07)
total graphics memory: 1535mb
dedicated graphics memory: 256mb
shared system memory: 1279mb

This is Microsoft, not Nvidia

New Nvidia XP 32bit driver 162.18 WHQL (7/26/07) in the release notes it states that performance can be affected with systems having less than 1.5GB of ram.
FYI for all

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?