The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Is 160gb too much for a portable video player?

I am interested in the hard drive size but its no where my price range.

Do you think its worth the price. Is it too big?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is 160gb too much for a portable video player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is 160gb too much for a portable video player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
really depends ....

In reply to: Is 160gb too much for a portable video player?

how much does it cost and how many movies will you want to keep on the device at one time?
I've found that my iPod movie rips come in around 6Gig per 2 hour movie (but i guess that depends on bitrate ripped)
Of course, if you dont have 160GB on your computer hard drive in the first place, the point is kind of moot.

Collapse -
Vector: movies on iPod

In reply to: really depends ....

Vector:

It seems you know a thing or two about ripping movies to your iTunes, to upload on your iPod?

I have my movies at about 1-1.5 gig with a bitrate of 128. The quality seems good... is there a reason why you opt for a higher bitrate that makes your movies approximately 6g?

Collapse -
honestly

In reply to: Vector: movies on iPod

honestly i just use the defaults for the software i have as far as the video, and bump up the audio rate. I only do that because I have a hard time hearing my video sometimes.

Collapse -
What do you plan on doing with it?

If you only plan on listening to music then take in to account...
a minute of music is about 1 MB of space. This differs a bit with different encoding methods, but a 128kb/s MP3 is about 1 MB per minute.

If you want to store a TON of movies on the device then 160 is the way to go. I have an 80 gig with movies that are about 1-1.5 gigs (which look fine watching on a 19" monitor and even better on the iPod's screen) so you could store over 100 movies on the device.

My point is that 160 gigs is a lot of space. An 80 gig drive would easily store more then enough movies to keep you entertained for entire weekend spent at the in-laws.

I have the 30 gig Gigabeat and it holds enough junk to keep me entertained for a week (provided I don't sit there all day everyday watching videos on it).

Collapse -
(NT) it's never too big

Collapse -
Too much

I have several movies, videos, and tons of music on my 30 GB Archos AV500, and I still have room left over. It really depends on how you encode your videos. Archos makes the best portable video devices, period. They were the first to do it, and they continue to be the best at it.

Collapse -
HD Space

In reply to: Too much

Take as much space as you think you need and double it.

I also own an Archos, handy little things. Now I have two PVRs in my house and setup with the IR blaster it does a pretty good job.

I only needed the 30gig because between my laptop, my GFs laptop and my portable laptop drive enclosures I have almost 1 TB, but I RARELY need to transfer anything onto it once I have left the house. Holidays, trips, anything, with that thing packed full, it is hours and hours.

Besides, how long are you really away from a computer that you need 160gig worth of music and videos? The Archos I have sync's up really fast. I loaded mine with like 20 movies and got to watch one on my last trip, just because I was so busy. I couldn't imagine needing 160gig of movies, "just to have around".

Collapse -
(NT) Nothing is ever too much...

Collapse -
Of Course

Don't you know the 640K law?

Collapse -
Not if you watch TV seasons...

I filled my 20gb Cowon A2 immediately with seasons of lost, 24, etc. 20gb gets you like 2 seaosons and 3 or 4 movies, definately not enough for a long trip.

Collapse -
size

there is no thing as too big.

Collapse -
(NT) Which portable has a 160GB drive?

Collapse -
Yes

Quite simply, yes. High quality video is always worth having and it comes at a high file size / price. If you're going to watch stuff on a small screen at least make sure you enjoy the experience as much as possible.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.