TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is 1080p for me??????

by katpeeler / December 12, 2006 6:24 PM PST

I have been looking at the 46' 1080p lcds real hard, particularly the Sony, Samsung and Sharp. But the price realy scares me. I can save a lot of dough going with a 1080i lcd. This will be the main TV of the house to watch movies, SD televison and playing my xbox 360. Could I get away with buying a 1080i????? I currently have a 32 tube TV so anything will be an improvement. Will I disappointed with the decision???....Please I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is 1080p for me??????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is 1080p for me??????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1080p is only for HD-DVD/B-Ray DVDs
by jcrobso / December 12, 2006 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: Is 1080p for me??????

Yes the ONLY 1080p source material will be HD-DVD/B-Ray DVD and the new and BIG$$$ PS3. EVERYTHING else will be 480i/p, 720p or 1080i.
Unless you are planing to get the above in the next couple of years there is no reason to get a 1080p set. John

Collapse -
1080P po po
by stewart norrie / December 13, 2006 3:09 AM PST

I have the scoop on 1080P. Just got the new Sony blue ray player hooked up with h.d.m.i. to my Toshiba 72" d.l.p. and the difference is a TAD better than 1080I BUT were talking about 72" so on a smaller screen size you would not see the difference PERIOD. SO fact if you have a hi-end t.v. like Sony or a front projection system 1080P would be the way to go stew

Collapse -
I feel the newest big LCDs show much promise, but my opinion
by NM_Bill / December 13, 2006 8:54 AM PST

is wait for prices to come down while some current technology implementation issues sort themselves out.

Will be a BIG improvement for your viewing pleasure, but do you need to try to be at the state of the art?
Stewee is one of our sometimes clowns, but when he says the degree of incremental improvement is maybe 5%, we believe him that it is marginal. You can save a lot of bucks with, for instance, 1080i.

Heck, I had to buy into newer tech almost 4 years ago when disappionted that a Sony XBR was unrepairable at only 4 years. Comparable sets now are truly only one third of the point that I bought in at. Time can be a very practical ally for those of us without big bucks to try to keep up with.

Yes, some LCDs have that full complement of pixels, & that's great, but perhaps not cost effective yet.

Collapse -
im begging to agree
by katpeeler / December 13, 2006 4:23 PM PST

that the 1080p isnt for me. The last TV I bought was 10 years ago and I do understand in the electronic world that there is always something better around the corner so cutting edge today is outdated tomorroo. But the truth is I have the TV FEVER NOW and thinking I should go with a good 1080i lcd. Any suggestions for one 46' and plays standard tv well???????

Collapse -
How about 50"?
by Coryphaeus / December 13, 2006 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: im begging to agree

Look at the Sony SCoS RP.

Collapse -
That depends...
by Buckwilder / December 14, 2006 1:05 AM PST

Firstly on your budget...if you have the bucks, go for it.
In the end the equation is pretty simple: HD-DVD and BluRay look amazing in 1080p. Your Xbox 360 is a native 720p resolution machine, but capable of cranking out a 1080p signal through its HD-DVD add-on. rest assured, the next Xbox will be 1080p gamesm all the way. So the question you want to future-proof yourself so that in the next 5 years you are not regretting only having a 720p native or 1080i native T.V? What the others have said is true, the difference is negligible, and would be very content with a non-1080p T.V, but it is nice to indulge (again--if you can afford it) in a crme of the crop T.V. HOWEVER, be weary, because there are only a handfull of T.V's that tout 1080p capability that can actually FULLY RESOLVE 1080p material. Some 1080p displays will downconvert the signal and then product a line-doubled a 540p image. Sure, it looks great, but this is not a 'real' 1080p display. The Sony SXRD is native 1080p, as is the Pioneer plasma 50 inch 1080p display, but both come (especially the Pioneer) at a very expensive price. Truth be told I don't think (and I could be wrong) that any current LCD display will fully resolve a 1080p signal. My advice: wait another year...1080p really took stride in the past 6-12 months...give it at least a full 12-24 months and you'll see the prices come down and the technology improve...

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / December 14, 2006 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: That depends...

Prices are so low now they are not going to get much cheaper . and I dont see why you all crab about better picture quality WHATS BEYOND 35M.M. film quality 1080P h.d.m.i. 1.3 well go ahead and wait while I injoy my old piece of crap Toshiba 72" old technology d.l.p. with the loud wheels ,lamps and fans WHAT IS BEYOND PERFECTION well I guess thats what you are looking for ha ha stew

Collapse -
Wrong, check your facts!
by Buckwilder / December 14, 2006 3:19 AM PST

The average price of flat panel displays has dropped 22% in the past year...and that trend will continue. Perhaps not to the same extent mind you, but overall the prices will drop. Also, only now are flat panel displays rivaling the picture quality of a reference quality CRT direct view T.V set, so pardon me for being in the 'know', but picture qualty CAN improve. Resolution is but one aspect in the grand scheme, as time goes on things like contrast ratio and color accuracy will improve overall picture quality...keep enjoying your 72inch fly wheel T.V, just make sure you turn up your stereo so you can hear above the

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / December 14, 2006 6:54 AM PST

Donmt want to burst your bubble but there is no noise, no reapir problems nada. These are problems that you imanage but are not true Also if d.l.p. is such crap then why do they use d.l.p. for movie theater use? sorry you dont see sony t.v.s at movie theatersIam so sorry but I get mad when folks knocl d.l.p. when they dont know what there talking about stew

Collapse -
by raechris / December 15, 2006 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: Is 1080p for me?????? has written on this subject and basically said it is NOT worth the price premium. My friend has Sony 55 inch SXRD, arguably the best non-CRT technology today (LcOS). Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful picture. He has the 360 and PS3, x360 HDDVD, Toshiba X1, etc. I am glad he did it, bc I would not spend the money. You are always going to have regular television/cable/satellite look "off" since the TV stretches the program material to fill the 2MM pixels. The best television hands down (though many will disagree bc it lacks sex appeal) is the Sony KD34XBR970, which today is a steal at less than 1,000 on sale. Mine was 2000 two years ago and that was the deal of a lifetime then. Every time I see a new fandango set up and come home, it instantly hits me that my picture is better (full disclosure=I had the set calibrated by a professional). This includes another friend who has a home theater with top of the line everything on a 100 plus inch screen. Bluray is blurry BTW, HDDVD is the way to go through the x360 (although the x1 is slightly better). Hope this helps.

Collapse -
There is no such thing as a 1080i LCD
by breslin / December 15, 2006 11:31 PM PST

An LCD display is a fixed pixel display. In other words the display only has one output resolution, most are 1280x720 or 1920x1080. Interlaced (i) and progressive (P) designation are hold overs from the CRT scanning method of display. Input sources are still interlaced or progressive, but the LCD TV will convert them to its native, or fixed, resolution. When the specs for an LCD says 1080i they are referring to an input capability not a display capability.

Since LCD displays are inherently "Progressive" any interlaced input will be de-interlaced;

When an LCD with a 1280x720 resolution receives a 1080i input signal the TV will de-interlace the signal and scale it to 1280x720. You do reduce the resolution when this happens, how much it affects the picture will depend on the quality and complexity of the source, and the quality of the de-interlacing and scaling in the TV.

When an LCD with a 1920x1080 display receives a 1080i signal, the TV will de-interlace the signal, but it does not need to scale the signal so you will display the full 1920x1080 information from the source. If the input signal is 1080P the TV does not need to de-interlace the signal and can, but does not always, display the signal without any additional processing.

There are several generally available sources for 1920x1080 material;

1)HD TV (cable, satellite, and over the air) - these will be 1080i or 720P.
2)HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players - these can be 720p, 1080i or 1080P
3)Upscaling DVD players - these can be 720P, 1080i or 1080P. These upscaling DVD players are are of course just scaling the 480i from the DVD.

There has been some discussion about the difference in using a 1080i and a 1080P input with a 1920x1080 LCD, or DLP, TV. Some say there will not be any difference in the picture, some say there will. Let's take a Blu-Ray player as an example. The Blu-Ray disc is encoded in 1080P @24fps (usually). Most Blu-Ray players (probably all) will convert the 1080P/24 to 1080i/60 then either send the 1080i signal to the Tv or de-interlace the 1080i signal and send the resulting 1080P signal to the TV. Since a 1920x1080LCD will always display in 1080P mode, the TV will de-interlace the 1080i signal and display it, or if it receives the 1080P signal, display it without de-interlacing. In either case we are displaying a 1080P signal. So, if there is a difference in the picture we see with the 1080i and 1080P inputs it would seem to be related to differences in the quality of the de-interlacing that is done by the Blu-Ray player and the TV. The de-interlacing process is not a minor issue. In the few comparisons I've done, the only time I could tell a difference was when I used an outboard processor and the differences where minor then.

In summary, if you get a high quality LCD you will be tickled pink with a 1280x720, and likely, tickled red with a 1920x1080.

Collapse -
by katpeeler / December 16, 2006 7:06 PM PST

Ok, thanx for all the input. But I have heard time and time again about it depends how well the tv scales the signal. What can I look for in the spec sheets of lcd tvs to see if they "scale" the signals well???...I'm using directv as a signal source with no HD signal. And which 46 1080p lcd "scales" the best, the Sony or the Samsung??????....Santa is around the corner

Collapse -
No specs
by HTHMAN / December 17, 2006 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: scaling

You will not find anything in the specs saying "I have a good scaler" or "I have a crappy scaler" Spend some time, if you can, looking at SD and DVD sources as well as HD sources on the TVs you are considering. Buy the one that does the best job.

This is hard to do in most stores, so you can read the reviews and pay attention to the ones that they say give better pictures with SD and DVD sources. Those probably have the better scalers.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?