TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

IS 1080P BETTER THAN 1080I

by stewart norrie / October 20, 2006 4:34 AM PDT

Yesterday I went to Best Buy They had two Samsung 40" l.c.d. set side by side one showing from a satellite system Nothing but trailers on h.d. net This program seems to have the best 1080I display I have ever seen . The second samsung was showing a blue ray demo disk and yes the blue ray picture did look sharper and had more punch to it I also was able to play with the remote to get the best picture from both sets. I am still waiting for my new Sony player. The problem with my present DENON 2910/955 unit is picture quality from one disk to anotherWhen I rent a new releace its going to look great or crappy have a nice day all. I know this post is stupid I just cant think of anything to post TOSHIBA RULES HA HA STEWEEEEEEE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IS 1080P BETTER THAN 1080I
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IS 1080P BETTER THAN 1080I
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"IS 1080P BETTER THAN 1080I/" Yes, No and maybe!
by jcrobso / October 20, 2006 5:27 AM PDT

Well if same source was on both TVs and one was 1080i and the other a 1080p only then could you tell, maybe.

"new releace its going to look great or crappy" This all boils down to bandwidth or how much compression was use when the DVD was made.
If the moive is two hours long and they put one hour of "extras" on the DVD something has to give and that is picture quality.
YOUR STILL WAITING FOR THE B-Ray player?????

As for i vrs p debate, over the last couple of weeks of watching football games, some on NBC(1080i) othes on ABC(720p) and FOX(720p) both look very good! What I noticed that when the camera is following the play the player running looks sharp, but on the 1080i brodcast the grass just blurs out untill the camera stops moving then it looks "sharp" again. On 720p broadcast the when the runner if following the runner the grass stays "sharper" dosen't blur as much. This just verified that the biggest difference between i and p will be seen on rapidly moving images. John

Collapse -
1080p better (usually)
by bevillan / October 20, 2006 5:52 AM PDT

When I was TV shopping before I bought my SXRD, I was able to view the Sony SXRD and JVC LCoS 1080p tvs next to 1080i DLPs fed the same 1080i signal and the 1080p's just looked superior to the 1080i TVs. My SXRD upconverts/deinterlaces any signal up to 1080p and has a very good video processor in it which will keep the conversion top-notch...I assume the JVC one does as well.

For me, I can just tell a sharper picture on 1080p sets compared to 1080i. But, I was viewing high quality 1080p sets and not the more mediocre ones coming out from other brands.

If you want native 1080p sets, get an LCoS.

Collapse -
1080p better (usually)
by jcrobso / October 20, 2006 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: 1080p better (usually)

Usually a 1080i LCoS set looks better than a 1080i DLP.
I was a Sam's the other day and the have a row of RP sets setup, when I first saw them I was 40' away, I just slowly walked toward the set that had the best picture, it turned out to be a JVC LCoS set(not suprized). The Sony LCD-RP looked realy bad by compairsion. John

Collapse -
Jcrob I WANTED A SXRD SO BAD BUT
by stewart norrie / October 20, 2006 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: 1080p better (usually)

I also thought the J.V.C had a better picture than the Sony the difference was the j.v.c had a much sharper picture but the Sony does do a better job with a s.d. source, but as you know I love my Blobisha monster The only problem is 72" really shows any defect in the transmission and it seems the show on h.d. net NOTHING BUT TRAILERS is eyepopping check it out have a nice day all blowhard steweeeeee

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) when are you getting your sony blu-ray?
by masterying01 / October 20, 2006 11:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
I think Stewee got boned!
by Dan Filice / October 20, 2006 11:47 AM PDT

Yes, how long has he been waiting? Seems like two months. I think the manufacturer used Stewee's money to finance their manufacturing process.

On the CNET reviews here where they compare both the Sony SXRD and the Sony XBR2, they state that the Sony SXRD has slightly better blacks but the XBR2 does a better job displaying SD material and has more accurate colors overall. Interesting. I read elsewhere that the XBR2 comes with a spare bulb (interesting).

I agree with John about the 720p looking sharper on moving cameras than 1080i. With 1080i you're not looking at two alternating fields (did I say this correctly?). On 720p you see both fields displayed on each solid frame of video. To me, this should make diagonal lines and moving blocky text look better too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?