TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is 1000W too much ?

by lucknowm / April 4, 2008 1:52 AM PDT

I have a 30' x 12' area, with one 30' side open.

Is a HTIAB of 1000W adequate or it is too much ?

Raj.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is 1000W too much ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is 1000W too much ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A lot depends on the speakers
by jcrobso / April 4, 2008 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Is 1000W too much ?

what kind of speakers are you using? John

Collapse -
1000W Too much.
by lucknowm / April 4, 2008 3:44 AM PDT

110 Watts per Channel Minimum into 8 Ohms, 2 Channels Driven, FTC

This is Onkyo HT SR800.

Collapse -
by givemeaname / April 4, 2008 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: 1000W Too much.

My dad had something like that but it was a sony HTIB & also 1000wts, he has too crank the thing up to almost 100% to hear the speakers in a 25'X15' room.

Your mostly paying for the reciever & they throw in some cheap speakers. Look at up grading the speakers in a year or 2.

How will you be placing the speakers in that room?? I thinking that the back speakers are way too small for that sized room

Collapse -
actually. not nearly enough, at least with HTIB
by jostenmeat / April 4, 2008 5:25 AM PDT

those specs are bs. While I believe Onkyo offers good value, I don't beleive their specs a whole lot. For instance an entry level Onkyo HTIB claimed 1000w a couple years ago. They include the sub wattage in that figure (which I already don't believe is 200+w). My NAD amp is rated less than 1000w total, but weighs THREE times as much as the Onkyo receiver, and it doesn't even have a processor or preamplifier built in. We wont even get into current.

A room that big, IMO, can happily use an outboard amp, depending on volumes obtained, distances from speakers, and speakers chosen. If not an outboard amp, please get the beefiest receiver you can. At least if you want sound that's not distorting and compressing like crazy. I guarantee you that most HTIBs will distort and compress if I was using them in a room that big.

Collapse -
btw
by jostenmeat / April 4, 2008 5:40 AM PDT

two of the most knowledgable folks Ive run into both use about 3,500 watts on their computer system. They are both DIY guys, one who uses mostly TLS designs and Dynaudio drivers for the rears, and the other who not only does DIY speakers, but DIY rooms.

Collapse -
What kind of Watts??
by HTHMAN / April 4, 2008 10:45 AM PDT

When you look at the specs of an HTIB, it may be 200 Watts per channel at 1000Hz at 10% THD for example. When you look at a quality receiver, those Watts will be listed as across the spectrum of 20-20,000Hz at maybe 0.09% THD. Under those conditions, the HTIB may only put out 15 or 20 Watts. Compare apples with apples. All Watts are not created equal.

Collapse -
Numbers can be almost meaningless sales hype.
by NM_Bill / April 4, 2008 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: What kind of Watts??

HTIBs are poor cousins to better equipment. Their THD (total harmonic distortion) may be stated at one or two percent & that is pretty sloppy. If you do listen to a source at 10% THD you will be covering your ears & ready to exit the room. Bad stuff.

Yes, quality receivers often have their THD stated at 0.09% & that is a whole world better quality. Those folks who care about sound will be replacing speakers in a short time if they got an HTIB for expediency sake.

For anyone who can consider the alternative of a receiver & a couple of good speaekrs to start with stereo will have a far better product good for many years compared to HTIBs that almost always have one fatal flaw or another.

For someone who buys an Sunday Newspaper ad section HTIB from a big box A/V retailer like BB or CC, I could select two moderate price high efficiency speakers run by low wattage output amp & blow any of those systems away.

What would they have that I wouldn't? Apparently just a fast track solution into surround sound on the cheap. Quality matters.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.