Question

Irreversible loss of speed following streaming request

Hi folks,

Flat has wireless internet and my girlfriend has a very fast, consistent connection using the inbuilt wireless card of her laptop.

I have been less lucky. I use a Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter which has worked perfectly well in the past. However, on this network, it does not. On the rare occasion that I boot up my computer to find it working fine, my speed promptly plummets as soon as I request streaming from something like iPlayer. The speed then remains completely unusable, even after rebooting. Only rarely does it come back okay again.

Today I reinstalled the adapter's driver from the provided CD. To my delight it worked perfectly again and for a long time. I then tried to load a You Tube video which loaded very slowly. Shortly afterwards I tried to play a Top Gear video from a website called Street Fire and the exact instant I clicked play it failed again.

When such a failure occurs the connection drops to a completely unusable speed. The wireless icon on the taskbar simply drops one bar from the full bars it was showing previously. If I leave it two minutes it returns to full bars again but the speed remains just as useless.

What's going on here? I don't have access to the wireless router.

Summary
- Two computers in our flat
- Wireless router which serves about 3 flats, including ours
- One computer has a consistently good connection
- My computer's connection is catastrophically slow
- When my computer's connection is working fast (rarely), streaming appears to trigger the return to slow speed.
- When going from high speed to slow speed the wireless icon shows a drop in signal of one bar until returning to full bars again. Speed remains just as slow.
- My computer with this same adapter worked fine at my parents house before we moved.

Specs.
- Windows 7
- Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter V6
- Dell XPS420

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Irreversible loss of speed following streaming request
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Irreversible loss of speed following streaming request
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums