HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IRQs

by bw92 / August 4, 2006 3:05 AM PDT

Ihave been having intermittent DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors on my system. I have been reading about these errors and i think i have tracked the problem down, but i don't know how to fix it.

System info:
I am running XP service pack 2; AMD 1.48GHz/256 MBRam; 160G HD Western Digital IDE

I was able to "shift" key my way past all the startup processes and get into windows.

I looked at my IRQs and i seem to have 4 things on IRQ9:
ACPI Compliant System
ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

I have been having intermittent audio issues to, so i assume they are related.

All of this is after i had what I suspected to be a crash 1.5 weeks ago (I was in a continually rebooot sequence-never saw a stop error or blue screen). I replaced the drive and reloaded software.

How do i move the audio to a different IRQ and what are the other 3 items? Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IRQs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IRQs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can't
by jnbhoward / August 4, 2006 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: IRQs

The PCI bus, and all of its successors, have automatic IRQ management, and that includes allowing devices to share a single IRQ. You're no longer able to assign IRQs manually.

Your problem stems from something else.

While it probably won't help with your problem, an additional 256MB of RAM will make the time inbetween problems much more enjoyable. XP wants about 256MB of RAM just for itself, so having an additional 256MB (or more) for other programs to use will make things run quite a bit more smoothly.

Collapse -
re: You can't
by bw92 / August 4, 2006 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: You can't

Thank you...not a bad idea. I hadn't even considered that.

Collapse -
sound
by VJ_LYNCH / August 4, 2006 3:16 AM PDT

are you useing onboard sound chip or independent
sound card - as in sound blaster/audigy ect -?.

you can disable the onboard sound chip in your Bios.

wich will clear up the irq's for that channel.

Collapse -
RE: sound
by bw92 / August 4, 2006 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: sound

I am assuming it is on boad sound. I don't see a sound card in the tower. I have an ASUS A7A266 motherboard, a nic card, an ASUS USB/MIR card, and a FAX PCI card (which i don't use. Thanks.

Collapse -
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
by billzhills / August 4, 2006 3:23 AM PDT
Microsoft Technet

Stop message 0x000000D1 Descriptive text: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Usual cause: An attempt was made to touch pageable memory at a process internal request level (IRQL) that was too high. This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses. Kernel-mode drivers are forbidden to access pageable memory at a high IRQL.

"intermittent audio issues" ..... May be your answer to BSOD.....

Bill
Collapse -
kicker
by VJ_LYNCH / August 4, 2006 3:36 AM PDT

thats the kicker, I would buy a cheapie sound card
or a good one / up to you.

and disable the onboard sound chip .

as bill shows in his post -

"intermittent audio issues".

Collapse -
RE: sound
by bw92 / August 4, 2006 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: kicker

Okay...so do you think that this was the previous problem? The reason i ask this is...as far as i know nothing else has changed on my system, except the drive and i didn't notice any audio issues until the last 3 - 4 days. I just don't want to spend $ unnecessarily and it not "fix" it. Happy Thanks.

Collapse -
Sound Card possible issue .....
by billzhills / August 4, 2006 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: sound

First I would go to the Device Mng and roll back the Sound card drivers to a previons ver, if it exists. If not uninstall the device, reboot and cancel the New Found Hwd Wiz. Use the CD containing the MB drivers to re-install the Sound card drivers.

If you do not have the MB device driver CD the Sound device drivers can be download at the ASUS web site.

Changing the IRQs will not address the isue you are having. The error message indicates incorrect drivers, failing memory or MB.

.... Another thought ... open the case and check for dust . I've had a few systems exibit weird issues; due to a line of dust resting against the memory module and top of memory slot.

Bill

Collapse -
RE: Sound Card possible issue .....
by bw92 / August 4, 2006 6:25 AM PDT

Thanks, I dust it periodically and every time i have issues..great idea though. I will try that if it comes up again. I'm not sure what i did, but it is booting up now just fine...hence intermittent, huh? The only thing I did was remove the pci/fax card i'm not using-no dial up for me-and the IRQs changed as a result, but i still have multiple items on that irq. Perhaps it is happier now? We'll see...i may be back in a little while. Thanks to all for your help!

Collapse -
try
by VJ_LYNCH / August 4, 2006 4:41 AM PDT

click on start / right click on My computer - then properties .
then click hardware / device manager /

scroll down to Sound,vid,game controllers

right click on your sound card or chip /properties/resources

there u should be able to mess with the irq settings.

Or re-boot / press Delete . go into bios and change irq settings.

remember what setting u have before u change / so u can change back if u have too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.