General discussion

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

hi there,
Somebody please help me..I've been struggling to find a solution to this problem for the past two weeks,everytime i start up my computer after a break of a few hours atleast, the computer reboots a couple of times, or i 've to reboot it a couple of times and finally it shows a blue screen with the following error message..
""""" IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR _EQUAL
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you have got this message, restart..
TECHNICAL INFO:
***STOP: 0 X 0000000A(0 X 00003AFE, 0 X 00000002, 0 X 00000000, 0 X 804E30C2) """"
what i do then is restart the computer and everything appears fine..
my system config..
80gb hard disk
512mb ram...in 2 cards of 256mb ddr each,
win xp pro
asus geforce4 mx
.....i had bought one of the ram cards recently...i thought it may be a ram error but i ran several memory test offered my microsoft and another that i found on the net..did not show any error....i also downloaded the driver guide toolkit and was sown as i aws having all the lates drivers....please help me out on this one......

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
STOP error messages

Have a look at this site for TroubleShooting STOP messages, and scroll down to the "0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" section.

This provides you with a link to Microsoft's Common Messages page here.

(The page I have given is for your Stop message error).

See if those help.

Something else you can check is your system log through EVENT VIEWER (an admin tool that can also be accessed from the RUN box with eventvwr.exe) to see what it shows. If you locate the event go to this page and research it http://www.eventid.net/search.asp .(Thanks to Edward O'Daniel in these forums for this advice).

WIth all this, hopefully you can narrow down the problem.

Mark

- Collapse -
Re: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

Stop 0x0A it?s almost the worst because it could have lots of causes. However, due to the fact that you added a new memory module, that could be the problem. Yes, I?m aware that you used the MS test and another (unnamed). However, these are not conclusive. For example, the MS test it?s not so comprehensive, as result you can skip it as accuracy.

From your hardware configuration?s disclosure, no one can guess what kind of memory module you bought (in the future, use a third party utility such as Belarc for a better hardware description).

The simpletest test trial is this: just uninstall the new module and see if the error vanishes.

P.S. Those pointed pages from Mark?s message are only for reference. If you have a defective memory module, none of them will help you out.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

- Collapse -
thanks guys

hi ...
thanks a lot for that quick reply...
i'll check it out and tell u if its worked...i downloaded belarc like u said and i'm sending u wat it found out...it does not give any differentiation for the 2 ram modules...if it is the ram that is causing the problem then does that mean i'll have to get a new ram ???? coz i just bought one...

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional (build 2600)

memory modules- 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 256 MB
Slot '1' has 256 MB
Slot '2' is Empty
Slot '3' is Empty

drives-
82.30 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
20.32 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152C
YAMAHA CRW2200E [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

display
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X [Display adapter]
Samsung S/T 57/56E/V [Monitor] (13.8"vis, s/n HHAR924866, September 2001)

multimedia
Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller

main circuit board
Board: KOBIAN PVM266aM 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01

system model
KOBIAN PVM266aM 1.0

anyway i'll try out ur suggestions and let u kno..thanks a lot

- Collapse -
If the new bought memory module ...

... proves that?s causing the problem, it?s a warranty issue, so the seller should replace it.

You are welcome and Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

- Collapse -
A possible solution

I had a similar problem. It got solved by updating the Nvidia Display drive for Geforcee and also I changed my Power Supply from 300W to 400W. I think that Geforce video card is consuming lot of power.

I hope that this helps.

- Collapse -
my modem driver

I had the same problem but it was my modem. I bought a Best Data 56K modem and the software that came with it was the reason I was getting that error message.

CNET Forums

Forum Info