Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Irfanview

I just downloaded the latest version of Irfanview. After three tutorials, I still cannot figure out what it will do that my other graphics and photo editing programs will not do. I realize that a lot of people use it. Am I missing something?

WinMe
IE6 SP1
WMP9
MS PhotoEditor
MSPaint
PaintShopPro8.10
FinePixViewer
PowerPoint Slide Viewer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Irfanview
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Irfanview
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Irfanview (it's a viewer/converter...)

In reply to: Irfanview

But what it can do is at http://www.irfanview.com/ which I won't duplicate here.

Why some will download and use such is they don't have a viewer or convertor for some graphic format. There is also some finer optimizing for some of the graphic formats.

Not everyone needs it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Irfanview (it's a viewer/converter...)

In reply to: Re:Irfanview (it's a viewer/converter...)

I read all that was on that website before I downloaded it, and it looked like some of the same things I can do with PSP. Just thought I'd ask because others with PSP still recommend Irfanview. Figured perhaps I had missed some important feature. Thanks.

Collapse -
Look at the supported file formats.

In reply to: Re:Re:Irfanview (it's a viewer/converter...)

It's longer than most...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Look at the supported file formats.

In reply to: Look at the supported file formats.

Another free graphic tool (viewer, converter, modifier) that has an much longer list of supported graphic formats is XnView.

XnView can read about 400 formats, and writes about 50.
IrfanView can read about 40 formats and write about 20.
However the most popular formats, the ones you are most likely to ever need, are supported by both.

XnView is larger, and more complicated, but it does have a LOT more features, especially in the editing area. However, being more feature rich makes it harder to fully master, and also slower to startup. Also, it requires an installation, whereas IrfanView can be run without being installed. XnView will not fit on a floppy (remember those?) but IrfanView will, with a lot of space left, too.

One of the things going for XnView, though, is that it comes not only in dozens of languages, but also for many different operating systems (Windows, Mac, Amiga, UNIX of many flavors, etc.)

Collapse -
Re:Irfanview

It's free. It rolls a lot of functions (batch renaming, slide shows, format conversions) that the other programs have all into one package. And it's free.

Collapse -
I Use It, Because It Is FAST !

Want to see a graphic?

Double click the file name and BANG, it is on the screen.

Collapse -
Very small and fast program

It does almost all of the basic picture editing functions, ie. resizing, cropping, color depth, color enhancement, and a choice of picture size and
placement when printing. Opening many types of graphics files has already been mentioned.
I have a few other editing programs which are huge, and of course include some more options, but I wind up using Irfanview about 95% of the time.

Collapse -
Re: Very small and fast program, with +++

In reply to: Very small and fast program

Along with everything already mentioned about my favorite tool, IrfanView, (free, viewer, multi-format converter, basic editor, cropper, etc.) there is also:

1) the ability to use it as a very nice screen (or active window) capture tool, a slide show viewer either within the tool or to create stand-alone .EXE files that do not require other files.

2) It also is small! you can place the whole program (it doesn't need to be installed) on a floppy and still have more than half the floppy left to place other files and pictures. that make it very portable.

3) You can use it to view/edit the EXIF info in photos (camera recorded details - like camera type and lens settings, exposure times, etc) and the IPTC data (keywords, personal details, captions, credits, etc.) very tricky.

4) easily see the Hex data of the picture.

5) to move or copy large amounts of pictures from one place to another with or without file renaming performed at the same time.

6) an easy "Copy Shop" for those that have a scanner (or any TWAIN device) and printer to easily make captures and prints.

7) creating multi-page JPM, LDF or TIF images (not many, if any other, free tools can do this).

8, 9 and 10) it's free and fast and free! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!