Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Irene

by Josh K / August 26, 2011 1:21 AM PDT

Anyone in its path can use this thread to check in, let everyone know how you're getting through it, etc.

I'm in Manhattan, five floors up, and not in any of the evacuation zones. I've been through this before (Gloria in '85) and I think we'll be OK. Stocking up on non-perishables, got extra flashlight batteries and will make sure phones are charged. Not much else we can do other than ride it out and hope for the best.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Irene
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Irene
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have family in Kitty Hawk, NC
by grimgraphix / August 26, 2011 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Irene

They live on the back side of Kitty Hawk on Colington Island - the Sound side, not the ocean side of the Outer Banks. They are choosing to stay and ride out the storm. Will be checking in with them from time to time. If anything remarkable happens I will let y'all know.

Collapse -
Just talked to my family on the Outer Banks.
by grimgraphix / August 27, 2011 3:32 AM PDT

Said they weathered the storm well, and people are now out and about checking on damage and seeking out emergency beer provisions.

Devil

As I said before, they live on the sound side of the barrier islands. I've seen some TV footage today, of some fishing pier on Atlantic Beach that was pretty much destroyed but there seems to be little wrong on the part of the coast my family lives on.

here is a link to some VERY SLOW web cam links of the outer banks including one for Colington Harbor...

http://www.obxcams.com/index.html

Collapse -
I'm ready for any eventuality in Jersey and of course I'm...
by Tony Holmes / August 27, 2011 8:10 AM PDT

well prepared as any Libertarian would be;)

*Be self reliant and help your neighbor when you can.Most of all,"do not rely on the Govt to help you because when seconds matter,the Govt.is only minutes away"*.

Of course I had to work today and the shop was dead so I took the opportunity to charge all of my LED work lights and brought them all home with their chargers.Including my 96 led underhood light which will light an entire room like sunlight for 8 hrs!!!!.

But of course I had to make a "pit stop" at the Liquor Store for storm supplies....lol.

From there I went to Sears Hardware and got two more quarts of 2 cycle engine fuel to suppliment what I already have.: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-40-1-2-cycle-fuel-mix/p-07136521000P This is good stuff and I reccommend it to anyone who uses a weed whacker or chainsaw occasionlly.

I have two chainsaws,a 12in "pig sticker" I carry in my car and a 20in Craftsman,they both run great on the stuff!

Of course I hope I don't have to fire either one up,but I'll gladly help any neighbor that needs help after the storm with their trees!

I live in a large four family and my upstairs neighbor has two full bottles of propane for his Weber grill.We have good neighbors,food,a means to cook it and lots of cold beer.

And of course,just in case it's needed,This is sitting in my gun safe with several boxes of OO ought Buck: http://www.impactguns.com/mossberg-590-mariner-12ga-9-shot-cb-package-synthetic-20-inch-50299-3-015813502993.aspx

Collapse -
i have to ask
by jonah jones / August 28, 2011 1:53 AM PDT

Mossberg 590 Mariner, 12Ga, 9 Shot, CB Package, Synthetic, 20 Inch

what does the CB Package do?

jonah "sure could use some of that rain" jones

Collapse -
RE: CB Package
by JP Bill / August 28, 2011 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: i have to ask
Collapse -
as Pappy allus said
by jonah jones / August 28, 2011 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: CB Package

"you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear"

guess he was wrong Happy

Collapse -
I would guess, Jonah...
by J. Vega / August 28, 2011 9:12 AM PDT

Jonah, I would guess that CB Package meant collapsible buttstock, as opposed to the standard one with a fixed buttstock.

Collapse -
Beats me Jonah,I own that exact gun and....
by Tony Holmes / August 28, 2011 8:17 PM PDT

CB package isn't mentioned on the box it came in nor in the owner's manual...lol.I checked Mossberg's site and they don't even use the term describing the gun.

I'll take a guess that it's dealer/advertiser speak for "Changeable Buttstock package".

It comes with both the traditional shoulder stock and a stupid "Hollywood" pistol grip stock along with the mounting studs to use either stock.

Collapse -
a quick tour of youtube
by jonah jones / August 29, 2011 5:39 AM PDT

and it's Centre Balanced Rifles

some of the kits came out of 'starship troopers' Happy

Collapse -
I'm in California
by volvogirl / August 27, 2011 8:24 AM PDT

But I have all my TVs on Weather Channel 24/7. We were just in Outer Banks in May first time. Drove from CA 8,500 miles 4 weeks! Went to Key West and up to OBX then home. We went the last week in April and was affected by the Tornado outbreak accross the South. So we were there! We recognize all the places. I was glad we went there and saw it in case OBX got wiped out.

ps....what does the X in OBX stand for?

Collapse -
The 'X' doesn't really stand for anything ...
by Bill Osler / August 27, 2011 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm in California

I'm not an expert on the Outer Banks but this is the best explanation I've seen:
Creator of OBX slogan loses trademark battle in court | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.comDouglas came up with the OBX abbreviation in 1994, borrowing the idea from similar shorthands used in Europe.

It MAY be that the 'X' was inspired in part by the sound of the 'ks' at the end of 'Banks' but you would have to ask the guy who claims to have popularized the abbreviation.

Collapse -
OBX...... found this
by jonah jones / August 28, 2011 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm in California

seahawg05-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Two logos you can take to the Banks
By Arthur O. Murray

If he has to, Jim Douglas is willing to be an SOB about SOBX. The
acronym stands for Southern Outer Banks, which he says is a rip-off of
OBX, his logo for the Outer Banks. The Kitty Hawk resident came up with
it — OB for Outer Banks, X to make it plural — in 1994. He spent $250
for 2,500 stickers, which he put on cars parked at his three
restaurants. "It was a couple of months before I started selling them."
Next came OBX key chains and license plates, then clothing. In '96, he
and three partners formed OBX-Stock Inc. to manage the logo. It appears
on 35 items sold in North Carolina, Virginia and Pennsylvania. Most are
manufactured for OBX-Stock, but it licenses the logo to a microbrewery
and a water bottler. He won't reveal revenue but says sales have grown
each year.
The company has stopped a Pennsylvania cap company, an Outer Banks
real-estate office and others from using it. Four years ago, it applied
for a trademark, granted in July. Now he's mulling action against
Atlantic Beach resident Christie Roberson, who says SOBX stands for the
"more relaxed, laid-back lifestyle" south of Cape Hatteras. She puts it
on clothing and souvenirs sold in about 50 stores. She not only has her
own trademark, she got it first — in May 2001.
Laura Gasaway, a UNC Chapel Hill law professor, says it's not unusual
for similar logos to be trademarked, but they're usually for different
products or have a different look. OBX is always in an oval; SOBX
sometimes is and sometimes has a compass over the O. "They may be
different enough," she says. It's up to one of the trademark holders to
challenge the other.
That would likely be Douglas, who would have to prove Roberson is
cashing in on goodwill created by his symbol. That she got her
trademark first doesn't matter, Gasaway says. The key is who began
using it first. Roberson's trademark application says she didn't use it
commercially until 2000.
But Roberson, whom Douglas denied permission to use SOBX a couple of
years ago, maintains the two logos, like the places they represent, are
distinct. "We're kind of like vanilla and chocolate, like North
Carolina and South Carolina." Douglas isn't buying it: "Without OBX,
there is no SOBX."

Collapse -
More news from the Outer Banks.
by grimgraphix / August 28, 2011 5:11 PM PDT

Well my family have a house on a canal that feeds into the sound side of the outer banks. The storm surge of the hurricane caused the water to first draw out of the canal. Later, it came back up and caused the back yard to flood, creeping into the ground floor of the house (just used for storage - no finished rooms) The flooding allowed a pantoon boat from the canal to float into their back yard.

Collapse -
And if you want to track it
by JP Bill / August 26, 2011 5:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
It seems to be weakening.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 6:56 AM PDT

Hopefully that will continue.

Mark

Collapse -
My sister lives near Baltimore
by Diana Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 7:29 AM PDT

and my nephew lives on Long Island. I talked to my sister and she says they'll be OK and she'll call me after it's over.

It looks like we'll get the out edge of it. Probably lots of rain Sunday.

Diana

Collapse -
Do you remember Agnes?
by James Denison / August 26, 2011 7:47 AM PDT

I remember us down South a bit smug about the consternation of NYC over that hurricane. As I recall it flooded the subways too.

Collapse -
Expecting 80 mph and 10 inches of rain here
by Roger NC / August 26, 2011 8:43 AM PDT

It'll be between us and the outerbanks. Not very far away in direct line, but since at 6 EDT we're only predicted for 80+ mph, I'll ride it out.

Collapse -
Well, it moved back toward us
by Roger NC / September 3, 2011 8:30 AM PDT

Lost power about 7:30 Sat morning, got it back about 8:00 pm Wed.

Collapse -
Lee
by James Denison / September 3, 2011 8:52 AM PDT

Expect some from it Thursday or Friday. Sure glad I don't live in Vermont this past week. They got slaughtered by Irene.

Collapse -
Rain suppose to start here Monday night
by Roger NC / September 3, 2011 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Lee

in scattered thunderstorms and increase in frequency and duration then taper back off next weekend. At least that is what I seem to understand.

Collapse -
Glad you weren't blown away
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 9:29 PM PDT

by the hurricane Roger.

Mark

Collapse -
Oddities of storms
by Roger NC / September 3, 2011 11:31 PM PDT

I lost several shingles on the house. I just had bad ones (a few) replaced about 2 months ago.

Collapse -
Oddities certainly
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 4, 2011 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Oddities of storms

We often get the tail end of your hurricanes in the UK, some days later.

But by the time we get them their force has been spent and they are just storms or high winds, but occasionally, just occasionally, they survive the trip across the pond almost as bad as you had them.

In the 80's one of our well known TV weather forecasters told us that "Reports of a hurricane about to hit the south coast, (of England), were not correct". That night it hit and caused enormous damage and it was the worst storm to hit the UK for over 200 years!

Weather forecasting is a thankless job, but he never lived that down. Happy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987

Mark

Collapse -
And in 1990
by James Denison / September 5, 2011 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Oddities certainly

Those storms looked like a wind tunnel! Sorry to hear such old historical oaks were destroyed.

Collapse -
(NT) Yes a darn shame.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 5, 2011 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: And in 1990
Collapse -
We were a bit too far west to be involved ...
by Bill Osler / August 27, 2011 10:54 AM PDT

We got a lot of wind today, enough that I didn't ride my bicycle after work, but no rain that I noticed. Winston-Salem did get a sprinkling of rain.

My acquaintances in Newport News, VA had a different experience. They are using their generator to keep the lights and the Internet on.

Collapse -
Nothing Significant. Sunday noontime
by James Denison / August 28, 2011 2:30 AM PDT

Lots of leaves and little branches down. Two larger branches down, one on roof, one hit my vintage truck but no damage done to either. My 12x12 shed lost a lower 2 foot wide section of roof. No power outage here at all, which was surprising since we have one almost every winter storm. Lots of winds ranging 25-50 mph, some stronger gusts. I see no trees down in my neighborhood, just some larger branches in other yards. Still overcast this Sunday near noontime. All the outside noise kept waking me up during the night. South of Baltimore in corridor area.

Collapse -
So far, Irene has blown over a plastic lawn chair
by JP Bill / August 28, 2011 6:53 AM PDT

Much the same as Hurricane Bill in Aug 2009.

More of a rain event than a wind event so far.

Collapse -
Not too bad here
by Josh K / August 28, 2011 11:34 PM PDT

There's flooding in the subway and the Holland Tunnel, and in low-lying parts of the city. The East and Hudson rivers both overflowed but have since receded. Lots of trees down and Central Park was closed yesterday. The entire city shut down; it was pretty eerie. The airports reopened this morning. Buses are running but the subway system is still shut down. Most grocery stores were pretty well cleaned out so it may be a few more days before things normalize. Most of the bad damage seems to be in the suburbs and in NJ. Some NJ towns got hit pretty hard.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?