Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Iraqi militant group claims it has beheaded U.S. Marine

by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 3, 2004 7:04 AM PDT

Saturday, Jul 3, 2004

Baghdad ? An Iraqi militant group claimed on a website Saturday that it had beheaded a captive U.S. marine, in what would be the fourth decapitation of a foreign hostage in the region since May.

The group, called the Ansar al-Sunna army, posted a written statement on an Islamic website claiming that it had killed Lebanese-born Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun.

It also said it had taken another hostage but did not give details.

"We would like to inform you that the Marine of Lebanese origin, Hassoun, has been slaughtered. You are going to see the video with your very eyes soon," said the statement, signed in the name of the group's leader, Abu Abdullah al-Hassan bin Mahmoud.

Iraq militants 'behead US marine'
Last Updated: Saturday, 3 July, 2004

US officials say they are checking reports that a marine, kidnapped in Iraq, has been beheaded by a group believed to have links to al-Qaeda.
The announcement of the alleged death of Cpl Wassef Ali Hassoun, who is of Lebanese descent, was posted on an Islamic website on Saturday.

The group, Ansar al-Sunna, said there would be a video showing the beheading.

Cpl Hassoun's captors had threatened to kill him unless all Iraqi prisoners held by the Coalition were released.

The threat was made in a videotape broadcast last Sunday by the Arabic satellite TV channel al-Jazeera, which showed Cpl Hassoun blindfolded.

The news followed reports that Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi was considering an amnesty for those who had been fighting the US-led occupation, which could extend to those who have killed Americans.

People who were "in opposition against the Americans, that will be justified because it was an occupation force," Georges Sada, Mr Allawi's spokesman, said. "We will give them freedom."

Mr Sada added that the purpose was to give rebel fighters a second chance, but that this did not necessarily mean a full pardon.

Third beheading?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Iraqi militant group claims it has beheaded U.S. Marine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Iraqi militant group claims it has beheaded U.S. Marine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
US marine 'beheaded'
US marine 'beheaded'
Saturday 03 July 2004, 22:27 Makka Time, 19:27 GMT

Some reports suggested Hassoun was hoping to reach Lebanon

A purported Iraqi resistance group has published a statement claiming responsibility for beheading a US marine.

The Muntada al-Islam website carried a message from a group calling itself Jaish Ansar al-Sunna - who promised to provide video evidence of Corporal Wassef Ali Hassoun's decapitation.

"We would like to inform you that the Marine of Lebanese descent has been killed, and you will soon see the movie with your own eyes," said the statement, signed by Abu Abd Allah al-Hasan bin Mahmud.

The message also alleged that Hassoun was originally captured after he had a romantic liaison with an Arab girl.
Collapse -
7-04-2004 Sunday's Uncertainty in the News
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 4, 2004 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: US marine 'beheaded'
Lebanon confirms beheading of US marine
Sunday 04 July 2004, 17:31 Makka Time, 14:31 GMT

Hassoun, a translator, joined the US military two years ago

The captors of US marine corporal Wassef Ali Hassoun have killed him, says Lebanon's foreign ministry.

A source at the ministry said on Sunday the Lebanese consul in Baghdad, Hassan Hijazi, told Beirut on Saturday that Hassoun, an American of Lebanese origin, had been beheaded, but gave no further details.

There was no immediate confirmation from the US military in Baghdad. It was not clear how the Lebanese consul had learnt of Hassoun's death.

==============================
While another report indicated

Militants deny 'beheading' claims
2.46PM, Sun Jul 4 2004

An Iraqi militant group has denied reports that they have beheaded US Marine Corporal Wassef Ali Hassoun.

The Army of Ansar al-Sunna issued a statement on its Web site denying reports that it had killed him.

The group said: "This statement that claimed to be from us has no basis in truth... we have an official Web site through which we publish statements."
:
:
:
:
Sunday's Mystery from the deep. Strange Sunday, I hope Monday would be brighter. Insha'Allah (God Willing)
Collapse -
Re: 7-04-2004 Sunday's Uncertainty in the News
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 4, 2004 1:40 AM PDT

Sunday's Mystery from the deep. Strange Sunday, I hope Monday would be brighter. Insha'Allah (God Willing)

Posted by: Chorus-Line Posted on: 07/04/2004 8:05 AM
:
:
:
:
May Allaah Subhanawatallaah help me to be patient at all times. Ya Allaah (Oh Lord).

Collapse -
Why start a new thread on this marine....
by C1ay / July 4, 2004 1:20 AM PDT

when there's already one here.

Collapse -
In this case Clay ...
by Evie / July 4, 2004 1:29 AM PDT

... it seems the timestamps show CL started his thread first. That said, the other thread had more current replies and was further up the board. Still, if CL is subscribing to his thread it seems he just came back to it after receiving a reply.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: Why start a new thread on this marine....
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 4, 2004 1:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Err.....Clay
by John Robie / July 4, 2004 1:33 AM PDT

To be fair to CL, I noticed before, right off the bat, that it was Mark that started the new thread, note the time stamp of his original post as compared to the time stamp of CL's original.

Also, it seems Mark is quoting out of a newspaper without giving a link or credit.

Collapse -
A suggestion to all ...
by Evie / July 4, 2004 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Err.....Clay

... if you notice something like JR did, I don't think it would be impolite to have posted a link to CL's thread in reply to Mark with "continue the discussion here".

I didn't see CL's thread first, and my guess is that neither did Clay. But when someone catches a duplicate posting if they speak up quickly it avoids two gathering threads.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
And my suggestion to all ...is simply Follow the Rules
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 4, 2004 2:48 AM PDT

May I refer to paragraph 3 of the Forum Policies. Happy

Topics of Discussion
While these discussion forums encourage a wide range of opinions, please keep your posts focused on the topic of the forum in which you are submitting your message. Each forum has a different topic, so what is appropriate in one forum or thread may not be appropriate in another. All queries are answered in the forums and not answered by email, so that everyone can benefit from the replies and its content.

1. Time issues has been clarified who posted first, therefore now irrelevant to the issue.

2. While these discussion forums encourage a wide range of opinions, please keep your posts focused on the topic of the forum in which you are submitting your message.

Clearly indicates:

a. encouraging a wide range of opinions and remain focus on the topic the person started.

3. Each forum has a different topic, so what is appropriate in one forum or thread may not be appropriate in another.

a. What is appropriate in one thread may not be in another. And hence I started my post before another similar post, I have indicated that I am more comfortable in the the topic that I have started. And my opinions may entirely be different from the other thread and certainly do not feel that I should impose my opinion on another thread with differing views bearing in mind to respect the boundries of others.

The fine lines does not indicate the prohibition of same contents.

And while at it...to proceed with the rest of the rules...

4. All queries are answered in the forums and not answered by email, so that everyone can benefit from the replies and its content

I think this answers the recent controversial issues on EMAIL in which I have been pursued by few fans. And to the effect I have complied with the rules. Happy
:
:
:
:
I rest my case.

Collapse -
the email rules
by Cindi Haynes / July 4, 2004 2:56 AM PDT

Hi CL,

The rules regarding email were written mainly for the benefit of the help forums, where someone would post a question, and then want answers emailed to them. That defeated the purpose of others benefitting from the answers posted in the event someone else had the same problem.

SpeakEasy is a different animal, where if threads become contentious, email is an acceptable place to take it so that the board does not become cluttered with "He said" "She said" type arguments.

Hope that helps!
--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
I understand the alternatives to complex issues.
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 4, 2004 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: the email rules

Hope that helps!
--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Yes, your explanation will benefit myself and others. Thank you.

Collapse -
Re: I understand the alternatives to complex issues.
by jonah jones / July 4, 2004 3:23 AM PDT

you sure do.....

*it's called "blind 'em with b/s.....*

Collapse -
Acquaint yourself with Speakeasy ...
by Evie / July 4, 2004 3:07 AM PDT

... which is unique among the forums here. The directive to "keep your posts focused on the topic of the forum in which you are submitting your message" pertains to the tech forums. IOW, if you have a question about Viruses, that is best to post in Virus and Security Alerts and not in Linux, or even here at Speakeasy which is a general discussion forum. Note, this has nothing to do with thread topic and I have no clue how this is relevant to the duplicate posting of the same topic. However tradition here at Speakeasy has been to let threads wander off-topic so long as they don't degenerate into a series of personal attacks. This forum and it's predecessors was originated, as I understand, for the purpose of discussing things that are off topic for technical advice boards.

As to the other directive, All queries are answered in the forums and not answered by email, so that everyone can benefit from the replies and its content, this too refers to technical questions, not the resolution of matters of conduct that the moderators might wish to discuss with the membership. If a member is seeking help with a problem, he should expect to find the answer posted to the forum so that others with a similar problem might also gain from the response(s). This is hardly applicable in a general discussion forum of this type, although there have been occasions when Lee or one of our mods has posted a public notice to the membership.

That said, I was only trying to suggest that the best way to deal with duplicate topics is to refer to the first one as early on as possible. With the way that topics pop to the top of the forum with new postings it is not at all unusual for anyone to inadvertantly start a discussion on a simlar topic, and it sure gets confusing if/when both generate a good number of responses to follow along.

Collapse -
Re: you are kidding us, right?
by jonah jones / July 4, 2004 3:22 AM PDT

#And my opinions may entirely be different from the other thread#....#should impose my opinion on another thread with differing views#....

you have yet to express an opinion!

Collapse -
Re: Err.....Clay
by Mark G / July 4, 2004 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Err.....Clay

thats because the last time i did you couldnt read it

Collapse -
Oops. My mistake...
by C1ay / July 4, 2004 1:57 AM PDT

and Mark's too!

Collapse -
I don't fee it's a mistake.
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 4, 2004 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Oops. My mistake...

It's purely innocent and Mark's posting is very valid in my opinion. Happy

Collapse -
Re: I don't fee it's a mistake.
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 4, 2004 3:27 AM PDT

Correction on fee -- Typo

It should be *think*

Collapse -
It is difficult to follow discussions ...
by Evie / July 4, 2004 4:02 AM PDT

... if the same issues are in two concurrent threads. Nobody meant ill, nobody intended this, but it happened. I think Clay probably responded as he did because when your thread popped to the top it was four posts long, all by you, and like me, he hadn't seen the original. Meanwhile Mark's had popped to the top a few times in the interim, at least during the times I, and apparently others, viewed the forum so it seemed that you were having a discussion with yourself on a topic already started by another. No foul, no harm, but I only suggested a means to nip confusion in the bud when someone, anyone, notices it occurring.

Collapse -
Re: U.S. Marine now free, says brother
by SE Moderators / July 6, 2004 4:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Al'hamdu'illah - All Praise is due to Allah.
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 6, 2004 7:33 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?