Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Iraq's most wanted captured at last

Ibrahib al-Douri, Former Saddam deputy, arrested in Iraq.
(Chronicle login: semods4@yahoo.com; pw = speakeasy)

Six months ago this might have made a major difference in the insurrection. But the focus of armed resistance has shifted from former Saddam loyalists to Shiite fundamendalists, led by al-Sadr, so this victory is unlikely to have long-term effects.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Iraq's most wanted captured at last
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Iraq's most wanted captured at last
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: The capture is good news though

In reply to: Iraq's most wanted captured at last

Collapse -
It might seem ...

In reply to: (NT) Re: The capture is good news though

... from his post, that DK thinks "Why bother?"

Nope ... no ties to terrorism with Iraq! LOL

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: It might seem ...

In reply to: It might seem ...

Hi, Evie.

I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth -- it is indeed a victory for Iraq; just because I don't agree with the decision to go in doesn't mean I don't want the best possible outcome. At this point in time, his capture is a small step towards that goal; 6-8 months ago it would have been a much more important step.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Sorry ...

In reply to: Re: It might seem ...

... but that's what the tone of your post brought to mind. I suppose if/when Osama is caught your first comment will be how much better it would have been had he been caught a year ago? And yet we don't dare speculate as to what might have been had he been taken from the Sudanese all those years ago. That wouldn't be fair!

Moot point anyway because it appears to be another "wrong guy" scenario.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Remember, Evie...

In reply to: Sorry ...

Evie, remember when the subject was Saddam? Remember him saying in a post, "he was an evil despot, but we and the world were probably safer with him than without him."?
It's amazing what some prople say in their political propaganda. I guess Zell was right, in their blind quest for political power, some people will degrade anything, be it people or their entire country.

Collapse -
I think the message is

the same as always....you can run, you can hide, but we (coalition and allies) will find you no matter how long it takes. Look at how long it took to locate/hunt down top officials in Hitler's army? Sooner or later, you run out of rocks to hide under, and your enemies will turn you in, either out of a sense of justice or for the monetarial rewards...it matters not which. Terrorize, torture, and abuse enough people/countries and they will find a way to get you.

An old saying....keep your enemies close and your friends closer. You know what to expect from the enemies.....your so-called friends are like you and are just as deadly as loyalty means nothing to them anymore than it did to you.

TONI

Collapse -
Confusion at it's best

TIKRIT, Iraq, Sept 5 (AFP) - The fate of Saddam Hussein's right-hand man Izzat Ibrahim al-Duri was shrouded in confusion Sunday, as Iraqi officials appeared to backtrack on earlier claims he had been captured.

Despite abundant details provided by the Iraqi national guard on the circumstances of his capture in his hometown of Ad-Dawr, near Tikrit, there was little or no evidence to support the claim.

The US military stressed it was unlikely such an operation would have been carried out without its knowledge, and even top Iraqi officials denied the most wanted fugitive from the former regime had been netted.

http://www.turkishpress.com/turkishpress/news.asp?ID=26314

Collapse -
I bet I know what's going on here.

In reply to: Confusion at it's best

They actually did capture Izzat, got all excited and started to spread the news. Then along came one of them there spin doctors with an idea and everybody scrambled to hide Izzat, backtrack with the news and deny the capture. They have old Izzie hidden away and just before the election they are going to drag him out and say "Look what we just captured!".

How is that for a conspiracy theory? Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.