Samsung forum

General discussion

IR Interference with Samsung PN51D450 Plasma TV

by valencp / May 14, 2011 3:54 PM PDT

Hello,
I just received a new Cox Communications HD/DVR Motorola DCH3416 box. Since installing the new box I have noticed issues with the remote control interacting with the cable box. I cannot change channels for the life of me. I originally thought I had a bad remote and had it replaced with no change. I had Cox out to my home two different times to replace the box and the remote again...still same issue of not being able to change channels. I came across some rants about IR interference and thought perhaps this could be my issue. I experimented by turning my tv sideways and believe it or not the remote worked perfectly. I turned the tv back and the remote stopped working. I've concluded that the tv is the issue and is producing high IR noise which is affecting the remote to dvr box signal.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue with the PN51D450 model. I am looking for a fix to this problem.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IR Interference with Samsung PN51D450 Plasma TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IR Interference with Samsung PN51D450 Plasma TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 16, 2011 6:14 AM PDT

valencp,

Collapse -
by valencp / May 16, 2011 9:06 AM PDT

HDTech,
Thanks for your reply. Samsung can add this model to the list. I did contact Samsung today and the technician did acknowledge IR interference issues with some cable remotes. The technician recommended I apply "filter screen" tape over the cable box IR sensor. He also put blame back on the cable box not able to deal with IR noise. Lastly, he recommended I replace my cable box with the motorola dcx model. Unfortunately, my cable provider does not use this model yet. Their current go to model is the dch3416 which is what I have.

Since I've only had my set for a couple weeks I was contemplating on returning it and getting a panasonic. I did a little research and found that some panasonic sets also cause IR interference. In one post I read the author mentioned that he swapped out his dch3416 with the dct6400 series cable box and his issue was corrected. I contacted my cable provide and asked if that had this model and they did. I picked one up today and swapped out my dch3416. Guess what, my IR interference is gone completely.

It will be nice if tv makers and cable box makers partner together to hear their customers and work together to resolve a pretty wide spread issue. Putting tape over sensors or filter screen tape is not an acceptable solution, especially when big $$$ are spent on tvs..

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 16, 2011 2:37 PM PDT

valencp,

Collapse -
Same problem,
by letu_13 / June 26, 2011 6:30 AM PDT

Hi,

I have the same problem. Mine is Plasma PN64D550. I cannot control the
satellite receiver Dish Network VIP 222K with the supplied remote control.
But the remote control can control the TV, and if the TV if off, it can control the
satellite receiver.

I called dish network, and they will send me a new remote control which uses RF. This
is not a good solution, since my universal control (Harmony One) cannot handle RF.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Thang

Collapse -
Same problem, -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 27, 2011 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem,

letu_13,

Collapse -
cheap solution found
by letu_13 / June 27, 2011 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem, -

Hi Samsung_HD_Tech,

Thank you for your reply.
I found a simple solution: I cover the IR eye of my satellite receiver with masking tape,
and the remote now can control the receiver!
(I found this solution on the internet. At first I did not believe it, but it does work.
I was told that the masking tape acts as an IR filter. And I had to try several kinds of
tapes until I got the one that works).

My old Samsung LN46B550 does not interfere with the remote. But the new 3D-capable PN64D550 does.
I guess either Samsung or cable/satellite company has to bundle the TVs/receivers with masking tapes!

Thang

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.