Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Ipod vs. Creative

by capt.john / March 2, 2006 11:34 PM PST

I'm about to get another mp3 player and I'm not sure if I want an ipod or another less common mp3 player, All recommendations and reviews welcome. Pros and cons please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ipod vs. Creative
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ipod vs. Creative
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I prefer Creative
by Renard04 / March 3, 2006 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Ipod vs. Creative

I'm on my second Creative product, Zen Vision:M. I had a Zen Micro for about 8 months. I'll only mention the current fight for top mp3 player since I have the most experience with it.

iPod:
Pros - one of the big things I like about iPods is iTunes. Being that this is what you will be using to transfer your media it helps that it is excellent. Another benefit is content. Just about any kind of content is available for iPods. Lastly, you can find any accessory you could possibley want for an iPod. Also it helps that iPods are widely available in stores.

Cons - limited formats. You can only use mp3 and Apple propritary formats on your iPod making it impossible to upgrade to a device other than an iPod with little to no effort, although there are programs to convert but its a hassle to convert 1000+ songs into another format unless you use mp3. Although the video iPod has a very good display it only supports 65k colors. Its only a con when comparing the 2.

Zen Vision:M:
Pros - support for multiple formats. I prefer WMA over mp3 so this helped me make my decisions. This also helps if you want to use a subscription service since they use DRM WMA usually. Another big thing I love about the Vision:M is Drag-n-Drop capability in XP. This is a great time saver in terms of transfer. The Vision:M also supports a number of video formats so more than likely it will play. And if it won't it comes with software to convert it for you. The display is the first thing that wow'd me when I got my Vision:M. It supports 256k colors. And you can really tell.

Cons - Creative software. It has a separate program to do just about everyhting you want it to do. I hate this but you gotta deal with it. Not many accessories out there currently but more are popping up here and there. It would also help if it was widely available in stores.

I give them a tie when it comes to manueverability. The click wheel is great but so is the scroll pad. Different strokes for different folks.

Verdict - I take creative in this battle. I've used both products and both are really good.

P.S. If anyone mentions a "cool" factor of the iPod slap them for me. That has got to be one of the dumbest reasons to buy anything but it works somehow.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks a lot
by capt.john / March 3, 2006 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: I prefer Creative
Collapse -
Creative or iAudio
by alext / March 3, 2006 4:46 PM PST
In reply to: (NT) Thanks a lot

I'll take Creative over iPod everytime. It is better at just about everything, including sound quality.

I think the Creative is the best all round hard disk player, but I would also check out iAudio.

Sound quality is all I really care about in a player and the iAudio X5 is the best there is at the moment. It's video support is not as good as the Creative and the controls are a bit fiddly, but is still what I would go for.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?