General discussion

Ipod Touch vs. Zune 8gb/80gb vs. Ipod nano

I'm having a really hard time deciding - i've read every single review of anything I could scour on google.

So to put things into perspective - I'm perfectly fine with having about 8gb of space for music - possibly might hit 10gb of music in the next 2 years or so but not a big deal. I don't plan on watching videos on my mp3 player - if so very rarely.

ipod touch - not sure if the 16gb is worth $370 or w/e amazon has it on sale for, thinking about getting the 8gb but not sure if thats enough space for the 3rd party apps I want to add. the only other thing i'm concerned about is battery life - I think its around 12-18hours for mp3s and less with wifi usage. I would use it for email (hacked), some youtube, and mp3s/little bit of web use here and there.

zune 8gb - don't care about the screen size really since i won't be watching videos. better battery life than the touch - and fm radio (a slight plus for me, headphones -psh have my own "premium 'phones".) cheap compared to touch.

nano 8gb - ugly figure though thinner than the zune. cheap compared to touch. supposedly "better" in terms of size, battery life (than the zune).
-----------
so its basically the touch - or zune vs nano
I don't know if I can justify getting the touch for the web usage I'm doing. Its really bugging me - any thoughts or comments please =)

p.s. i don't care about cover flow

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Ipod Touch vs. Zune 8gb/80gb vs. Ipod nano
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Ipod Touch vs. Zune 8gb/80gb vs. Ipod nano
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
if you have to justify it

The Touch isn't for you. It's too pricey. I have the Touch and I had no problem paying $300 for the 8GB - mainly because I wanted the iPhone without the phone - with the larger screen because I do like to watch videos. I rarely use the browser. I prefer my laptop and am looking into getting a basic ultra portable. I don't have the patience using the onscreen keyboard.

If it's Zune v. Nano, I think it's a toss up. If you really think the Nano is ugly, then maybe go for the Zune. I think the Nano is cute, but I don't like the colors. I really like the colors for the Zune 4/8GB. Too bad the 80GB is only in black.

- Collapse -
new focus

so...well i think its justifiable if i want to get it for the wifi - youtube/browser/email

new problem - the wifi may not work with the wifi on campus at NYU =\
in that case the ipod touch is a piece of lard

so - until i find out if it works - i won't be getting it anyways
but if it does - i think i want it =)

- Collapse -
I have a em all!

I have the touch, the 8 gb zune and the nano! I prefer the zune! Touch and nano are a waste of money! Go for the zune! Best audio quality out of the 3! ZUNE!

- Collapse -
iPods are not a waste of money.They are worth it.

You cant just say that iPods are all waste of money,its about what you like.iPods have some faults but zune also has some.So you buy what you like.iPod touch has facilities zune can only dream about.Because i got a iPod touch.And its a great experience workin it.

- Collapse -
What do you do with your player?

I don't just mean whether you want to browse the web -- I also mean your habits. Will you go running with it? Are you the sort who tends to drop or lose devices easily?

The iPod touch is great (I own a 16GB model), but it's not great for the sort of listener that regularly goes on half-hour runs or tends to be rough on a device. I exercise with one, but it's usually safe in a sleeve case, which in turn goes inside my pocket. On the other hand, if you're either careful or are more concerned about video playback and the web than pure music, the touch is born for the job.

I would like to recommend the Zune, but I just can't. I've tried it extensively and liked it, but there are many limitations right now. You can't use anything but the official Zune software to sync (I'm not even sure if any 3rd-party apps exist for the new models). That also limits your choice of OS. There's no disk mode; no audiobooks; and no way to sync wirelessly without connecting to a power source.

The iPod nano may actually be the best bet, as long as you get a case that covers the back (the chrome tends to scratch easily). It's comfortable, it lasts a long time, and you'll have the most feature and accessory support of the bunch. FM radio is handy, but having used both the Zune and the newer iPod nano, I'd say the nano can overcome the lack of radio through judicious use of podcasts. Apple's podcast directory is larger, at least for now, and also more graceful in handling large lists.

- Collapse -
bought already

i'm a college student so i'll be listening to it on the bus/walking to the subway/on the subway while i walk around nyc.

the web stuff i'll use when i'm in my class/between classes to check my email so i don't have to bring my laptop around

- Collapse -
oh and.

bought the 8gb though.

don't plan on really carrying more than one movie if at all
and i have about 5-6gb of music that i listen to without having to spam "next next next"

- Collapse -
wi-fi on ijpor touch

hey guys do u have to pay to get internet on the ipod-touch???

- Collapse -
Wi-Fi costs depend on the access point

It's only as expensive as it would be for anything else. If it's free for a computer, it's free for your iPod. That includes both a home network and the occasional free public spot. But if you have to pay to use it -- say, at a coffee shop -- it'll cost to use it for the iPod, too.

The one (partial) exception is the Apple/Starbucks deal. It's not at most locations yet, but if you bring an iPhone, iPod touch, or iTunes-equipped computer to the right Starbucks network you get free access to the iTunes Store. Apple posts the details here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/starbucks/

- Collapse -
free 4 me

free wifi at school =P (granted i have a username/password since i'm a student)

- Collapse -
niccce!!!

ok im liking the ipod touch! if this is right then im gonna get one for my birthday.... this means that as long as i have free wi-fi near the ipod touch im gonna be able to go to the web for free??i have a router at home can i use it for my ipod touch??

- Collapse -
That's what I said...

It's not really any different than for a computer: if it's a secure spot, you enter your password (either through the network setup on the iPod or in a web page that pops up).

If you're going to ask for one for your birthday (don't assume you'll get it!), be sure to ask for a case, preferably one that covers the screen. It's a durable player, but a big glass screen is undoubtedly going to break if it lands face-first on anything but a perfectly flat surface.

- Collapse -
ipod touch wifi

wifi is internet from a router at your home,at a office, and some places have wifi, and it is free to use the signal and surf the web

CNET Forums

Forum Info