General discussion

iPod Touch video playback issue

Jul 21, 2008 2:32AM PDT

Since upgrading my iPod Touch to v2.0 I have trouble watching cnet video podcasts. I can watch an episode straight-thru without error, but if I try to fast-forward or stop/restart playback, the audio and video become unsynched and I cannot correct it. I've only had this problem with the last two cnet Live episodes (2hr iPhone release, and the 7/17 episode). I never had this problem before upgrading my iPod.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: iPod Touch video playback issue
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: iPod Touch video playback issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I have this issue too
Jul 27, 2008 1:57PM PDT

It appears to be only with CNET videos that were done around and since the time of the update. I don't have issues with non-CNET videos.

- Collapse -
Not just CNET video
Jul 28, 2008 12:19AM PDT

At first, I thought it was a CNET issue, but the same issue happened to AskANinja podcast also. But, some video podcasts from other sources work fine, and not all CNET podcasts are affected. Transfers from my Tivo work fine also.

No clear pattern, except that I had no issues before upgrading to 2.0.

- Collapse -
CNET is aware
Jul 28, 2008 4:50AM PDT
- Collapse -
Good deal
Jul 28, 2008 9:37AM PDT

I'm glad to see this issue get some traction, since I posted it on this forum after CNET Customer Service brushed me off and suggested it was a hardware issue.

- Collapse -
playback issues
Aug 3, 2008 7:20PM PDT

any solution to this problem yet? its really frustrating...i can't watch any cnet live or BOL podcasts!

- Collapse -
Look at the posts above.
Aug 3, 2008 11:50PM PDT

The information needed to discuss this is absent. If we want to look into this, all the detail is needed.

- Collapse -
?
Aug 4, 2008 12:26AM PDT

r.proffit....i don't quite understand your post..

all the information is in the above posts..

in summary, there seems to be a problem watching cnet live and BOL podcasts on my ipod touch. The problem started since upgrading to the firmware 2.0. When watching the podcast all the way through playback seems to be ok, however when skipping or pausing the audio is completely out of sync. the video playback is fine, its the audio thats the problem...it ends up being audio from 2-3 minutes back. Its completely unwatchable..

i read on another forum that its to do with a new encoding process that cnet are now using.....could downgrading to 1.1.5 solve these playback issues? anyone who hasn't upgraded to 2.0 having playback issues with cnet live or BOL?

- Collapse -
Since it's only BOL then you have your clues.
Aug 4, 2008 1:01AM PDT

The above posts also may have one think the playback issue is in iTunes which as you know there are issues with some PCs.

As to BOL, try the BOL forum since they do post there and need to know if they need to tweak their encoding.

Bob

- Collapse -
Just so you know.
Aug 4, 2008 1:04AM PDT

I feel for you but it's likely to be the encoding they use and not an iTunes or pod issue. Sometimes we have to resign ourselves that some can't produce the encoding proper. If you complain in the right places then they might notice. Hint? Try the BOL forum as this forum is about MP3...

- Collapse -
Let's keep this in one discussion.
Aug 4, 2008 1:28AM PDT

CNET Forums

Forum Info