General discussion

iPod Touch 8gb enough memory for me??

Hi! I am hoping to buy an ipod touch soon and I'm trying to decide if it will have enough memory. I really only have enough for the 8gb one, but I only want it if it has enough space...if it doesn't, i really don't see the point! Here's what i will use it for:

- 2-3 gigs for music

- I want a lot of apps

- I have 1 or 2 music videos

- I might occasionally rent a movie, and MAYBE buy just ONE, but I'm not sure yet.

- I do want some pictures...probably 50 at the VERY most.

I don't want this ipod JUST for music, I want it mostly for surfing the net and all the cool apps! I have a nano but I really want to splurge for this one. I don't have a laptop, so this is the next best thing for a lot less Happy Is it good for surfing the net and doing just the "fun" stuff you can do on a computer (not writing a paper, but being on random sites, etc.)?

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: iPod Touch 8gb enough memory for me??
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: iPod Touch 8gb enough memory for me??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Is refurb an option?
- Collapse -

It's a good suggestion, but this is a big purchase for me personally, and I would really rather be able to just get a brand new iPod. I am completely fine with the 8 gig, I just want to make sure that it will have enough memory for everything i need it for!

- Collapse -
Only you will know.

Since we don't keep the entire collection on our pods then all it takes is a little management at home to put on what we need for the day or week.
Bob

- Collapse -
Don't bother w/ the 8

In about a year you will regret not getting the 32, which right now is probably the sweet spot for many typical users. While the advice to manually select apps/videos/etc are uploaded to the Touch to help save space is valid, it's generally not how the vast majority of users want to deal with the device, and that may include you too. Being able to simply plug in periodically to sync and eliminate any headaches/additional steps is a huge advantage of these devices.

If going refurb buy from the apple site if possible-
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals

- Collapse -
Thanks to Pepe
- Collapse -
It's really hard to tell the difference from a new one too

Apple really does not sell the traditional 'scratch and dent' inventory that other brands do sometimes. I truly couldn't figure out what the actual difference was- but the price was right for Xmas this year Wink

To the OP> If you look at the relative sizes of many of the free games in the app store, especially some of the more lame but nonetheless graphical/action packed ones, they are upwards of 400-500MB per game. You can quickly see how a handful would immediately cannibalize the space of a 8GB model Sad.

I really wish Apple would release a 128GB model so I can grab a refurb 64 8-).

- Collapse -
With 4.0 comes some changes

If you want a lot of apps I would get a bigger one just because with the new software update Apple is gong to allow over 2,000 apps on your iPod at one time. There are a gazillion apps out there that you might want and managing them isn't nearly as easy as it is with music. Go big or go home, splurge on this and you won't regret it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info