HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Ipod Touch 64GB or Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet 160GB

by cl5621 / October 10, 2009 3:15 AM PDT

Is the Ipod Touch 64 capable of storing a cd collection of 82 discs, or should i look at the new Archos 5 160GB ? I also require a player that has stereo bluetooth, which both of the has, i hope ? or, does anyone have any other suggestions ? The comments i'm reading about the Archos makes me want to steer clear of the new Archos 5 I.M.T., for now anyways.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ipod Touch 64GB or Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet 160GB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ipod Touch 64GB or Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet 160GB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes...
by 1shado1 / October 10, 2009 7:52 PM PDT

I'd steer clear of the A5 IMT for now. Wait to see if the bugs get worked out. I haven't heard music on the new A5 yet, but Archos has never been known for their sound quality. I have the last generation A5, and the sound quality is mediocre. Video, on the other hand, is outstanding.

I'm never owned an iPod anything, but between these 2 choices, for music, take the Touch. 64GB is plenty of room for 80+ CDs. In fact, depending on the bitrate the CDs are going to be ripped at, it is possible to fit hundreds of CDs worth on a 64GB device.

Collapse -
Thank You Very Much !
by cl5621 / October 11, 2009 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes...

I'm going to take your advice and steer clear of the A5 IMT, for now. I'll probably go with the Touch, like you suggested.

I own an 8GB ipod nano, and a 16GB silver Samsung YP-P3 (P3), but course those aren't capable of the storage i'm in need of.

once again, thank you ! your response was great appreciated !

Collapse -
get the touch...you won't regret it.
by d_adams / October 13, 2009 11:47 AM PDT

The iPod touch is awesome. Plus, it never gets old: my first gen device will still do almost everything the third gen one does. The new Archos looks pretty cool, but I've heard the software is kind of unstable at present. I'd wait a while for them to work out the bugs.

I'm not sure how big 82 CDs would be on a computer, but you can get about 1500 songs on my 8GB device, so you might not even need the 64GB device, unless your one of those people who likes uncompressed music. Yes, iPod touch has stereo bluetooth. No idea about the Archos.

Collapse -
I Really Want to Try the New Archos 5 IMT, BUT..........
by cl5621 / November 1, 2009 11:23 PM PST

after reading reviews all over the place about the A5 IMT, i'm a little worried about investing $399 for the 32GB A5. The A5 IMT looks like it has the potential to be good, if not great. then there's the ipod touch 32GB or even better the 64GB that would work just as well as the A5 IMT. Maybe i just need to with the ipod touch, that has an established track record .

anyone interested in commenting, feel free.

Collapse -
I Purchased The Archos 5 IMT 16GB Yesterday
by cl5621 / November 5, 2009 12:15 AM PST

Bought it on my lunch break yesterday, came back and showed all my friends my new toy, only to learn that most of them own a ipod touch or the touch phone. i was kind of disappointed because i originally going to buy the touch 64GB, then i changed my mind and went with the archos 5.

i haven't opened my archos 5, so at some point i'm going to return it back to the store for the touch 64.

Collapse -
So...
by 1shado1 / November 5, 2009 2:28 AM PST

You're disappointed that you don't have the same toy as the rest of your friends. Great criteria for making a purchasing decision, lol.

And not meaning to nitpick, but I need to clarify something that I should have clarified in my first reply to you: What you were talking about and ended up buying, is the Archos 5 IT (Internet Tablet), NOT the Archos 5 IMT (Internet Media Tablet). Two different beasts entirely (even though the outward appearance is very similar).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.