The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

iPod power adapter

I have the new 30GB iPod and as you know, it does not ship with an AC adapter. I honestly don't think that it's necessary. Even though it may come in handy when traveling, more than half of iPod owners probably don't use theirs. So Apple is just trying to save a little money, cuz we all know how they are so poor from selling $300 music players.

-Will
Milford, MA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPod power adapter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPod power adapter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It all boils down to keeping the prices the same

In reply to: iPod power adapter

THe iPod spec has gone up and up, but the prices have remained the same, if not gone lower.

You dont get a Dock with iPaqs anymore for example.

It is just another revenue stream that Apple have gone after - accessories are big money! Buy an iPod for $300, buy a power adaptor for another $40, along with a nice Sock, a extra cable, the Dock, remote, cables - all in it's going to cost about $500!

Collapse -
Correction + my opinion

In reply to: It all boils down to keeping the prices the same

First a correction, the wall adapter(USB) for the ipod is actually $29 and was originally for the shuffle. I think that the charger is very useful. I had a 3g which i gave to my mom when i got a nano. My family has two firewire wall adapters and two usb plugs. We have 3 ipod but when my dad got his 4g b&w iPod, they shipped with the firewire power adapter and a usb 2 cable... In the mornings when i update podcasts on my iPod it seems to add a fair amount of charge, though i don't know how this will affect my battery life (cycles). It works well either way.

Collapse -
I don't use mine much either

I agree somewhat - I have a 4g ipod with with the power adaptor, and I don't use it, but it's because I have the JBL iPod speakers that act as a dock and a power adaptor. But if I didn't have something like that, I would need the power adaptor, because what if you were somewhere where you didn't have a computer to charge it or if you didn't want to use your laptop's power. I know that it's a price cutting manuver by apple, but I still think they should include it.

Collapse -
OK with me

Last spring I bought an iPod mini (it ROCKS!). It did not come with a seperate charger, only the USB cable. At first I thought I would miss having the seperate charger and almost bought one but I held off. I have not missed it in the least. I plug it in daily to sync my podcast subscriptions and other than that I only have to plug it in for a couple of hours every few days to recharge it. This works fine for me.

Dan
Charlotte, MI

Collapse -
Only time I ever used my Charger was travelling

In reply to: OK with me

My iPod always goes into it's dock nowadays and updates from my Mac and charges.

And dont forget that you can get 3rd party chargers now too that are cheaper than Apple's

Collapse -
Would Use It!

If Apple werent so cheap and had given me a wall charger, I would use it to plug in my nano on my nightstand to charge overnight. Unfortunately, I guess my $200 wasnt enough...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!