Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Ipod or zen touch?

by Kriegboy7 / August 15, 2004 2:24 AM PDT

I am in the market for a high capacity mp3 player for under $300 and have been looking primarily at two options, the 15 GB ipod or the new creative zen touch. Both are extremely appealing but i cannot decide which is better. The zen is relatively new so i have not been able to find a recent review on it and the ipod i know is always a good choice, but i am concerned about its 8 hour battery life and was wondering if it came with a usb cable if you don't have a firewire port. Has anyone used either of these players and if so can you recommend them?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ipod or zen touch?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ipod or zen touch?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Ipod or zen touch?
by joehawk1 / August 15, 2004 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Ipod or zen touch?

Giving the IPOD view only, as I have not had any contact with the Zen. I have had the 10 gig IPOD for about a year. The 15 gig came with a USB cable at that time, but not the 10 gig. I bought and put in a firewire card, as the USB cable bought separate was about the same cost for me. I have been very happy with the IPOD, especially with the sound quality. The battery costing so much to replace is a drawback, however I got the 4 year warranty with it [at Best Buy] which includes replacing the battery if it fails. I don't find the 8 hour life a problem [more like 5 hours in my experience] as I don't listen for longer than that at one time. Things I do like are the easy to access controls, which I can touch thru my shirt pocket while doing my walks to increase volume or change songs etc.. I like the round touch control to make these changes. It is very light. I kept losing the ear bud covers as they would pop off and get lost somewhere on my walk. Solved that problem with a touch of glue. I would buy one again.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 10:46 PM PDT

" I am in the market for a high capacity mp3 player "

The iPod is not a MP3 player. So this is easy. You'll want the Zen.

Bob

Collapse -
by HotAgent / August 18, 2004 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Ipod or zen touch?

excuse me? last i checked, the ipod plays MP3s just fine. the only thing that sets the zen apart from the ipod is the 24 hour battery life, which is good if you are a traveler and dont have adapters for the outlets of different countries. if your not a frequent flyer, go for the ipod.

Collapse -
Excuse me?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2004 12:47 AM PDT

The iPod does not play MP3s. The software converts to Apple's format to put it into the player.

Has this changed recently?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Excuse me?
by HotAgent / August 19, 2004 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Excuse me?

i dont believe it has ever been like that. the iPod plays MP3 and AAC files, it does not convert MP3 to AAC unless you want it to.

Collapse -
by ColonelTravis / December 7, 2008 2:39 PM PST

Woah woah woah hold up.
All iPods been able to play music since they first arrived on the scene. That's the point (or one of the points) of iPods.

Collapse -
how do you dig up this really old post?
by ktreb / December 7, 2008 2:58 PM PST
In reply to: ...

Long forgotten as are the hard drive-based Creative Zen Touch and the 15GB iPod 3rd generation.

LOL!!!

Collapse -
by MtBikingKing / August 19, 2004 5:20 PM PDT

why not the iRiver Hp-120?? unless u absolutely LOVE the color white on your mp3 player i don't see any other reason to not get the HP-120. the iRiver has everything the ipod has but more. the only complaint i have heard about the iRiver is that the scrolling to find a song is not as fast as the ipod, but i haven't had any problems. The only con i have is that the manual that the Hp-120 came with wasn't very descriptive cause u had to read each sentence very carefully (that i usually don't do). And it doesn't really tell u how to make playlists on winamp or use the id3 tags, but the forums make up for it, anyone will gladly help u within an hour or so. Plus i just heard that the new ipods, brand new, not the old ones, have had a hardware problem so u might wanna hold off a lil bit if u still want an ipod. the iRiver has upgradable software so u can always fix that. ~~Listening to my hp-120 right now~~

Collapse -
by HotAgent / August 20, 2004 9:20 AM PDT

iriver is nice only if you need the features. if you dont need a voice recorder, or a radio, or the ability to turn tapes and LPs into MP3, then there is no reason to get it. the ipods menu system, design, and itunes software are all far superior to the iriver.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?