Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Ipod or Creative

which would you go with?

the 30Gig Ipod video ir the 30gig Creative Vision: M?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ipod or Creative
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ipod or Creative
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Creative no question....

In reply to: Ipod or Creative

the Vision: M has wayyy more codecs supported for video such as divx and xvid, battery life is way better, it has a brighter screen, and you can use it with lots of music services so you arent restricted to itunes. The iPod is thinner by a few millimeters....thats all it really has going for it.

Collapse -
vision

In reply to: Creative no question....

yea Id like to know how thick the Vision: M is. looks pretty cool

Collapse -
creative for sure

In reply to: vision

104 x 62 x 18.6mm is the size specifications on creative's website.

the vision:m just has so much more features than the ipod.

Collapse -
Creative All The Way

The Ipod In My Opionion Is Not As Good.

It Looks Cheaply Made, My Freinds Have Problems WIth It, Its Scratches Easily, Itunes Is A Pain In The Butt, and Dosnt Support Major Video or Audio

I Think Ipods Are A Gimic and Everyone Just Buys Them Because EveryOne Else Has Them

Iv Had An Iriver And Id Loved It

But Its Time For Me To Get A New Mp3 player with Photo and Video

I Want The M Vison Series

But I Want A 60 Gb Model and Im Waiting For The Giga Beat Video (60 Gb) to Come Out

Collapse -
I wouldn't touch a Creative.

I've had 2 Creative Zen's and have returned them 4 times for Hard Drive problems. On line support is useless.

Collapse -
SAME HERE...STAY AWAY FROM CREATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to: I wouldn't touch a Creative.

I also had 2 different Creative Zen's (touch and micro)
send the zen touch back once for a hard drive problem(only used about 1 month)...got a brand new one and sold it on ebay.

Brought the zen micro...headphonejack mulfuctions after less then 1 month using it, sent it back and got a refubished one in return, used that for a little over 1 month before battery problems( battery drains completely after one day) got it back and sold that on ebay.

brought an ipod nano and I have been using it for around 5 months without a problem.

Collapse -
no creatives,!!

i wouldnt touch the creative becasue its a smaller company and it is much harder to have it repaired or even obtain information on it when you need it! the ipods have a good reputation and it is easily accesable , especially sinse you hve to send them back to get the battery changed about every 2 years!

Collapse -
That's a good point

In reply to: no creatives,!!

As far as customer service I'd go with the ipod cause the creative no longer has a removable battery. So you'd have to send the creative in the get the battery replaced (do they offer a battery replacement service yet?)They aren't a "visable comapny' like apple. I just wouldn't trust sending my $300 player into a comapnay that i can't talk face to face with a represenative. Also they are more likley to go under than apple is. Then you're stuck.

But Creative is great player spec wise. Better screen than the ipod. Although if your music is in wma format you'll only get 8 hours of battery life. So if you plan to subcribe to rhapsody, napster or yahoo (they use wma) look forward to a shorter battery life. For videos though it has 4 hours the ipod only has 2.

Collapse -
not true

In reply to: That's a good point

--Also they are more likley to go under than apple is.

u know that Creative not only just sell mp3 players, but also sound cards and other stuff? they're not going to go away any time soon.

--Although if your music is in wma format you'll only get 8 hours of battery life.

and if your videos are in divx, u'll have to spend hours re-encoding to the few formats that ipod supports

Collapse -
Apple is more secure than Creative

In reply to: not true

"u know that Creative not only just sell mp3 players, but also sound cards and other stuff? they're not going to go away any time soon."

Yes I am aware that they sell more than just mp3 players. Now do you read thier financial releases because you'll be aware that Creative has been losing a great deal of money. Are you also aware that Creative Stock have dropped and stayed pretty low compared to Apples over a five year period. Creative opened at 7.82 today while Apple opened at 77.43. Also Apple has more people willing to invest that Creative. Creative's average volume share is 132,856. Apple's average volume share is 26,389,000. Which means that Apple has 26,256,144 million more shares. That's right millions! So that means that Apple has more stability as a company. These companies have been in the mp3 player market for the last four years. While Creative has done nothing but drop and just barely sustain itself. Apple have only increased over this time. Life is more than speculation there are things called facts. Take a look at the stock market and financial reports and you'll see what I mean. Another reason why I prefer Apple over Creative more security.

"Although if your music is in wma format you'll only get 8 hours of battery life."

That what I said. Which this is true. Creative tells you this is true. Pure hard facts. Below is you're response to this. I see the two as totally unrelated but some how in your mind these two relate.

"and if your videos are in divx, u'll have to spend hours re-encoding to the few formats that ipod supports"

Yea that is IF your videos are in divx. See the thing is that most people don't have videos on thier computer. The people getting the new 5G ipods are noobs most of them. They are just learning how to put thier videos onto the computer. Here's another fact I like. Creative doesn't have anyway to provide you with video content. You'll have to rip everything yourself which takes hours to do. 1-4 hours per dvd. Atleast Apple gives you a break and provides content for you. Maybe that's why Apple has 26,256,144 million more shares.

Sorry I know I sound like a fanboy right now but I really hate it when some one responds to my post who have clearly not done thier research at all. Speculation has it's place but not where there are already facts.

Collapse -
Creative's Financial Health

In reply to: Apple is more secure than Creative

Your interpretation of volume of shares is incorrect. Volume is number of shares trading hands in one day. It is not the number of shares outstanding. Volume is not a good indicator of financial health of the company. Also Creative is based out of Singapore, so their shares probably trade much more heavily on an exchange in Asia than they do here.

Collapse -
Regardless

In reply to: Creative's Financial Health

Thank you for the correction. I wasn't certain if I had that completely correct. Still Apple is more financially stable in the US. Which is what matters most to US customers. Also Creative has been losing money. That's the main thing. When a company says they are on they're way to being profitable again, I don't see that as a great sign. I'm not saying they are going out of business tomorrow or anytime soon. Just that they are a broke company compared to Apple. They can't even afford to advertise thier products on TV nationwide. I don't know how they are going to go to "war" if they don't have enough money to let people know of thier products.

Collapse -
creative makes ipod killers

I have owned 2 creative units (20 gig zen touch & 5 gig micro) both worked well. if i had a problem i was able to fix them my self with the help of some folks frm the creative knowlege base (i only had minor probs when i updated my touch to ''playsforsure'') otherwise they work well sound good and i can use i tunes and other music services that an i pod can not be used with. i must say thet the ipod vision is cool but i am waiting for the Creative Zen Vision:M. apple has very little over creative but a marketing division.

PS
my micro has a removable battery

Collapse -
WHAT??

"especially sinse you hve to send them back to get the battery changed about every 2 years!"

And you think that's a good thing?!?!

Collapse -
With Creative

In reply to: WHAT??

You'll also have to player back with Creative every two or three years. The Vision M doesn't have a user replacable battery.

Collapse -
The Ipod is worse

In reply to: WHAT??

With the Ipod, you have to send it back every 13 months!!!!!

Collapse -
let's use common sense

In reply to: The Ipod is worse

Every lithium recharchable battery, user replacable or not, only last for 500 charges. That includes your Creative also, cause remember it's not user replacable. So if you where to use any player everyday and fully drain it then in would only last for 500 days.

Ipod 60gb- you'd have to use that 20 hours a day everyday or 3 hours with video everyday
Ipod 30gb- you'd have to use that 14 hours a day for music or 2 hours for video everyday
Ipod nano- you'd have to use that 14 hours a day every day
Creative Vision M- you'd have to use that 14 hours a day for mp3 or 8 hours a day for wma or 4 hours a day for video every day

So unless you use it for those amounts of time EVERYday then your battery could last up to around three year or closer to four. How ever it is more likely that you'll have to change your batter much quicker if you use the video capabilites or if you use WMA on the Creative. That's for all you people with subscription services. Look forward to sending your Creative player in closer to that 13 month mark than you would with any other player.

Collapse -
What!

Creative has been making players A LOT longer than Apple....get real.

Collapse -
Vision: M looks better, thanks for finally coming.

In reply to: What!

I am sick of the creative fanboys marching in beaming because Creative FINALLY came out with an actually practical alternative to the iPod (an exact copy + codecs galore - creative vision: m). I know full well it has better battery life and support but dear God it was so obvious the minute I saw this thing was coming out that people were going to go overboard altogether. I am by no means an Apple supporter and I would have bought the Vision: M hands down but could you give it a rest please.

No more ''it is so much better than the iPod'' posts the man gets the point.
And dear God look at the thing their marketing guys are really not getting paid enough. It is the very same idea as the 5G.

Collapse -
dude...

In reply to: Vision: M looks better, thanks for finally coming.

creative fanboys? "it is so much better than the iPod" posts? I dont see any here.

Collapse -
Creative

I would definately choose the creative, because it has more video playing, and is sturdier in the hand. THe creative also has a included power charger whil e the ipod has a usb where you have to buy a power outlet charger. The creative just looks sturdier i just would have wishe for a more variety of prices and space.

Collapse -
Creative - hands down

Simple decision:
IPOD - Proprietary
Creative - NOT proprietary

Any questions?

Collapse -
I own both...Want to buy an iPod?? Creative Wins!

I purchased both the iPod Video and the Creative Zen Vision:M. It took me days to get video and photographs into the iPod. The Zen took minutes. I like the Zen's touch pad, but sometimes find it a little too sensitive. I find the sound a bit richer with the Creative using the same headphones on both. I also find it easier to fast forward through a movie on the Creative than on the iPod. I've also had difficulties powering down the iPod while watching a movie, where I haven't had any problems with the Creative. I also feel that the display is sharper and easier to see on the Creative. My only wish for the Creative is that they stayed with a replaceable battery. Don't know why they stopped. I also own the Archos AV420 and find it the easiest and most flexible media station on the market.

...Hence the name...Richard Gear

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.