Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

iPod nano vs. Samsung YP-Z5

by PMR / March 26, 2006 6:52 AM PST

I am debating between these two different flash-based mp3 players. I'm confused on which to choose. I want something that I can control with one hand. I like the Samsung because of the larger screen, better battery life, and stratch resistance, but the nano offers a wide range of accessories and the click wheel. The size isn't a major issue. I have seen both in person and the YP-Z5 is plenty small for me, but I am totally confused on which to choose...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPod nano vs. Samsung YP-Z5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPod nano vs. Samsung YP-Z5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For what it's worth...
by Night Surfer / March 26, 2006 7:26 AM PST

Well...at the risk of sounding like a "fanboy"....
I have had a Nano. I currently own the Z5.

Z5 advatages:

Objectively...
FAR better battery life.
Larger screen.
Load and view Pictures (while listening to music.
Better scratch resistance.
Dedicated volume control.

Subjectively....
Better volume and sound quality (possibly objective).
Better interface. The Z5 interface is FAR better than the clickwheel, despite some reviews to the contrary. Just as easy to use and more functional.
No iTunes. The Z5 works well w/ WMP10 but will also work standalone. You can use it w/o even installing the software that comes with it.
Looks cooler. Purely subjective, I know.

Nano Advantages:
More accessories.
Cooler name.

Fanboy out.

Collapse -
RE: iPod nano vs. Samsung YP-Z5
by Glorybox3737 / March 27, 2006 2:30 AM PST

Depends one what is more important to you. Better controls or more battery life.

I get 13 hours on my nano which is plenty. Normally I use it only 1 hour a day for my mornng workout. Then I use if on thursdays for 2 additional hours (house cleaning and errands). So typically I charge it once every two weeks.

If school is in session I use it 3 hours a day (my morning work out and 1 hour commute into and outta NYC), plus 2 hours on thursday (house cleaning and errands). Then I charge it once every four days. Sure more battery life would be nice but..doesn't really matter, I'm satisfied. Happy Here's some infor on the nano's battery life span
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=71&threadID=163139&messageID=1806056

The controls on the nano are the best imo. I've been able to get my hands on a creative micro photo, iriver H10, iriver U10, Sansa m230, Cowon A2 (I own it) and some other players. Hands down I feel the click wheel is the best. It's the reason that if Apple comes out with a PMP ipod, I'm selling my cowon.

To me spec are nice, but the controls are what truly matters. I mean what do you spend the most time with? The controls. As long as the specs are sufficent and can be applied to everyday life...I'm all about the controls.

On that note I would like to point something out in the favor of the samsung. It doesn't have dedicated volume buttons. That's something I wish the iPod had. Besides that I'm iffy on the player, all the reviews I've read don't paint me a pretty picture when it comes to the controls.

Either way enjoy whatever player you get. Either one will be a fine choice. You'll just have to decide what is the better sacrifice.

Collapse -
See, that's just it....
by Night Surfer / March 27, 2006 3:01 AM PST

The CNet review (and a few others) bash the Z5's interface. Having owned a Nano and the Z5, this baffles me.
Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing inherently wrong with the Nano clickwheel, and the Z5 interface DOES take a bit of time to get used to (an Hour, maybe). It's just that, IMO, the Z5 interface is just as easy to use but much more functional. You mentioned the dedicated volume controls, but the track forward, track backward, and pause/play buttons always do the same thing no matter where you are in the menu, as well. This is HUGE.
The battery life is also not to be dismissed, IMO. Well more than double is also huge.

Collapse -
RE: See, that's just it....
by Glorybox3737 / March 27, 2006 8:31 AM PST

I always felt that having to keep lifting and putting down your fingers is more of a pain than the simple slide you have with the click wheel. I think the circular design that apple and sandisk (the new series, dying to try it out) is more logical and less stress on the thumbs. That's one of the major things that helped in my decision not to get the creative micro. I didn't like the stress on my thumbs.

How large is the music collection that you have on the samsung? Also what do you mean by the interface being more functional?

The dedicated volume is a major plus and the only differance I see between the two players. Other than that the nano's track forward, track backward and pause/play buttons are dedicated. I can be in any menu with the nano and still be able to perform those functions.

P.S. I just want to clarify I'm not challenging you or anything. I'm curious to see what an actual owner (who's also had the nano) has to say about the samsung.

Collapse -
Z5
by Night Surfer / March 27, 2006 11:39 PM PST

I have abot 1000 songs and a dozen or so pictures on it.
It's pretty full. I could, however, fit more if I took the time to convert more mp3's to WMA but 1000 is enough for now.
I am not one of those guys who just hates iPods. I enjoyed my Nano and I agree: the clickwheel is very cool and a remarkable feat of engineering.
The main reasons that I switched to the Z5 are:
Longer battery life. This is big for me. I listen to my player alot and having to charge it less than half as often is important to me.
Sound quality. The Nano sounds fine but the Z5 has more volume (important when I am in noisy areas) and a bit cleaner sound.
The larger screen was a plus but not that big of a deal.
The #1 reason I switched: iTunes. It bothered me greatly that this software was shoved down my throat. It's not that it's a bad program, it's more that I like to keep my system lean and mean and I just don't like being forced to use anything.
50$ cheaper didn't hurt either Wink
I just liked the Z5 better and I am happier with it is the bottom line, I guess.

Collapse -
Also...
by Night Surfer / March 27, 2006 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Z5

While the smudge and scratch issue is not that big of a deal to me, metal is more durable than plastic and my players tend to take a beating. As long as it still works I am not overly concerned by that, however.
Revise my #1 reason for switching to the Z5: the dedicated volume control. I can adjust the volume without even taking it out of my pocket. Important if you listen while riding a bike or rollerblading, which I do.

Collapse -
I get you
by Glorybox3737 / March 28, 2006 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Also...

I'm pretty happy with my nano. Most the reasons you switched wouldn't really affect me. The dedicated volume basically the only thing that appeals to me. Most the time not having a dedicated volume control doesn't bother me. I never had to take the nano out of my pocket to change the volume. Just slide your finger where you want it to go. The only time it's a problem is when I'm in the menu. It's not often enough to be a problem, just a minor annoyance.

Collapse -
Same debate
by shq_jam / March 28, 2006 1:04 PM PST

I am trying to select between the two as well. (The Sansa e270 was on my list but sound quality is important to me.) I like the flexibility of a non-iPod and the battery life of the Samsung YP-Z5. I visited a store today and asked to try the YP-Z5 and have done the same with the iPod nano in the past. I did notice that I overshot items at first but was getting used to it within a couple of minutes. Since I don't alreay own an iPod, the learning curve would be about the same and don't expect it to be an issue at all. So, my decision has been made and the Samsung YP-Z5 is my choice! Good luck with your decision.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!