Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

iPod Nano 3 gen. does not play some MP3 files

I bought a iPod Nano 3 Gen, 4GB version, as an upgrade to my iPod shuffle (it had stopped working after it went into the washing machine along with my jeans). I found that a few of the MP3 files which would play fine on the iPod shuffle now refuse to play on the Nano. The song would start playing, and then just stop and skip to the next song. At times, the song would cause the player to "hang" or freeze up, with non of the buttons working, and not being detected on iTunes, even if connected to my PC. So far, I've noticed this with a couple of songs, and here are the details of one of them...
bitrate = 192
codec = MP3
channels = 2
samplerate = 44100
mp3_stereo_mode = joint stereo
----------
12863855 samples @ 44100Hz
File size: 6 990 994 bytes

The file is a simple 192Kbps file (no VBR), so one would expect that it plays fine. I checked Apple's discussion forum, and found that there are more people facing this issue, so it is a "known" issue with the iPod nano. I wonder why Apple does not do anything about it?
I recently upgraded the firmware to 1.1, but that does not fix this error. In fact, the upgrade actually causes new errors in photos - the half-screen picture slideshow does not start when you browse albums. So I wouldn't recommend anyone to upgrade.
Considering that Apple charges way more than it should for it's iPod brand name, it should at least make sure that they can do the basics of playing Mp3 files!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPod Nano 3 gen. does not play some MP3 files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPod Nano 3 gen. does not play some MP3 files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How did you make this MP3?

In reply to: iPod Nano 3 gen. does not play some MP3 files

I ran into this issue but they had got it from limewire. After pulling the song from the CD it played fine.

Which begs the question. Are MP3 players that can't play any MP3 from limewire crap?

Bob

Collapse -
What did you use to encode the MP3?

Sometimes, it may be a question of what program created the MP3 version. It's true that most programs should produce entirely playable MP3s (especially 192Kbps continuous bitrate), but occasionally a third-party app may produce something oddly incompatible.

If you own the CDs for the music in question, try re-ripping the tracks. If not, another download may work. There's also the possibility that something happened to the music during the transfer to the iPod, in which case either editing the track information or restoring the iPod may help.

Collapse -
I think it was LAME

In reply to: What did you use to encode the MP3?

Most of my songs were ripped using LAME. However, these came from someone else's library (acquired - the kind which Apple frowns on).

Collapse -
And there it is.

In reply to: I think it was LAME

I can create MP3s that won't play on my iPod with LAME. So does that make the iPod crap?

Collapse -
I think it does

In reply to: And there it is.

LAME is one of the best encoders available out there today. Being open source, it is widely adopted, and you get the best audio quality (some website had done a test).
BTW, Apple removed my post from their forum... a pretty un-democratic thing to do. Looks like they dont want anyone saying that the nano does not play regular MP3's! Thanks to sites like Cnet, others can still see this...

Collapse -
Did you just call all MP3 players CRAP?

In reply to: I think it does

Armed with LAME I can make MP3s that won't play on any MP3 device. Following your line of reason you just dis'd all players.

Bob

Collapse -
Tangential reasoning here...

In reply to: Did you just call all MP3 players CRAP?

And I can build a road that breaks the suspension of any car... point is that with a tool like LAME it is easy to make something non-standard, as it allows you to tweak it, but the regular MP3's should play. Just to highlight that LAME is not the issue, remember I mentioned in my original post that the same MP3 file plays fine on my older shuffle?

Collapse -
(NT) So we have a fix and all the players are OK now?

In reply to: Tangential reasoning here...

Collapse -
Format Error with IPod Nano 4gb

I have added mp3's multiple times and i keep getting the error message on my IPod.... FORMAT ERROR... does anyone know what causes this?

Collapse -
So far, the issues noted above.

In reply to: Format Error with IPod Nano 4gb

We can find MP3s that won't play as noted above.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.