Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Ipod nano 2GB VS. Sandisk Sansa e250 2GB

by dogeater_trini / September 17, 2006 11:27 AM PDT

which one is better to buy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ipod nano 2GB VS. Sandisk Sansa e250 2GB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ipod nano 2GB VS. Sandisk Sansa e250 2GB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Comparing Specs - depends upon your preferences
by MacHugger / September 17, 2006 11:54 AM PDT

Screen:
Nano: 1.5 inch.
e250: 1.8 inch.
Comments: Nano screen appears to be brighter.

Size:
Nano: 3.5 x 1.6 x .26
e250: 3.5 x 1.7 x .5
Comments: Nano is half as thick a little smaller.

Battery life:
Nano: max 24 hrs.
e250: max 20 hrs.

FM tuner:
Nano: must purchase $50 accessory
e250: built in

Colors:
Nano: 5 (sort of)
e250: black

Other features of the players: e250 can use SD cards for additional memory. May only support PC so if you have a Mac you may be out of luck - unclear on this but their site only lists Windows compatibility.

For me and what I need/don't need, the Nano just edges out the e250 for the features I like (e250 completely disqualified for me if it doesn't work with Macs). But the previous generation Nano would have been edged out by the e250 for PC users, I think. I'd say the new Nanos take the lead again.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Oops - forgot price
by MacHugger / September 17, 2006 11:57 AM PDT

Price:

Nano 2GB: $149
e250 2GB: $129

Nano 4GB: $199
e250 4GB: $199

Nano 8GB: $249
e250 - has no 8GB yet but their 6GB is $219

Collapse -
Good Rundown/slight corrrections
by RodderRodder / September 18, 2006 10:19 AM PDT

Screen: brightness is adjustable on both.

Battery life: Could be true, I'll have to see if that is actually true be because what they say and actual use varies.

FM Tuner:
Sansa E-series: If you are in Europe, no FM Tuner or recording capabilities at all. This is direct from Sandisk's website.

Colors:
The new Nano only has colors in the 4 GB ones. The 2GB which is th equivalent to the Sansa E250 is black, I believe. All of the Sansa E series is however, black.

Other features:
Sansa E-series uses MicroSD and no, it doesn't appear that there is Mac support. Possibly because of Plays-for-sure DRM.

Last but not least, the Sansa E series has 4 offerings, one of which is 2GB E250that is being compared. The Sansa E280, which is the 8GB version, has been on the market for at least 2 or 3 weeks before the Apple affair. The price on Sandisk's site is $249. The price has been seen lower on Froogle.

Collapse -
sansa: big plus / big minus
by robstak / September 19, 2006 12:34 AM PDT

SD card slot I think is AWESOME. (itd be cool to buy albums on them as you can already get games like madden)

however,

A friend of mine bought one, and while it looks cool on cnet tv, it felt really cheap in my hand, esp around the wheel. as an active person id really be concerned about that.

it's def a toughie.

Collapse -
You know, that does sound like a good idea.
by RodderRodder / September 19, 2006 11:59 AM PDT

about the MicroSD albums or movies. I think that if Sony's Memory stick duo movie thing works out. This could be next.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) true i forgot they did that. lol.
by robstak / September 19, 2006 2:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
nano or Sansa....
by thriftyT / September 17, 2006 12:47 PM PDT

It depends. Are you a Mac user? If so, stick with the iPods and you won't be disappointed.

If you use a PC and have purchased stuff off of iTunes or use iTunes, the iPod nano would be a solid choice as well.

If you have music in WMA and MP3s only then definitely go with the Sansa. The Ipod plays MP3s, but doesn't play WMA... for sure.
--------------------------------------------------------
If this is the 1st MP3 player you've ever gotten and you're starting a computer music library from scratch, consider these major differences between the Sansa e250 and iPod nano 2GB:

The Sansa is cheaper by about $30 list price, but can be had (via eBay, etc) for only about $100.

If cost is a big issue, go with the Sansa. It has upgradeable memory, so you can spend more money later and you'll have an MP3 player that grows.

The Sansa has FM radio built-in, so if you listen to the radio alot, the Sansa is probably better.

Of course, if you like colors... go nano =)

Hope this helps...
ThriftyT

Collapse -
Here's my input...
by 8atenate / September 19, 2006 2:53 PM PDT

I think i have a good view on this topic because i recently owned an ipod but i now own the sansa e250.

One of the most important facts is that the e250 is around $140 and a 2gb ipod is $149. i actually got my e250 for $120 so that was a huge selling point for me. so the e250 is cheaper AND you don't have to spend hundreds of bucks on ipod accessories. overall the sansa is less expensive.

Also, the sansa has more features than the ipod nano. I think that the video play capability and fm tuner put this mp3 player way ahead of the ipod nano. Also, i like the bigger screen, removable sd capability, replacable battery.

Plus, the e250 looks pretty rad. I mean, ipods are cool and stylish and everything, but sansa's are sexy as well.

Now, there are a couple of drawbacks, like the sansa doesn't offer am radio. uhm, and it doesn't really have a dedicated computer program like ipod + itunes. I found what works the best is windows media player 11. it easily syncs with the sansa. windows media player 11 is the closest thing to seamless right now and it's kind of cool as well (try upgrading).

Overall, i feel that the sansa is the better mp3 player. it's a sound little device and it has some really cool features. if you're not brainwashed by apple you should definately try an alternative.

Collapse -
HELP ME!!!
by theebo / November 21, 2006 12:05 PM PST

What should I choose the sandisk or the ipod. It is my newest moral delemar.

Collapse -
Ask yourself what you want in a player
by ktreb / November 21, 2006 2:25 PM PST
In reply to: HELP ME!!!

Then compare what you want to what the iPod and the Sansa offer. If you can get to a store to see/hear/touch them all the better. Good luck.

I love my 2G pink Nano, by the way.

Collapse -
questions about formats
by ddubb / November 21, 2006 3:58 PM PST

There's a few things I'm still not 100% clear about.

Ipods only play their own propietary formats - yes/no?

AAC and mp4, I think. Definitely not .rm or .wma, but from what I understand, not even .mp3 - yes/no?

No other non-ipod products play those Ipod formats - yes/no?

Whether Mac or PC, you still need Itunes to play those formats on your desktop machine - yes/no?

Non-ipod devices may or may not play a variety of formats, but at a minimum all will at least play .mp3 - yes/no?

My big question is this: once you have a collection of songs in one format or another, how easy is it to change them into another format? Are there cheap or free apps to re-encode music files?

Is it even possible to change Ipod-able files into non-ipod files and vice versa?

What about when you buy songs from Itunes, can you encode them however you want and put them on any device you ever own in the future, or will they only work with an Ipod? Will those songs at least transfer to a newer Ipod in the future?

About 4 years ago a co-worker and I each bought our first mp3 players. She got an Ipod, I got a Creative, each device was 20gb. We both still use those devices. But since then I also got a Samsung 1gb clip-on (smaller than the Nano plus it has a display and 14 hr battery life). I really fell in love with the form factor of the Iriver Clix and almost bought one even though I really, really don't need it. But I am actually hoping to buy a portable video player (like an Archos) when those come down in price a bit.

My most recent purchase was a Palm PDA with media player software and a 2gb SD card. I still use the Creative and the Samsung but for now I listen to the PDA more than anything else.

I bring up all this history for the purpose of asking the following question: if I had started out with an Ipod 4 years ago, then ripped my entire CD collection and bought dozens of tunes on Itunes, is there any way that I would be able to enjoy that content on the Samsung, Clix, Archos or PDA?

Collapse -
Answers to some of your questions: iPods do play mp3s
by ktreb / November 21, 2006 4:39 PM PST

Ipod plays mp3s, protected and unprotected AACs, WAV(uncompressed audio), audible(audio books) and some other formats that I'm not familiar with.

For iTunes purchased content, you will need iTunes. Real Player can play unprotected AACs, so I've heard.

Most other non-iPod devices play mp3s as well as wmas. Devices that are labelled "Plays For Sure" can play protected wma content purchased from stores such as Naptser and Rhapsody (not Zune Marketplace)

If all of your songs are in mp3 format, you can play them on almost any player. (There might be some odd player out there that won't - maybe some of the early Sony models)

If you have purchased content from iTunes, you would need to burn the songs as an audio cd and then re-rip them onto your computer as mp3s. It's probably best to do this within iTunes so you can keep your song titles. Then you can play them on any player with other software.

The same thing applies to purchased content from other stores such as Napster and Rhapsody.

If you have a lot of purchased content, this can be a time-consuming process. And you may lose a little bit of audio quality, but this is negligible unless you're a true audiophile.

However, songs purchased from eMusic and Audio Lunchbox are in mp3 format and therefore, DRM-free and can be played on any player without doing that pesky conversion thing.

Hopefully this answers some, if not all of your questions.

Good night and good luck.

Collapse -
thanks, that helped a lot
by ddubb / November 23, 2006 3:47 PM PST

So it turns out that getting "trapped" (as I had put it) into the Ipod world is a bit less restrictive than I thought. Its good to know that they'll at least play mp3s. Which makes sense since most podcasts are mp3s (I think). I did run across one podcast that was mp4 or something and only played on Ipods or on a pc, through Itunes.

And I forgot to consider Audible.

The idea of acquiring content in aac, then having to burn it to CD and then re-rip to change the format is a bit daunting. I don't think anyone would actually do a lot of that.

I'm far from being an audophile in any kind of elitist way. But, when I do acquire/rip/store music, I do try my best to get and keep it at the highest possible quality level, and its important that I get it into the most widely used format which has the best chance of survival. Here's why:

Although the portable players I own don't have the highest sound reproduction capability (samsung YP-F1, palm pda) I do hope to also hear my music played off my computer and through a decent receiver (currently a Harmon Kardon). I figure I just may as well do as much as I can to preserve the highest possible quality. What if mp3 becomes obsolete, and I need to re-encode my entire digital music collection into a new format. Its not likely that the quality of the new files would exceed the old, and a negligible loss is almost inevitable.

That's why I want to avoid the Itunes universe. I don't want to end up with different formats and/or parts of my collection having even the least restrictions. For now I'll just stick to mp3 with kbps set at vbr and zero tolerance for drm.

Collapse -
one thing to check into
by beelissa / November 21, 2006 10:57 PM PST

I have a Sansa e140. It has a very annoying feature that I think has been fixed with the 200 series but I'm not sure.

When I'm listening to a podcast on my e140, and I have to stop in the middle, when I go back, it doesn't remember where I was in the file, but starts again at the beginning. You can imagine how annoying this would be in the middle of a long podcast. In addition, the controls are not the easiest to use, and occasionally when I'm trying to fast forward or rewind, it jumps me to the next file on the list -- also annoying if you're in the middle of a podcast. I never try to fast forward through the Earthlink guy, for example, because I'm more than likely going to get jumped out of the BOL file entirely and have to find my place again and waste much more time than the ad takes to play.

Like I said, I don't know if the 200 series does this, and it wouldn't be a big deal if you want a player just for music, but you should make sure before you buy. I knew about this but didn't anticipate how annoying it would be.

Collapse -
Sansa E280 vs Me
by Owyn / November 23, 2006 6:47 PM PST

I have been considering the E280 as a new portable player.

- No iTunes protected files
- Minimal desire and no need for portable video
- Lots of unprotected MP3 and WMA
- Need FM radio reception. Recording not a need.

However, I also have some specific requirements

- Player must be mountable as standard USB drive. No special software mandatory to update device.
- Multiple playlist support.
- Stand up to active portable use. I do not own a car. I cycle almost everywhere year round. My current player is frequently stashed in a pocket while playing. I also wear it on a jury rigged neckless. Depends on the weather.

Willing to live with transcoding (converting) occasional m4a or m4b podcast. Not willing to transcode existing wma files.

So, is the E280 the right portable for me?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!