General discussion

iPod dock with multiple wireless speaker system

I recently purchased an iSymphony W2C, but it seems that additional wireless speakers are no longer available. I was thinking of returning it and getting the iSymphony W5C, but found several lousy reviews on Costco.com, & besides, the sound from the W2C isn't great. I want to be able to dock my iPod in one location and have 3 total sets of wireless speakers in 3 adjacent rooms. I'm not a big TV or video person - I really just want decent quality sound, with ability to use a remote to control the volume of each speaker set individually. Is there something out there that's high quality under $1 K that will allow this? Bose's home audio systems are too expensive for my budget, and go beyond my needs. Thanks in advance for ideas, etc.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: iPod dock with multiple wireless speaker system
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: iPod dock with multiple wireless speaker system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Demand just not there for multi-room wireless

You will probably have to spend more to get robust multiple room wireless functionality. There simply isn't the demand to warrant the lower price point you are requesting. Plus, the vast majority of wireless systems will not hold a candle to the sound quality of wired ones.

FWIW, Sonos just announced a new iPod dock. Worth a look perhaps, especially if you have a pair of speakers laying around.

http://gizmodo.com/5645686/sonos-wd100-ipod-dock-floats-music-wirelessly-to-multi+room-systems

http://www.sonos.com/products/zoneplayers/zp120/default.aspx?rdr=true&LangType=1033

- Collapse -
Options
- Collapse -
wait to see what comes out for Apple's new Air Play

protocol in November. In theory you'll be able to stream directly to multiple powered speakers directly from your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Apple already does something like this whereby iTunes streams to multiple airport expresses around the house with all of it controlled via the free Remote app on your idevice. Except this time the music is actually coming from your iPod or iPhone or iPad and going directly to the speakers, bypassing the computer and iTunes altogether.

Airplay will be licensed to a variety of manufacturers (iHome was one of the first to jump on board). Others will follow I'm sure. Think of it as iPod dock systems without the docks. Could be really handy in cars as well.

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/discover/airplay/

- Collapse -
good stuff

Thanks for sharing that one. I'll grab something from iHome over the winter and try it out. Most of their accessories aren't horribly expensive (sold @ Target, etc.), so at least I can get a sense of whether or not it's viable.

CNET Forums

Forum Info