Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

iPod Classic Vs. iPod Nano. Which to get?

by xBTMx / December 3, 2008 5:55 AM PST

My iTunes library is about 14 GB so a nano would have very little upgrade room for music. But the Nano is much smaller and sleeker. I already has a 5th gen which is almost the same thing as a Classic but a classic has all the storage you could want. The classic is also bulkier though. Any thoughts on what you would choose in this situation?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPod Classic Vs. iPod Nano. Which to get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPod Classic Vs. iPod Nano. Which to get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
do you really need all that storage?
by ktreb / December 3, 2008 12:41 PM PST

My situation is different from yours, but this is how I do it.

I also have the 5th gen, as well as 2nd gen Nano, and 2 generations of Touches. Having all of these, I don't feel the need to carry around my entire music collection, which stands right now at 20GB audio and a whole lot more video. If I rip the rest of my cd collection, I could have close to 150GB. That probably won't happen since I'm pretty sure I won't listen to it.

I find myself carrying around my 16GB 2nd generation Touch much more than everything else. Half is devoted to video - movies, tv, video podcasts. The other half is audio - books, music, podcasts. And the music I put on it are selected playlists, which I do a lot of. I also keep different playlists on the other older Touch and the Nano, while the 5th generation has all of my ripped music.

My opinion? Go for the smaller and sleeker. You don't necessarily need to carry all of your music. You still have that 5th generation and it still has room to spare (I take it you got the 30GB?) You can always get that Classic at a later date, if you feel the need.

Collapse -
iPod Nano 4th Generation
by ColonelTravis / December 6, 2008 12:07 PM PST

I know you probably weren't considering the Touch, but that's the only thing I can recommend (having used ones belonging to friends). If you're only thinking iPods, then the Touch is likely the best way to go, since it comes in 32GB now. They're pretty expensive, though. However, it has flash memory, which is better than the Classic's hard drive, which won't hold up if you shake it too much. If you're like me, and don't like the touchscreen (I think the click wheel is easier to use), then you should stick with your 5g Classic.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?