Mac Applications forum

General discussion

iPhoto library-linked freeze.

by Stephen Goulden / August 4, 2009 7:32 PM PDT

Since my G4 motherboard died, I have been having a load of problems reloading everything onto my new iMac. I have done this by removing the HDs from the G4, putting them into a desk top case, and copying them, item by item, onto the iMac.
One item which was transferred has frozen my desktop - an iPhoto library; when I opened it, the desktop froze, and I could close it. My solution was to Trash it from the HD window, but it took everything on the desktop with it. I have reloaded from Time Machine, so I hope nothing is lost, but there are pictures i the Library (as well as the contents of the files which were on the desk top), to a total of 65GB. I have copied it (from Trash) onto a spare desktop HD, and don't want to open it again until I now how to deal with it without it causing the same problem again.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

iMac 2.66GHz, intel 2 Duo, OS 10.5.7, 4GB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhoto library-linked freeze.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhoto library-linked freeze.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 6, 2009 9:45 AM PDT

but it's likely that the iPhoto version from the G4 was not the same as the one on the new iMac.

How did you open the library? Had you already replaced the existing iPhoto library with the old one from the G4?

Do you still have copy of the version of iLife that you had on the G4?

P

Collapse -
iPhoto library-linked freeze.
by Stephen Goulden / August 6, 2009 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought,

I can't respond intelligently to your suggestion because I can't recall just how I uploaded everything to the new iMac from the G4. However, I don't have the version of iPhoto which was on the G4 anymore - I trashed all my apps when I had finished uploading (accidentally - thank goodness I had finished!).
I make a habit of upgrading software when it is on the Apple upgrade list, and iPhoto is one there routinely, so it should have been the same one.
Incidentally,I have an Aperture library, from the same source, which won't open; it doesn't freeze the system, as the iPhoto library does, but I can't get into it. You might have some ideas about that also.

Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
Unless you have ever purchased a new version of iLife,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 6, 2009 11:26 PM PDT

for your G4, specifically iPhoto 09,the two versions of iPhoto are a long way apart. Software update will only update the iLife Suite for the version that you have installed, it will not update to a new series, like iLife 08 to iLife 09.
What was the G4 iPhoto version?
If you have never purchased a copy of iLife, use the G4 Restore disks to install an older version of iPhoto on your iMac and see if you can save those photo's.
One hesitates to ask, but did you never consider creating a backup of your photo's?

As iLife09 came with your new iMac, we can assume that iPhoto is correctly installed. Can we be so sure about Aperture? Is this another of your "drag it off the old HD" methods? Try using the installation disk and re-install Aperture. You do have the disks?

By the way, none of my original questions were about how you moved the data from the old machine to the new one and there were no suggestions. The answers to my questions are still needed.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?