Mac OS forum

General discussion

iPhoto help

by jordan1934 / August 8, 2005 7:16 AM PDT

New to mac and need some help with iPhoto. On one of the fishing forums I'm on they use photobucket to add photo's and I sure am having a hard time finding the photo's I want to add to photobucket. How do you name them and locate them? Keep it simple please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhoto help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhoto help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iPhoto
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: iPhoto help

Welcome to the Mac.
You can easily name your photo's in iPhoto.
Launch iPhoto and click on the picture that you want to name. In the lower left hand side of the window there is a column with the names of all your folders in it. Underneath that, in the same column there is an Info square. If you cannot see it, locate the Blue "I" along the bottom of the window, on the left, and click it. The info square should appear. From there you can name your photo.
When you loaded you pictures from your camera to iPhoto, you put all the JPG files (the actual pictures) into iPhoto. They should be there in the Pictures folder.
If you cannot find them, you can Export your picture, the one you clicked on, by going to the Export function on the top menu bar. It's location changes depending on what version of iPhoto you are using. In iPhoto 5 it is under Sharing. Click export and export a JPG to the desktop.
Hope this helps a little

P

Collapse -
another question
by grimgraphix / August 8, 2005 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: iPhoto

Hi Peter

I was hoping you could tell me if/how you can group photos into other rolls/files in iPhoto...for instance how I can group all my dog pictures into one file rather than have them scattered throughout the 5 thousand odd pics on my hard drive...if I do this will it mess with the programs regular protical of organizing by date ?

Finally, after I do this can I then do a batch name reconversion to rename every pic in that file ?

Thanks
grim

Collapse -
Grouping Pictures
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: another question

You can do this in two ways.
1. Create a folder/album and drag all your dog pictures into it.
2. Create a Smart Folder/Album. If your pictures all have, for instance, "dog" in the title, use that as a selection criteria and all those pictures will be moved into the Smart Folder.
Remember, the library is where ALL your pictures are stored, usually in the order in which they were taken, and the Albums are where you go to view selected parts of your library. Rather like iTunes with it's Library and Playlists.
I don't think that changing the date will move the picture to a different location within the library. It will still belong to a specific "Roll"
I'm not sure about the batch name conversion thing. What are you trying to accomplish?

P

Collapse -
batch renaming pics in a file
by grimgraphix / August 9, 2005 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Grouping Pictures

'' I'm not sure about the batch name conversion thing. What are you trying to accomplish? ''...

'' If your pictures all have, for instance, ''dog'' in the title, use that as a selection criteria and all those pictures will be moved into the Smart Folder. ''...

thats exactly the reason why...so that once I group all my dog pics or aunt jane pics or any other subject, I then would batch rename all the pics so that ''fred the dog'' is in the title. This way I can then send a cd to my sister and if she loads the cd into her collection of family pics and then wants to later search her hard drive for all ''fred'' or ''dog'' pics using searchlight or google's search utility for pc, then the correct pics will show up !

The whole point of the exercise is I am building a family history cd including scanning in hundreds of old pics and would like to batch rename the pics placed in different files as I go. This will hopefully make it easier to cross reference these pics in the future. I know how to do this with Irfanviews on pc but am trying to avoid my pc and do it all on my Mac.

Thanks and any other advice is welcome as well.

grim

Collapse -
OK,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 9, 2005 5:40 AM PDT

to be successful at the batch renaming, you would first have to sort them all by hand and then move them all to one location on the HD.
Then the batch file could run through all the files in that folder and add "dog" to the title.
I'm not sure you can do this within iPhoto but I will check it out.

P

Collapse -
Thanks Peter for the input
by grimgraphix / August 9, 2005 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: OK,

It's cool if iPhoto can't do it...I just miss some of the organizational tools that I have on my pc. Just the frustrations of learning to ride a new horse, don't you know. Just out of curiosity (I know your solidly behind Mac) but have you ever had the oppurtunity to use Irfanview ?

I have to admit it's the only free ware I ever sent the donation in for...An amazingly powerful and quick photo organizer that a digital-pic hobbiest cant do without for pc. Plugins allow easy interfacing with most other image editing programs like photoshop and easy resizing for email or desktop publishing. Wish the guy would port it over to Mac.

Its a program I think you would appreciate despite the platform it works on.

grim

Collapse -
Irfanview
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 9, 2005 7:49 AM PDT

Yes, I use Irfanview at work.
For the closest equivalent on the Mac, check out GraphicConvertor. It opens just about anything and does a whole bunch of other stuff.

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!