Mac Applications forum

General discussion

iPhoto and back up

by karthij / December 5, 2010 11:24 PM PST

Hello all,

REcently i transferred some 'Events' from the iphoto '08 library to an external hard drive. I got directions to do this from another mac-help site.

I did the following:
1. connect external hard drive to MBP
2. GO to User>Pictures>iPhoto Library, Right Click, select 'SHow Package COntents>Originals, select 2010>Event TG
3. THen I dragged the event TG to the connected External Hard drive.

After disconnecting the Ext.Hard drive, I opened iPhoto and directly went to event TG. It showed all thumbnails but when I click on one photo...a 'Black Exclamation mark' comes up instead of the pic.

Did I do something wrong while transferring? How can I transfer pics as a back up to an external hard drive while still retaining them on my MBP?

ANy advice.

I did look up for similar topics on this forum but cudnt find the solution, hence this thread.

rgards,

KJ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhoto and back up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhoto and back up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Put that folder back and see if there is a difference
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: iPhoto and back up

if there is, repeat the process but hold down the "Option" key when you drag the folder to the external.
This ensures that the file is copied and not moved

P

Collapse -
Thanks and more..
by karthij / December 7, 2010 12:17 AM PST

THanks for the reply, will surely do it, havent got a chance yet.

WHile still at backup, i thought I might bring up the next Qs too.

REcently got a new MBP which came with the iPhoto 11 (or iLife 11, confused with the numbers!)

Its the latest iLife. Did the iPhoto update to 9.1. Transferred the pics from ext hard drive to 'User>Pics>iphoto Library-Show package contents>Originals>Folder 2010.

THen opened iPhoto. When events are clicked, the Thumbnails are shown but when the thumbnail is clicked the black exclamation mark returns.

I looked up on Apple's Discussion forum and some had suggested 'Hold down Option and open iPhoto, that gave a option about building a new library, etc'. Followed that protocol but still the black exclamation mark comes up in place of the pic.

ANy idea how do I fix this issue with iPhoto 11 (9.1)

Regards,
KJ

Collapse -
The new iPhoto is 9.1 and is contained in iLife 11
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 7, 2010 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks and more..

moving bits and pieces out of the iPhoto Library is, as you have discovered, fraught with danger.
iPhoto stores things where it needs them and when you move them around the result is chaos.

I don't think it is an iPhoto 9.1 problem so much as a user caused problem.

Let's get everything back into the iPhoto library and start over with this.

Just a guess, but did you drag the events from iPhoto itself onto the external or did you dig into the library folders to find the events?
I'm guessing the latter as dragging the events from the iPhoto app onto the external would have resulted in copies being created on the external.

P

Collapse -
Library
by karthij / December 7, 2010 10:27 PM PST

Your guess is right, mrmacfixit, I did go to the User>Pictures>RIght click 'iPhoto Library'......and drag Folder 2010 to the ext.hard drive.

Now, realized that that was a wrong way to do it. How do I get them back to their original place?

rgards

Kj

Collapse -
Theoretically, you just do the reverse
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 8, 2010 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Library

and put it back into place again.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.