HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Applications forum

General discussion

iPhoto '08

by kafeepot / October 9, 2007 11:56 AM PDT

Hello everybody,

I installed the iLife '08 suite and am had some questions about the same.

When I open Mac HD and on the left hand side navigator I select 'Pictures'....it shows iPhoto Library and Photobooth.

but when I click on iPhoto Library...it does not show the different folders (Originals, Modified, etc) which used to come up in the earlier iPhoto'06 version.

is there a way to enable that?

thanks in advance

K

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhoto '08
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhoto '08
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IPhoto 8
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: iPhoto '08

When you open iPhoto 08 and choose Library from the top of the left hand pane, do you still see the albums that you had created in iPhoto 06?

Hopefully the installation did not change any of the folder names within the iPhoto Library, that would be very unusual for an installer to do that, as the whole concept of organizing the pictures relies on these names for use within iPhoto. It is extremely unlikely that the installer deleted any folders at all.

Do a Spotlight search for any of the original folder names and see what turns up.

Let us know

P

Collapse -
Yes, but...
by kafeepot / October 10, 2007 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: IPhoto 8

When I open iPhoto '08 the Library has everything from the previous version and now the photos are all arranged as events or I can view them as photos.

But the problem comes up when, for eg., I want to assign a photo for my username in lets say Adium. Then I go to choose photo/icon..choose icon/browse ...and a huge window slides down....then click on Pictres.....iPhoto and Photobooth are listed in a panel...select iPhoto...then iPhoto library....Modified, Original folders + etc....originals---each photo is listed in next side panel....from where I can choose photos.

Now when I do the same steps....everything is fine until I click on Pictures..that leads to iphoto and Photobooth. Then when i click on iphoto, then just the iphoto icon shows up on the side bar.....meaning the 'yellow photo with a canon camera in front'- icon with the 'more info' button.

Earlier, in iPhoto '06, when I used to click on iPhoto--then iPhoto Library--then Modified, Originals and other things....when I click on Originals folder---all the .jpg photos used to list up and i could select any photo.

I checked iTunes '08---that still shows up as earlier--i can select--music--itunes library--then individual folders or songs...so thats fine.

I HOPE I DIDNT CONFUSE you all!!

but is there a way i could see the photos listed down so I can assign a pic for adium or for anything else!!

thanks for reading till now

K

Collapse -
Ok,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 10, 2007 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, but...

You can turn off the events thing and revert to Rolls, as in 06, but I doubt this will change any of the folders inside the iPhoto Library.

For the installer to change or remove a bunch of folders seems to be a rather draconian move and not one that I would associate with the normal Apple software installers.

I just took a look at my Pictures > iPhoto Library and I can see what you are talking about. I am currently running iPhoto 6.

Did you do the spotlight search for your folders and have you looking inside any of the folders in the iPhoto library folder?

P

Collapse -
something interesting!
by kafeepot / October 10, 2007 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok,

So I was looking for an answer on Apple's website--support>discussions> iPhoto

and here's what i found
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1171653&tstart=30

I did what the second person (TD) says at the very end of the response....so 'right click' on iPhoto Library and from the menu select 'show package contents'----then another window opens up showing all the folders as they used to in iPhoto '06.

My next question is---how do i let the 'show package contents' be ON for ever----meaning when I do the 'select the photo' thing that I mentioned in the earlier post....I am not able to right click on iPhoto library--in order to get 'show package contents'

now how does one enable 'show package contents'?

thanks peter for taking time to read the posts and provide solutions

K

Collapse -
The fog is thinning
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 10, 2007 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: something interesting!

Maybe the answer to your problem is contained within that answer from TD.
If you're willing to risk database corruption, you can restore the older functionality simply by right clicking on the iPhoto Library and choosing 'Show Package Contents'. Then simply make an alias to the folders you require and put that alias on the desktop or where ever you want it.
Unquote

If you browse to the iPhoto library using the Finder, locate your original folders by Right (Control) clicking and Show Package Contents.
Once you have found them, select the one you want to be able to access and make an alias of it. (Command + L) Drag that alias onto the desktop. Repeat as necessary until you have done all that you require.
Come out of the Package and drag the alias icons from the desktop into your Pictures folder. Not inside any other folder, just at the root of the Pictures folder.

Now, in theory, when you are using another program to find your pictures, you will see the Alias icons in the pictures folder. Click on them and you will see your "recently lost" folders as they were in 06.

I've just tried it using another application and it worked for me.

let me know

P

Collapse -
alas! not yet
by kafeepot / October 11, 2007 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: The fog is thinning

ok so I did what TD suggested in the forum and what you told.

So I created a 'Original-alias' folder. Placed it on desktop.

then when I clicked Mac HD...i dragged the Original-alias folder form desktop to the Pictures --on left hand side bottom of the side panel.

then I closed the window and opened Mac HD again.

MacHD> Pictures (LHS-bottom)> iPhoto Lib, Original-alias,Photobooth

SUrprisingly, when I click on Original-alias folder....it opens the next side panel shows all the photo folders for a milli-second and then vanishes and is replaced by the 'more info' button.

And another thing is---if i 'right click' on the original-alias folder when it comes up after the above steps..then the 'show package contents' is itself not there!!!

Has this been done on purpose as TD mentioned in the apple discussions forum? or was my installation not done properly?

K

Collapse -
Wow, now the plot thickens
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 11, 2007 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: alas! not yet

This "may" be something to do with the More Info thing and is worthy of further research.

I'm going to guess that the same thing happens if the alias is not in the Pictures folder.

P

Collapse -
Work Around
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 11, 2007 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: something interesting!

When you can see these folders, using the "View Package Contents", is it possible to drag the folder out of the iPhoto Library and leave it in the root of the pictures folder?
That way, if it is possible, you should have access to them easily.

Were these folders ever used by iPhoto 06? Were they visible in the iPhoto library or were they just folders that you created for pictures that you had edited with an external editor?

P

Collapse -
Ha Ha!
by kafeepot / October 12, 2007 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Work Around

Ok! Peter, heres what happened.

As you suggested I did 'show package contents' then from there moved 'Originals' folder to the Root pictures (the one on LHS bottom---that one, right?) and voila! the Original folder shows its content..and I can select an individual pic. And surprisingly the 'Original-alias' folder behaves well and shows its contents too without it disappering in a milli-second!!

Regarding were they used by iPhoto 06...i dont know, so these are the folders i am talking about and from here, i used to use the Originals, I dont know what the other stuff is!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7863616@N06/1554448134/

I hope this seems to have solved the problem at least for now.
THanks a bunch peter for helping out. I wonder if the Originals folder if its at the Pictures root---will it update itself everytime that I add more photos to iPhoto.

will have to wait and watch !!

K

Collapse -
IGreat!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 12, 2007 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Ha Ha!

You can see why Apple put all those things inside a box and circled the wagons!

iPhoto keeps track of all the stuff that happens inside iPhoto but gets confused and bent out of shape when someone messes with its database and database objects.

Were you editing the pictures outside of iPhoto or just accessing them for use with another program without changing them.

glad you got something worked out

P

Collapse -
new twist!
by kafeepot / October 12, 2007 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: IGreat!

So..to continue where i had left!

Moving the Originals folder to the Pictures (root-LHS bottom) turns out was not good Sad

So, if one does that and then opens iPhoto program (from the Dock) then iPhoto library shows that the pics are there but (not) quite surprisingly when one clicks on the events (iPhoto '08) the pics are neatly shown but if one wants to select one pic for viewing--then a huge '!' comes up instead of the photo.

So I had to move the Originals folder back to iPhoto Library and then everything was fine.

So, Peter, I guess making the Original-alias folder is a better option.

anyways---i wish somebody from Apple reads this and makes iPhoto '08 like iPhoto '06 just in that little area!!

Also a digression--can one put watermarks on photos via iPhoto '08 or is any special software is needed for that.

thanks again peter for your help

K

Collapse -
Watermarks
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 12, 2007 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: new twist!

I don't have 08 at the moment.

I'll see what I can find

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.