iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

iPhone WiFi Privacy, What can IT c whn cnctd to works' WiFi?

by ChunkyChucky / March 22, 2010 2:31 AM PDT

if i am on my iPhone and i connect to my works' password secured WiFi connection, what all is IT able to view?

can they see my phone #?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone WiFi Privacy, What can IT c whn cnctd to works' WiFi?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone WiFi Privacy, What can IT c whn cnctd to works' WiFi?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm pretty sure that
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 22, 2010 4:54 AM PDT

your IT department can see every computer, and iPhone, that is connected to their network.
I know we can.

As to what they can see on your iPhone, I don't know if they can view the innards of your iPhone while you are connected.

P

Collapse -
thanks!
by ChunkyChucky / March 22, 2010 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm pretty sure that

thank you.

so to clarify.. they can see that i am connected to the WiFi through my iPhone.

are they able to see the app's i connect to and/or websites i access thru my iPhone?

i dont really trust our IT guy so i access various app's through my phone instead of the work computer like Wells Fargo, Fidelity, Facebook, etc.

Collapse -
Those pesky IT guys,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 22, 2010 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks!

can almost certainly read the logs that show where everyone went to while surfing the web on the company dime.

What is your company policy on using the company Internet access for personal things?

Even though you are not using their computer, it's still their network and liable to scrutiny.

P

Collapse -
thanks again!
by ChunkyChucky / March 23, 2010 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Those pesky IT guys,

i'm not a 100% about our policy but i do know that websites not approved by them are not allowed to be accessed.. some are even blocked.

Are you familiar with what info they will obtain about my iPhone when i connect to their WiFi?... phone #? websites accessed? applications accessed? history of all the above?

Collapse -
Why don't you...
by Pepe7 / March 23, 2010 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks!

...find out what your company policy is towards use of their network for personal business(?)

Collapse -
company policy
by ChunkyChucky / March 23, 2010 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Why don't you...

it states EVERYTHING is property of the company.

to rephrase my question.. what is the IT guy capable of seeing or gaining access to when i am on my iPhone using their WiFi?

Collapse -
Re: IT guy
by Kees Bakker / March 23, 2010 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: company policy

That depends on the software he has installed. We don't know. He does. So he can tell you.

Kees

Collapse -
He can't easily...
by Pepe7 / March 23, 2010 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: company policy

...sniff your passwords if you (for example) login to bank of america for secure banking (etc.). He can find out where you are going though.

Collapse -
Thanks/iPhone app
by ChunkyChucky / March 23, 2010 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: He can't easily...

thank you all!

Do you all know if iPhone applications work the same as websites?

Are they able to see what application i am accessing? the application in particular i am asking about needs WiFi to work.

Collapse -
The safest assumption
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 23, 2010 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks/iPhone app

is that IT can see everything that you do and what you do it with.

Why not just access the AT&T 3G network and be done with it?

P

Collapse -
unfortunately.. .
by ChunkyChucky / March 23, 2010 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: The safest assumption

unfortunately i have a jail-broken iPhone and my carrier is TMobile.

one of my app's decided to stop working with Edge and will only work in WiFi. I called TMobile and they will not help since it is an IPhone. Called Apple and ATT and they will not help since i have TMobile.. the maker of the app says it has something to do with privacy restriction thru TMobile but every CS rep i speak to isnt familiar with such a thing... .

hence...

=/

thanks for all the info tho.

Collapse -
Which app in particular?
by Pepe7 / March 24, 2010 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks/iPhone app

Just curious Wink

Collapse -
app's
by ChunkyChucky / March 24, 2010 3:55 AM PDT

the app's i normally use are Facebook, Loopt, Pandora, and Wells Fargo but the one that will only work in WiFi is Grindr.

Collapse -
So basically...
by Pepe7 / March 24, 2010 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: app's

Your IT guy can view the webserver logs and see by IP address which sites you are visiting when using the company internet connection. If such activity is against policy, don't do it- especially if you want to keep your job and/or aren't friendly with your IT staff ;).

Collapse -
thanks !
by ChunkyChucky / March 24, 2010 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: So basically...

ya im cool with them just dont want them to see what app's i was using.

so basically app's work the same as websites and will show up on his log correct?

Collapse -
answer
by Pepe7 / March 24, 2010 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks !

Yes, that's pretty much how it works from a layman's perspective. Each app will be connecting to an ip address/server which the IT folks can look up.

Bring them beer and laugh at their jokes(!) Wink

Collapse -
hahaha
by ChunkyChucky / March 24, 2010 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: answer

thats a good idea.. booze all does the trick.

thanks again man.

Collapse -
I'm pretty sure
by Jjagnoc / July 28, 2013 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm pretty sure that

So they can see what your looking at, but can they tell who's iPhone it is. For example your name and #.
Thanks

Collapse -
I am sure.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm pretty sure

.....that in the last 3 years since this thread was started that the OP understands it now. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?