The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

iPhone Shot Apple's Stock Way up!

by MacLover55 / July 7, 2007 3:29 PM PDT

On June 29 (the day the iPhone came out) Apple's Stock went up Approximately $13.30 up from being around $117.00 to around $132.00. This is probably from all of the people in line to get a iPhone on the first day but friday it went back down.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone Shot Apple's Stock Way up!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone Shot Apple's Stock Way up!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Request to maintain a sound financial investing system...
by shawnlin / July 8, 2007 12:10 AM PDT

EULA/DISCLAIMER: Shalin Mody is not responsible any financial loss the reader of this post may incur. Consult a professional before investing.

DO NOT INVEST IN HYPE - DOING SO ASSIGNS FALSE VALUE TO THE COMPANY! Remember Enron...it probably won't get that bad, but you do start to travel down that path.

I've been following financial news since I was ~10yrs old (yes, seriously), so I consider myself a knowledgeable investor of the "get the ground truth and put your money where you're mouth is" variety. Unless you're a professional that understands financial markets and assigning value to a company, my personal recommendation is:
a) don't day-trade (currently, China is having big problems with millions of misinformed investors doing day trading just to make a buck...er, yuan)
b) Keep a stock purchase for at least 1 year (1-2 years is considered a "short term" investment, 2-5 years is considered "mid term", 5+ is considered "long term")
c) don't buy into stocks just to make money - put your money where you're mouth is. Aside from increasing your value of your investment, the company may be a bastion of great management, innovation, etc. that you wish to promote.
d) Considers socially responsible mutual funds, if interested.
d) talk to a professional stock broker about some of your investment ideas - I've always talked about potential investment purchases with a professional first...regardless if I took their advice or not, I still got some good insights.
e) even high performing companies can have a HIGH RISK of faltering if a major element is no longer with them - example, Steve Jobs leaves Apple.

I'd been toying with the idea of getting Apple stock over a year ago - I could kick myself for not having gotten it...just like I could do the same for many other stocks, but I haven't. I'm not quite ready to promote the company through my investing. Example: I got the ground truth on some flash memory companies, liked there management, liked their product, invested, waited/monitored for over a year, and sold it had a healthy level higher than what I bought it at.
However, being in a democratic/capitalistic country - for those fanboys/fangirls out there, if there's something you see in the financial numbers and the company itself that is worth investing in, go for it (w/professional guidance). Certainly, buying their products is one way to put your money where your mouth is, but if you'd like to do more, consider responsible investing.

More info on investing:
http://www.fool.com/
http://www.marketplace.org/
http://www.morningstar.com/

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
AAPL is responsible investing. IMO

I am a very happy AAPL investor. I bought at $18 right before the G5's were released and I've been sitting on it since. In the meantime it went up to ~$100, split, and is now at $132. Happy

Thing is, I rely on Apple products for my work, as I know they are the best. So it's nothing about the hype for me. I've watched the stock price go way up and way down over the past 3 years, but I don't react to daily news by selling. That confidence in the company has paid off with 10x my initial investment.

Collapse -
good to hear that; bashing..
by shawnlin / July 8, 2007 12:59 AM PDT

I was warning agains irresponsible investing practices, not AAPL. Just to clarrify. i don't think a stock can be responsible/irresponsible investing.

Nice pick-up getting in the teens and holding it.

Collapse -
(NT) awk - 'warning against', not 'bashing'. my bad.
by shawnlin / July 8, 2007 3:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Im lovin the apple stock
by Alegoo92 / July 8, 2007 12:57 PM PDT

Bought it in the 80's.. it's lookin' better + better.

Alex

Collapse -
DEFINITELY (probably) DO NOT BUY AAPL
by thriftyT / July 8, 2007 3:52 AM PDT

Like Shalin, I am not bashing. I in fact bought shares of AAPL while it was in the $70 and $80 range noting Apple's strong potential for growth.

The growth was fulfilled. They rose from a middling-sized Fortune 500 company to an elite S&P 100 titan in a period of about 5 years. While Molly ranted about the iTunes "monopoly", it was in fact a legal, solid business model that delivered revenue growth and profit growth in a model that insulated themselves from profit-eroding competition.

Right now the shares are either fully-valued or over-valued. Apple is still poised for growth, but the prospects are riskier ? the cell phone space / home media center spaces are more competitive and more uncertain, respectively than the good old days when Apple unleashed the iPod into a virtual vacuum.

In short, Apple has more potential downside and less potential upside right now than it did in 2004 or 2005. Buy AAPL at your own risk.

I personally would rate AAPL a 'hold'

Collapse -
yeah...plus - competition...
by shawnlin / July 8, 2007 4:20 AM PDT

Apple invented the iPod...they didn't invent the cell phone.

They have considerable competition from the behemoths of Motorola and Nokia. yeah, there's much more potential for a quarter or two long dip.

Apple may have considerably upped the standard of what a cell phone is, but there's more than just their shiny new cell phone they'll have to keep goin' on to keep their stock going up...

--Shalin

Collapse -
Apple stock hasn't really "dropped"
by thriftyT / November 15, 2007 10:42 AM PST

Molly and J were talking about Apple's stock price "drop" from a high around 190 in October to its current price of 160 now.

Just keep in mind that Apple stock was trading around $85 as recently as January 2007. In other words, despite the recent volatility, Apple's stock is twice as expensive as it was only 10-11 months ago. Hardly a bargain IMO.

Also keep in mind Apple's high P/E ratio of 40+. Long story short, Apple's current valuation already assumes continued stupendous business growth. Stupendous growth is possible, but far from a guarantee.

Assuming continued iPhone development, that business should see continued awesome growth. But keep in mind that Apple's iPod business is poised to fall off of a cliff. With the rapid adoption of smart phones (including the iPhone) by average consumers, the iPod (and Zune for that matter) will not see any sales growth in 2008 and most likely will see year-over-year DECLINES in sales.

AAPL buyers be wary.

Collapse -
AAPL 119.46 as of 2/22/08
by thriftyT / February 23, 2008 6:31 AM PST

Be careful out there. People who bought AAPL stock immediately after the iPhone hubub are taking a bath right now...

Collapse -
Or those that bought it at $160
by paintguru / February 23, 2008 8:57 AM PST

OOOOPPPSSS! My bad.

Collapse -
Nonsense
by Nicholas Buenk / November 16, 2007 12:06 PM PST

The mac's are doing very well. Apple has plenty of potential to become a major cell phone provider, iPhone has done extremely well, and it's only version 1.
Now is the time to invest as tech stocks in general have slumped a bit.

Collapse -
Irrelivant...
by paintguru / November 16, 2007 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: Nonsense

They may be a hot company, but if they are overvalued, they are overvalued, regardless of their future potential. However, there is no accounting for the human factor of "Oooo, I gotta own that"....which seems to apply not only to Apple products, but also Apple stock.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!