iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

Iphone or return.

by rayh78 / October 11, 2013 12:09 AM PDT

Ok, I am an older guy just finally switching over to an I phone 5.

But as a phone I still think the flip phones were better. Am I the only one or missing something.
I have a desktop and laptop PC and the most important thing I want the IPHONE for is as a phone.
I don't get that many phone calls a day and don't take the time to keep turning it on to see if I have a new message.
A lot of times it's on my desk or in my car. If I step away from my desk or leave the car for a minute I can get a call. Do I really have to keep turning it on just to check for messages.

I was much more productive with a flip phone. The SANYO katana would light up occasionally if I had a message.
I could see the phone blinking from across the room.
Other flip phones I could just look at the small display on the front cover and see if I missed a call.
So I could just look at a phone without turning it on or even picking it up. So found I returned calls much quicker.

A lot of days I may only get one call the whole day. And don't carry my phone around in my pocket or have it in the same room with me. And will not check the ipone every time I leave the room.

Am I missing something or am I just the type of person better off with a flip phone. So return the I phone.
Would not have been hard for them to add a little light that flashes when you have a message on the I phone.

Thanks for any suggestions

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Iphone or return.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Iphone or return.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I partially disagree
by Pepe7 / October 11, 2013 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Iphone or return.

Perhaps YOU were more productive on the old flips, but I can now quickly access from a massive list of personal and business contacts on my iPhone. Not as easy on the old flips, although when I used to bike more, I dropped the old Nokias/etc. and they could withstand a heck of a beating. And then there's the whole issue that I can quickly read a string of email and avoid having to pop back to a laptop or desktop. This is mostly about what you need in a device, clearly.

You do realize the iPhone has notifications you can employ to alert you to calls(?) I do fine with the audible alerts, but I accept that others may not prefer that. And even better, you could simply set it up to forward your calls when you know you won't be (physically) near your iPhone and do not want to miss a call.

This is mostly a discussion of user preferences/habits. It has been done ad nauseum...

Collapse -
Answer
regarding your iPhone dilemma
by Rivergull / October 11, 2013 11:07 AM PDT

Rayh78 ... I'm an older woman! and I haven't yet sprung for an iPhone ... for many of the same reasons you list above. I use a T-Mobile flip-phone (has a camera I never use)... I buy minutes as I need them (I keep it in my car generally, or in my handbag). I also have a land line with 4 handsets placed in various parts of the house. This setup works for me!! I don't make very many calls, and when I do, I love my land line's unlimited minutes for about $50/mo...and no restrictive smartphone contract. I've considered buying an iPhone (they're so cool looking), but if you do not need to access the internet while out and about, or need to know where the closest pizza place is, or how to get from A to Z on a map, etc. etc., you're probably just fine with a flip phone. It's all about simplicity in my book.

Collapse -
Answer
flip phone is ok
by Rivergull / October 11, 2013 4:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Sony W710i
by navneetgaur / October 12, 2013 1:38 AM PDT

Hi.

1. I purchased a Sony W710i somewhere around 2002
2. I have changed its body once, so it is in a reasonably good shape.
3. The point is - I wish that iPhone was in a flip form factor !
4. In the end it is a personal choice, I find flip phone to be very convenient to hold and in a way stylish - the way you open it Happy
5. And yes, I have indeed dropped it a lot of times - the reason I needed to change the body.
6. Lastly, I also believe that a phone should be a device for my convenience, at my convenience.

Take care,
Navneet.

Collapse -
Answer
The best maybe not the right
by Davidwill1987 / October 20, 2013 11:56 AM PDT

As long as the iPhone is the best phone in my opinion, but it wasn't a perfect phone for everyone, you know, everyone's needs are different, so just choose the right one for yourself.

Collapse -
Answer
You should have kept it..
by Pepe7 / October 21, 2013 5:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
It just depends.
by qumind / November 10, 2013 8:59 AM PST

For some I know it just takes time before you fall in love with iPhones. Stick it out for awhile and see if it grows on you. When you are use to something that you have used for years it's hard switching over to a new system. If you have the time, play with it. Find a few apps that interest you and work them in to your everyday routine. They have work out trackers, daily news, games etc.

In regards to the phone flashing for alerts, check out this thread. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5340182 It tells you how to make the cam flash blink when you get alerts.

Best of luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?