The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Iphone- Great phone!! / Sucky iPod

by rdriskell / July 2, 2007 10:43 PM PDT

Hello buzz town..

Yet another iphone review. Now i know you are sick of them but I got mine last night and had a "did you notice?" moment after setting it up

First the positvie, LOVE the phone. Love the way it works exacly like it does in the Apple Iphone ads. I am thinking especially of Calamari. Google maps is my favorite feature. Safari works better then any other browser on a phone(i used to have a sidekick, which i already thought was the "real internet" on my phone). Safari would pull up most pages even the sidekick would not.

So My two MAJOR complaints.

1. You CANNOT "drag and drop" indvidual songs or playlists onto iphone in itunes. I can do this with my 5g ipod and its really ticking me off!!! I know you can make playlists and sync them but it just seems like a hassle if i only want to put one or two songs on and "Syncing" feels like it takes forever.

2. The resessed headphone jack. I use my ipod in my car mainly with a basic audio cable going out of the car stereo aux jack in the front. I can not use my iphone the same way. Grrrr!!!! I guess i will have to get the headphone adapter but that sucks because my ipod does it just fine.

3. My wife (who is awesome and let her husband get iphones for the family) became very frustrated at the lack of sync from google cal and google contacts to iphone. I set her gmail up of course but she wants a way to sync iphone to an online calendar app.

4.Works beautifully with Apple Mac- Synced Address book , ical and safari without a hitch. My wife's comptuer (windows Vista) we have to reboot the system to get itunes to re see the iphone if she does not eject it. ***!

Anyway Just my 2 cents,

Please let me know if i am missing anything here or you have had simular issues with the "ipod" portion of the phone

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Iphone- Great phone!! / Sucky iPod
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Iphone- Great phone!! / Sucky iPod
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you saying...
by Nicholas Buenk / July 3, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

Disk mode on the iphone doesn't work, you're forced to use syncing?
That's crazy. Size of the music library I have makes it's impractical to use syncing unless I want to full up half my laptops hard drive.
On on the other hand, with only 8GB.... Well lack of capacity is another reason I'd add to way it might make a bad ipod.

Collapse -
Some say the opposite
by nutjob / July 3, 2007 4:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
thanks
by rdriskell / July 3, 2007 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Some say the opposite

also found that outlook supports online calendars
sows will use that to sync with

thanks for the feedback

Collapse -
Hold on, I want to make sure I understand this
by Vance14 / July 3, 2007 6:33 AM PDT

I don't think I use iTunes in the normal way. I have a couple hundred gigs in my music library, so the idea of syncing is out of the question. So, I always just drag and drop albums into the iPod (mostly audiobooks in mp3 format). I then take it off as I listen to the book.

Would I not be able to do this at all with the iPhone? How would I get a given album onto the iPhone then? Would I have to create a playlist of stuff I want on my iPod and then add and subtract stuff on that?

Collapse -
no manual drag and drop in itunes
by rdriskell / July 3, 2007 6:40 AM PDT

Yes pretty much.

You HAVE to create a playlist of content then sync it. You can not manually drag each song or playlist and drop it on the iphone like you can with an iPod. Very annoying. Apple needs to fix this. Also you can only have one itunes library synced at a time. Say I have a few songs i ripped off cd in the office and a few home. If I sync it to my home when i go and sync it at the office with a new office songs playlist i created it warns me that only one computer can be synced at a time and that syncing in the office will erase what i have on the device(songs from home)

Arggh.... I have a mac at work and home and i want to put songs or podcasts or playlists from both machines on my iphone. I can with my 5G ipod so what gives!!! This aint the freakin RoKR!!!

Sorry for the rant. This is a BIG BIG setback to the coolness of the ipod in the iphone.

APPLE FIX IT !!!!!

Collapse -
on apple's support forums
by rdriskell / July 3, 2007 6:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
sucky both things
by jarturof / July 3, 2007 8:46 AM PDT

sucky both, it is not a real smartphone, is a dumb phone with some xtras, and a lousy ipod, extremly expensive for doing two things badly.

Collapse -
What is the "not smart" part?
by Vance14 / July 3, 2007 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: sucky both things

It seems to have all the important features of a Treo (the only one I am familiar with), but with a better mp3 player built in, and a better interface. What am I missing?

Collapse -
The smart...
by jarturof / July 3, 2007 2:29 PM PDT

It is not posible to install apps, the crap about "safari" apps is just useless, since first of all you need to be connected all the time to use this "so called" apps, I bet apple is not going to pay my data, also when on flights, how am I going to use the apps, on planes I'm not suppose to use the Wifi neither the cellphone network.

The things you can do with your iPhone are the same thing you can do with almost any phone right now, there is nothing new, the email stuff is not push mail like blackberry.

You can not add any more memory, If 8gb is not enough for me, well at least give the chance to add some more memory using SD cards or any other.

No 3G, No document viewer, there is no way I can read a word documetn, or a spreadsheet or a pdf, and online apps only work, on line.

By the way there are tons of smartphones in the market.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?