Speakeasy forum

General discussion

iPhone, another public health problem.

http://munews.missouri.edu/news-releases/2015/0108-iphone-separation-linked-to-physiological-anxiety-poor-cognitive-performance-mu-study-finds/

"Our findings suggest that iPhone separation can negatively impact performance on mental tasks," Russell Clayton, a doctoral candidate at the MU School of Journalism and lead author of the study, said. "Additionally, the results from our study suggest that iPhones are capable of becoming an extension of our selves such that when separated, we experience a lessening of 'self' and a negative physiological state."
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone, another public health problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone, another public health problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I must be

In reply to: iPhone, another public health problem.

in a very poor psychologically anxious state then. I don't possess an iPhone nor any other smart phone.

Mark

Collapse -
I've hear of anxiety in pets

when they're separated from their masters but that seems normal to me. I'm not an iPhone or even a smart phone owner so I can't show true empathy for someone who's lost or misplaced their dear little hand held. Hopefully someone will come up with an app that will facilitate re-bonding time once the device is found.

Collapse -
maybe it's a social crutch for them.

Sounds like the way conservatives feel about concealed carry.

Conservatives carry guns, Liberals carry iPhones, maybe if we regulate the one, we should regulate the other to the same degree?

Collapse -
That raises an interesting thought

In reply to: maybe it's a social crutch for them.

If, as you surmise, Conservatives carry guns, and Liberals carry iPhones, are Conservatives statistically safer than all those non-gun carrying Liberals?

Put it another way, statistically, are more Liberals attacked by perpetrators carrying guns than Conservatives attacked by perpetrators carrying guns?

That would be an enormous publicity hit for the gun lobby.

Mark

Collapse -
that's an interesting thought

In reply to: That raises an interesting thought

I do know those with iPhones have been attacked at a higher rate in order to steal the phone from them. A number of news stories in the past couple years about it. Don't know if anyone's been shot for their iPhone, but wouldn't be surprised. Most I think are snatch and run, some may involve violence other than guns.

Collapse -
So, no statistics

In reply to: that's an interesting thought

on whether Conservatives are safer than all those non-gun carrying Liberals then.

Mark

Collapse -
we'd need more

In reply to: So, no statistics

added to the concealed carry side in all 50 states to make such a determination. Liberals don't like such equalities.

Collapse -
So what you are saying

In reply to: we'd need more

is that you have no statistics to support your claim that Conservatives are safer than all those non-gun carrying Liberals.

Mark

Collapse -
With headlines like these

In reply to: So what you are saying

you only need the one side of the story, LOL.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/stolen-smartphones_n_2863863.html

"A California couple were arraigned Tuesday on charges they collected hundreds of stolen smartphones from across the nation, then sold them in Hong Kong for as much as $2,000 each.

Shou Lin Wen, 39, and his wife, Yuting Tan, 27, made nearly $4 million from the scheme in just eight months, the state attorney general said."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/27/apple-thefts-in-new-york-city-crime_n_1920192.html

"Apple thefts have skyrocketed 40 percent from last year.
The New York Post originally estimated Apple crime had jumped 55 percent, but the statistics are still alarming as one in seven crimes in New York City now involve Apple products.
The statistic greatly outpaces overall New York City crime, which only rose four percent."

"Apple Picking"

"Prosecutors charged Davis and an alleged accomplice, Alejandro
Campos, with murder. They have pleaded not guilty and are awaiting
trial in jail on Rikers Island.Nearly a year after Yang's death, a
cloud of grief still hangs over his family. His father sleeps in his
son's bed. His mother prayed at the scene of the shooting every day for
four weeks until her husband asked her to stop. "It will only cause you
heartbreak," he told her. Hyun Sup Yang attributed her son's death to the insatiable demand for the world's most popular phone. "If my son never had an iPhone," she said in an interview, "he would be alive now."Yang's
murder stands as a chilling example of a modern-day crime wave sweeping
the country, sometimes with deadly consequences. From New York to San
Francisco to Washington, D.C., police have reported a surge in thefts of
smartphones and tablet computers -- iPhones and iPads in particular.
The spike in robberies has grown so pronounced that police have coined a
term for such crimes: Apple picking."

Crime Explodes Over iPhones

"Cell phone theft in San Francisco has become such a major problem that police officers have attempted to set up sting operations to arrest buyers of potentially stolen phones. Doing so, SFPD argues, would target the source of the problem. Without buyers, thieves would have no market to sell to.Map of violent cell phone thefts in San FranciscoMap of violent cell phone thefts in San Francisco "In just over half the incidents, victims were punched, kicked, or otherwise physically intimidated for their phones, and in a quarter of robberies, users were threatened with guns or knives," reports Infoworld. AdvertisementThis accounted for 41 percent of the serious crimes in the city. In Washington, DC, theft of phones accounted for 40 percent of robberies while in New York, the number is over half."

THE EVIDENCE IS OVERWHELMING, REJECT IT AT YOUR OWN PERIL, IF USING iPHONE.

What we need are police with bullet proof vests on, walking in civilian dress, wearing the tell all ear buds, and when someone comes up to them with a gun or knife, just blast about half the clip into them before they realize what's happening. Now THAT will bring an end to it!!! Not only will it be a deterrent, but send another low life to God for his own personal judgement day. Like the good book says, "Put the evil from among you".

Collapse -
Do you think a mugger

In reply to: That raises an interesting thought

can look at a potential victim and know their politics?...and thus determine whether an attack is safe or not?

Collapse -
I think

In reply to: Do you think a mugger

you should ask James that. He's the one who tells us that "Conservatives carry guns, Liberals carry iPhones".

I wonder the reason for that. Is it beneficial for Conservatives to carry guns, instead of iPhones? Why?

As to your own question, I have no idea. But then that is not what I was asking, and again, it was James who raised this interesting fact.

Mark

Collapse -
I'm glad you asked

In reply to: I think

Yes, some display who they are by how they dress. Ever hear the expression, "the clothes make the man"? Can you recognize a military person by how he dresses? Can you recognize a police officer by how he dresses? Can you recognize a hippy by how he dresses? Can you recognize a "lady of the evening" by how she dresses and acts? Yes, you can tell a lot about a person by how he dresses, the shoes he wears, the slogans he likes on his clothes, and so forth. Is it an exact science? No, but then neither are criminals; scientists.

Collapse -
Are you answering

In reply to: I'm glad you asked

the question Steven asked?

Thank you. I didn't know.

Mark

Collapse -
But that doesn't necessarily reveal their politics

I'd admit there are some subtleties that might give one a better than 50-50 chance of being correct but I doubt many can approach 90% or more when sampling the general population.

Collapse -
RE: Can you recognize a police officer by how he dresses?

YES....If/when he is wearing a police uniform.

If he is wearing civilian clothing and carrying a doughnut I would think he could be a police officer.

Collapse -
Ah, yes...except for one thing...

In reply to: RE: Can you recognize a police officer by how he dresses?

His haircut could partially give him away or at least narrow one's choices. He may also be required to carry his gun while off duty so would need the proper clothing to conceal it. Of course your doughnut joke just might be reason for you to dress as inconspicuously as possible for a while.

Collapse -
RE: He may also be required to carry his gun

In reply to: Ah, yes...except for one thing...

That would indicate he was a conservative...not necessarily a policeman.

Collapse -
????

In reply to: RE: He may also be required to carry his gun

Anyone, other than a police officer, carrying a weapon is "a conservative"? I wasn't and am not addressing political leanings. I'd suspect gun toting to not necessarily be a factor in how one votes. From what I understand, the two parties here in the US aren't diametrically opposed to gun ownership.

Collapse -
RE: Anyone carrying a weapon is "a conservative"?

In reply to: ????

Collapse -
Well then

In reply to: RE: Anyone carrying a weapon is "a conservative"?

You're addressing one person's comments. I'm addressing a broader topic. That makes this a useless discussion so count me out of it.

Collapse -
(NT) that doesn't negate others doing it

In reply to: RE: Anyone carrying a weapon is "a conservative"?

Collapse -
Does it mean ALL conservatives carry guns?

In reply to: that doesn't negate others doing it

See where I'm going?

Now that you've admitted that people that aren't conservatives carry guns.

Collapse -
Yo...James

Collapse -
Skynet is here

Maybe not skynet but iNet is more like it. I'm sure in the future some nanobots will be implanted to start building an int. iLink for new born. Quite honestly, its just the "norm" now for anyone young. I personally can live w.o it because I can, really. However, though at a low form, still need a cellphone for business and then personal reasons. I wanted to be unplugged long ago during the days of beepers and such. Is it for the better, well do you feel better? About the long thing I can really like about anything cell phony is having it for emergencies, now how many have you had? -----WIlly Happy

Collapse -
Personally only a dozen or so.

In reply to: Skynet is here

But my world is handheld apps that I've written since the 90's and before that embedded systems, automatic test systems and the move from custom systems to smart phones means that I get to use a lot of different models. Not as many as a reviewer may see but at least enough to become agnostic.
Bob

Collapse -
Saw on TV

In reply to: Personally only a dozen or so.

The latest top level new drone in prototype. Basically and more what they did was remove some smartphone video/cam guts and then multiply it and install in flying drone. Thus, it's able to multi-view the world below. In effect you see overlapping screen where the viewer can the pick one and zoom or find details they want to expand upon. Why, because current drones are like a limited tunnel view and trying to decide on a go/no go kill mode hangs in the balance. That's a good thing right, not wasting citizens that have nothing to do or person being focused on.

Of course, the more you have to meddle into anything that requires smartphones or similar the more likely you'll be using some aspect of that. Geeezz, all those poor people using "Candy Crush" and all the other TV commercials for apps just so you can try it out. Why, because they hook you and then feed the monster as you beyond a some period. Who saw that coming??? -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.