The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

iPhone and Mobile Me revolution

Driving home today listening to the latest BOL it struck me, the holy light came over me and i saw the bigger picture about the newly rumored 'Mobile Me' service from Apple.

The absolute need for a computer is by far the biggest flaw the iPhone currently has, you don't have to be a computer scientist to use it but you damn well need a computer. The Blackberry is still outpacing the iPhone because it can be used as a standalone device, in India and China this is also a problem as they generally don't have the (private) space big or safe enough for a PC.

The iPhone can become a standalone device
- this will more than double the potential costumer base
- online activation and updates, no need for a computer
- phone billing plan used to pay for iTunes content
- online storage for pictures and movies taken with the iPhone, private or public
- mini site/blog specially tailored to update with the iPhone
- online synching and backup for iTunes music, physically stored on the servers or a re-download from iTunes
- revenue sharing in the phone plan will pay for the 'mobile me' service
- the need for a lock-in with AT&T and others looks logical and justified now

.Mac seems like a failure at the moment but it can revolutionize the mobile world in a big way. Thats my take on it, this has to happen sooner or later i think.

Now hope Steve also brings us a mini tablet to play with. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone and Mobile Me revolution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone and Mobile Me revolution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.