iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

iPhone 4s owners shut out of iOS 8.0.2 update w/o word!

After downloading the latest update: iOS 8.0.2 on my Pads and on my wife's iPhone 5, I tried to install it on my iPhone 4s, it would not do it. I called Apple and after 8-10 minutes of waiting and being placed on hold, I was very blithely told that this update was not made available for my 4s. Would not an announcement by those great Apple geniuses about this fact, be very helpful. It sounds like a bad case of nobody at Apple giving a damn!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone 4s owners shut out of iOS 8.0.2 update w/o word!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone 4s owners shut out of iOS 8.0.2 update w/o word!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
"I want it now."?

In reply to: iPhone 4s owners shut out of iOS 8.0.2 update w/o word!

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-prepare-your-iphone-or-ipad-for-ios-8/

It appears the 4s is the only 4 on the list for iOS 8.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-install-ios-8-0-2-bug-fix-update-your-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-1467261

If I were to bet, there isn't enough free space to update. Here's an article about that.
" users are required to have nearly 6GB of free space on their devices in order to actually download and install the update. "

Looking around it appears you may be the second one to report this. I care, but I'm not there to see what's up.
Bob
Collapse -
Answer
This is no different than.....

....when Microsoft stops supporting an older version of Windows when a new version is released. Instead of trying to support older, outdated hardware with constant updates they will strongly encourage users to upgrade their device (computer). Nothing personal, just business.

Collapse -
Answer
I'm only going to say this once

Collapse -
It may have fixed yours, BUT

In reply to: I'm only going to say this once

It doesn't do a damn thing for mine, Doesn't work if it won't connect to the App store

Collapse -
That's the first clue I read so far.

In reply to: It may have fixed yours, BUT

Is there some issue with your phone and the App Store? I did find a person that didn't want to sign up for the Apple App Store and they were close to imploding trying to get the iPhone to do everything it should.
Bob

Collapse -
Not that I'm aware of

In reply to: That's the first clue I read so far.

Have used the App Store since phone was brand new, to always keep everything up to date. Never had any problems downloading anything till now.

Not sure what Pepe7 is talking about, my original post is stating his link as a solution for the 4S does NOT work for everyone. I've tried several times, seems like something in 8.0.1 is keeping the phone from connecting to download 8.0.2

I usually don't have any trouble with fixing things and if I do I come here and someone usually has useful information, which his post with a link is not.

I agree with the OP that Apple should be announcing this all over if 8.0.2 is not available for the 4S, however I can find very little if any info specifically addressing this issue.

Collapse -
Correct, it does not work for everyone.

In reply to: Not that I'm aware of

The free space issue alone wipes out many owners.

Collapse -
The unacceptable answer?

Just to get it out there, there was a few units that I had to do a full factory reset to clear off whatever was on the phone then let it update or get it updated. I'm sure there can be failed hardware out there but the full factory reset is not acceptable to some folk as they live on their phones. Most don't know how to back and restore. (I don't write much about that since there are tutorials on the web.)

There's also the take it to the Apple Store and tell them to update it for you answer. Again, I'm putting the usual unacceptable answers that tend to upset folk in this thread because it tends to really agitate folk.
Bob

Collapse -
Stop trying to do it via OTA

Use iTunes on your PC to connect to the App Store and update your 4S. I followed my own advice and did two today personally. Keyboard was sluggish after the update, but after powering off/power cycling the devices and running through some of the settings it seemed to stabilize. Not sure about battery life either, but both phones are no longer in my possession (belong to coworkers' family members).

Collapse -
Again, this is a common sense issue

In reply to: It may have fixed yours, BUT

Why wouldn't you include this additional info in your first post above(?) Not sure how you solve your problems, but if this is how, you must get stuck quite a lot.

Hit another Apple Store, not the first one a second time. You simply had a rookie helping you. **** happens. Give them all the pertinent info, including what you just added about not being able to connect to the App store on your 4S. Point them to the various articles on Apple's own discussion support site online about this issue (you can google this too).

You're welcome.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.