HolidayBuyer's Guide

iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

iphone 4 or wait for iphone 5?

by samisgray / August 10, 2011 2:24 PM PDT

i'm thinking of buying the iPhone 4... it's about time i got a new phone and I'm pretty excited. All my friends say that it's so comfortable and it's got everything you could need. But I've heard the iPhone 5 is coming out soon... should I wait for it to come out or just get iPhone 4? What changes are they making to iPhone 5??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iphone 4 or wait for iphone 5?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iphone 4 or wait for iphone 5?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you can wait, then do so,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 9:54 PM PDT

if you can't, then go for the iPhone 4

Collapse -
Features in Iphone 5
by just_wild / August 11, 2011 2:52 AM PDT

Haven't u heard about the release of iPhone 5 in the chineese market....wondering if it's fake or not??? Indeed it's fake and named as Hiphone 5 to prevent copyright violation. Moreover, apple has concluded that there no such features officially announced for Iphone 5, and yet the china one made it. Amazing!!!

Collapse -
The Chinese knockoff is NOT an Apple iPhone
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 11, 2011 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Features in Iphone 5

it is just a knockoff pretending to be one.

P

Collapse -
Answer
Wait
by Reign17 / August 12, 2011 1:36 PM PDT

I would wait, because it is said to come out sometime in september, idk about u but i would be pretty bummed if i bought the 4 then the 5 came out a month later

Collapse -
Wait for iphone 5
by AmberMoreau / August 19, 2011 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait

I experience it now. I've heard iphone 5 coming out in this Sept right after i got iphone 4. So, my advice is waittttttttttt
(bit.ly/AmbersAcesAndJacks)

Collapse -
Answer
iphone 5
by arvinau79 / August 13, 2011 1:57 AM PDT

wait for the iphone 5,rumors say that is coming out at 9 of September.
the changes are bigger screen,4G and faster processor that means faster graphics.I think they are going to put the A5 chip, its a dual core processor.

Collapse -
How do you know all this stuff?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 13, 2011 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: iphone 5

or are you guessing?

Collapse -
Look at cnets rumors
by Reign17 / August 13, 2011 7:29 AM PDT

Go look at all the stuff cnet says about it, they have all the rumors about what people are saying about it

Collapse -
Yep, like I said,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 13, 2011 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at cnets rumors

Guessing!

Collapse -
im an apple fan
by arvinau79 / August 13, 2011 9:53 PM PDT

i see many websites about apple products every day

Collapse -
As an "Apple Fan" you must know
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 14, 2011 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: im an apple fan

that the only people who know what any new Apple product will be, when it will be released, how it will be configured and all that other neat stuff, is Apple.

Collapse -
What I notice is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2011 2:19 AM PDT

That the moment the new model arrives the questions start about when the next model is coming out and the poor soul frets about the next model even when the unit was just released.

I'm unsure how to help those folk except to suggest they don't buy until they can't resist it THEN stop looking for a new model for at least a year.
Bob

Collapse -
As blinded as you are by your Apple infatuation. . .
by gbanchini / August 15, 2011 5:09 AM PDT

There is nothing mystical or magical about the world of Apple and the products it releases worldwide. They do not come out one person's head and do not pop up overnight under Steve Jobs' desk. When you say, "that the only people who know what any new Apple product will be, when
it will be released, how it will be configured and all that other neat
stuff, is Apple" you forget that Apple is not just one individual. There are hundreds of people and many sub-suppliers involved. They may all have to sworn secrecy, but ultimately if it is hard for one person to keep a secret, it is impossible to do so when you have to discuss subcontracts with specific vendors months ahead of time. That's how rumors about the size of the screen or which processor will be installed start going around. They are NOT all guesses and it's NOT a matter of luck. . .are you really that naive?!

Collapse -
Really ??
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 5:56 AM PDT

As per mrmacfixit's comment, what caused your rant ??

The prior comment you responded to seemed pretty non-confrontational. You come across as knowing something that nobody else does about the next iPhone. Everything said about it until it's pending release is only speculation at this point.

If I predict that the next iPhone will have iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile installed, what makes my prediction any more or less credible than yours?

I personally could care less what phone Apple releases next and I can live with that.

Collapse -
(NT) We'll see
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 5:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
No 4g
by Reign17 / August 13, 2011 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: iphone 5

Actually, most rumors say that it wont have 4g, but it will have the a5 in it

Collapse -
Answer
iPhone 5 Launch Expected on October 7
by Coryphaeus / August 17, 2011 12:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Wait for iPhone 5
by PaulieDC / August 17, 2011 7:36 AM PDT

It's just like Vista... it rolled out with issues and everyone got on the gripe wagon. Eventually the thing was ironed out (Vista SP2 actually works well, but nobody cares). iPhone 4 is fine now although they are still patching iOS to increase performance. iPhone 5 will have gone through the most rigorous testing so Apple can make sure that it will be a smashing success, I can guarantee you that. Look at Windows 7: Microsoft fixed the Vista issues, made it look and feel way better and tested it until they were ready to pass out. And it's a great OS now. So will iPhone 5 be great. Seven more weeks and worth the wait.

Collapse -
I'm worried that the iPhone 6 may be better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2011 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait for iPhone 5

Should I wait till I find out more about the iPhone 6?

Collapse -
(NT) I have some rumors for that one!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 17, 2011 9:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Are they from people who know?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2011 9:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
I am still waiting....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 17, 2011 9:42 AM PDT

...for the 6 processor version with hyperdrive (no wimpy SSD storage) and the foldable 24 inch 1080 HDTV display.

Collapse -
Answer
If you want to
by chu_nicholas / October 1, 2011 9:07 AM PDT

if you like talking photos you should probably go with the iphone 5 cause it probably has a better camera when it comes out but if your tight on budget then the iphone 4

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.