iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

iPad copy & paste

by volvogirl / July 11, 2012 9:08 AM PDT

Anyone know how to copy & paste? I was on a website and there was a pop up help box that said Print this Help. I don't have a printer on my iPad so I thought I could copy it and paste it into something and then email it to my desktop to print it. Well it let me highlight it and copy. But where did it copy it to? I opened pages and tried paste but that only pasted a copy of one of my pictures.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPad copy & paste
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPad copy & paste
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It copied it to the clip board
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 20, 2012 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: iPad copy & paste

now you need an app that is capable of taking text.
If you have Pages installed, you should be able to Paste the contents of the clipboard into a Pages document.

If you do not have Pages installed, then the Notes app, (already on your iPad) will suffice.

Open Safari, go to the page you want to copy from.
Select the text and choose copy.
Open Notes
Tap the place you want to paste to. The Paste option should appear.
Tap it and you are done.

I tried this with the Notes app just now and found that it would work on the second attempt. Safari open, select and copy text, Double click the Home button, choose Notes from the list that appears, select the paste point in Notes, Paste.

Let us know if that worked for you

P

Collapse -
No it didn't work for me
by volvogirl / July 22, 2012 2:30 AM PDT

I have pages. I tried pasting to pages, notes, anywhere. This is on an iPad2. When I did the paste it pasted one of my pictures and not the text I thought I had copied. I looked in google and think I saw an answer that said you can't copy & paste from the internet on iPad?

Collapse -
and that answer is incorrect.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 22, 2012 3:41 AM PDT

I copied and pasted a selection from a web site using the method I described above, using an iPad2

Just to prove to myself that it was not a fluke, I just did it again.

Copies just fine into Notes, I don't have pages, but I can only assume that you did not actually copy from the web page if the result you got when you pasted, was a picture.

Without teaching you how to suck eggs, make sure that the text is outlined and that there is a Blue dot in the middle of all four edges and that the word Copy is visible. It is usually at the top of the selection.
I have found that a Touch, not a Tap, works well.

Keep trying, it IS possible

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.