Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

IP Config Relase, lost wireless connection

I have another post before this on this subject, so far, it's got me nowhere. I'll make this a shorter, more direct question:

Scenario: Lost my wireless internet connectivity on new laptop running downgraded from Vista to Windows XP Home SP3. Had it a week ago, worked great. Local line works fine, I plug in Comcast cable and have internet. Wireless "sees" my network, even says it is conected when I log in, but still get a message saying it is disconnected.

I noticed that when trying to connect to network, that a message would pop up in networking window telling me I had no IP address. I'm a novice here, but shouldn't I have one?

I did a Ipconfig/release and Ipconfig renew, and it tells me no operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected. What could this mean??

I have tried switching wireless on/off, enable and disable.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IP Config Relase, lost wireless connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IP Config Relase, lost wireless connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"I plug in Comcast cable and have internet. Wireless "sees"

In reply to: IP Config Relase, lost wireless connection

"I plug in Comcast cable and have internet. Wireless "sees" my network, even says it is conected when I log in, but still get a message saying it is disconnected."

Let me be very blunt here. You can't be plugged in and have WIFI work. I'm going to decline writing why this is so.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: "I plug in Comcast cable and have internet. Wireless "sees"

For declining to write more. Actually, you can decline a little more so. Pomposity is boring, and wastes my time. If you can't be a little less pretentious in your replies, then find some other newb to pick on.

Collapse -
Here's hoping...

In reply to: Thank you

You understand why things work this way. I had hoped by pointing out that its not supposed to work would be sufficient.

What happened to the days when you would take a class or research a little on your own? Or more to my defense, do you expect unpaid contributors to write how this works everytime someone does what you did?

Hopefully you saw the error that you created and moved forward from there.
Bob

Collapse -
With all due respect...

In reply to: Here's hoping...

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I did not intend to plug my cable in and expect my wireless to work at the same time. I did this to make sure I could get any cable at all.

As for research, I've been doing it for a week. I am running in circles. I came here for help. I am a design geek, not a techie geek, and wireless is a brand new animal to me. So please try to be patient. I assume that if you are a moderator you have earned it not only because of your expertise but your graceful way of imparting it, no?

Please try to understand that many people don't have the same understanding of these things as you do. If you cannot offer guidance to mere mortals such as I without feeling personally offended by my clumsy attempts, or by insulting me by telling me I don't research my problem, then maybe Cnet should find another moderator.

I too have been an unpaid contributor in my fields of expertise...and I don't talk down to people who ask me things they know little about.

Collapse -
Read your post again.

In reply to: With all due respect...

And it's clear to me you had the cable in and trying to get wifi to work.

-> Since this is just a matter of being unclear it would have been nice that you had corrected me that you didn't do that and we could move on. But here we are with you wasting a few turns.

OK, now that we know you tried it without the ethernet cable we can move forward to other usuals.

1. Look up NETSH RESET on google but add the word XP or Vista as need be. Use Microsoft's procedure to reset the winsock.
2. Tell me about the installed OS. Who installed it.

Remember I want to help you fix this but we do need to be clear about goals. If you want to wrestle with me, then tell me now.
Bob

Collapse -
And yes.

In reply to: Read your post again.

I do see someone installed the XP OS. FULL DETAILS PLEASE. It takes about 10 drivers to get XP working so tell me all the details so I can see which you missed.
Bob

Collapse -
Seems to be a settings problem.

In reply to: IP Config Relase, lost wireless connection

Be sure to configure the wireless connection with the right encryptiontype (like WPA-PSK) and password. Not having that is a typical cause of connection failures and not having gotting an IP-address from the router.
See our forum sticky for details on setting up a wireless network.

If this only happened after you downgraded from Vista to XP (not clear from your post) it's a driver problem. You need to install the right XP driver then.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks Kees

In reply to: Seems to be a settings problem.

I did try that but just in case I will check again. You never know. And I will check out the forum again. After I downgraded from Vista I still had wireless, thanks to the guy who did the downgrading. But I lost it somewhere along the line and I'm trying to pinpoint exactly where.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.