Computer Help forum

General discussion

IP addresses

by bruvensky / March 25, 2009 11:36 AM PDT

Is there a way to look up an IP address and tell where an email originates from?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IP addresses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IP addresses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nope
by Jimmy Greystone / March 25, 2009 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: IP addresses

Nope. You can trace an IP address to a specific ISP or company, but that's about as far as you can go with it without getting assistance from the company/ISP. And IP addresses in email headers can easily be spoofed, so you never know how reliable they are (or aren't).

Collapse -
How do you do this
by bruvensky / March 26, 2009 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

How do you trace an IP address to a specific ISP or company, no matter how accurate it is or not?

Collapse -
Try this
by FrankQC / March 26, 2009 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: How do you do this

ip2location.com

Put in the IP and hope the information is accurate. Chances are the ISP will be accurate.

Collapse -
Not yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2009 1:15 PM PDT

Unless you in is some three or four letter government agency that collects all the data over the internet the answer is no.

Collapse -
Not to a direct physical location.
by FrankQC / March 25, 2009 1:34 PM PDT

Only the ISP knows the exact location of the IP address. That's mainly why the American government can't go and reach exact people for downloading illegal material in Canada.

The American Government wants the Canadian ISPs to give out the exact physical locations so they can send Canadian police authorities to them but the privacy policies state they they (ISP) cannot give out physical locations of their clients.

So as for your question: No.

If you check in the e-mail's sources and find an IP destination you may always track that one to get a general sense of the ISP the person has.

p.s. Even for physical locations... The person might be communicating through a proxy server thus giving you another IP which is completely irrelevant to the person's actual where abouts.

Collapse -
Let me put it this way
by bruvensky / March 26, 2009 3:51 AM PDT

How can I track where an IP address is supposed to come from? Suppose I get an email in which the person says that they are from South Dakota. I want to look up the IP address and see if that is where it is supposed to be from.

Collapse -
As I said
by FrankQC / March 26, 2009 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me put it this way

Even if you track the IP address there's a chance it won't be accurate. Example: I live in the Greater Toronto Area and when I track my IP address it says that I live in Mississauga. I live a good 120km from Mississauga.

The only way you can be absolutely sure where the person lives is if you contact your ISP and they tell you where it comes from (which they're not allowed to).

Collapse -
Ok then
by bruvensky / March 26, 2009 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: As I said

Could you tell me how you tracked your IP address to this other town somewhat near you? Where did you go to do this?

Collapse -
k
by FrankQC / March 26, 2009 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok then
Google Search

It traced it as Mississauga because that's probably where my ISP's serves are for the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) region.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?