Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

ip address tracking message

by ann130 / June 12, 2009 8:29 AM PDT

I did a google search. I got a list of results. I clicked on the first link because it belonged to what looked like a legitimate site. I have Norton 360 and it did not flag it as a dangerous or unknown. Anyway, I clicked the link and it led me to a white page with a warning written at the top that they had my ip address xx.xxx.xxx.xxx and I had been reported to their abuse department and they were tracking me down. I typed in the home page of the company and it is a legitimate one. Now I am wondering what happened and should I be concerned about my computer's security? I reported the link to google. I was going to contact the website and asked them about what happened, but I want google to have time to check out the link first.

If anyone can shed light on this or give me advice on how to handle this I would appreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ip address tracking message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ip address tracking message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ann
by Donna Buenaventura / June 12, 2009 11:17 AM PDT

Is there any file, bar or window that is displayed to you while you are viewing the suspicious site?

>>Now I am wondering what happened and should I be concerned about my computer's security? I reported the link to google. I was going to contact the website and asked them about what happened, but I want google to have time to check out the link first.

If anyone can shed light on this or give me advice on how to handle this I would appreciate it.

Please clean-up your browser so whatever temporary file or cookies that was added while you are viewing the suspect site/link (if any) will be removed.
Scan also using another malware scanner if you want to check if there's malicious files e.g. SUPERAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

What browser do you use? If it's IE or Firefox, you might want to add Web of Trust (WOT) or SiteAdvisor that should flag bad links before you will click on it.
http://www.mywot.com
http://www.siteadvisor.com

Collapse -
Thanks so much!
by ann130 / June 12, 2009 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Ann

I don't remember seeing any file, bar, or window. It was a blank white page except for the warning sentence written at the top.

I have followed your advice about cleaning my browser and downloading the malware software and WOT.

I feel less worried and more secure now. Thanks again.

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome, Ann :)
by Donna Buenaventura / June 13, 2009 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks so much!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!