Computer Help forum

General discussion

ip address mask

by sunagor / May 24, 2007 4:28 AM PDT

Hi everyone,

After reading an article in the paper today i getting paranoid.

Does anyone know if there are any free programs out there that will mask the ip address ......... if not which would you recommend?

Thanks for your help...........Freaking out

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ip address mask
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ip address mask
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you trying to hide YOUR IP address?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: ip address mask

If so, how would a web site get a web page to you?

There are "proxy" servers but that's not going to hide your IP since you still need to tell the proxy where to send the results.

Bob

Collapse -
Can't be done
by jackson dougless / May 24, 2007 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: ip address mask

Bob already presented some of the most basic reasons why.

I'll just add that while it's good you're taking an active interest in computer security... Your average newspaper is hardly a reliable source for a complex technical issue such as computer security. Even tech oriented sites like Cnet, are rarely reliable sources for such information.

I'm sure the author of the article meant well, probably checked a number of facts, but also likely had little more than a layman's understanding of a broad and highly complex subject. As a result, some things were probably misrepresented. There's also the distinct possibility that the article was factually correct, but you misinterpreted something.

So, here are some basic tips to keeping your system problem free for long periods of time.

1: Do not use Internet Explorer, or anything based on Internet Explorer. Replace it with your choice of Mozilla Firefox or Opera
2: Be sure to always apply security updates issued by Microsoft and the makers of any other programs you use. This is the only valid exception to rule #1.
3: Avoid all file sharing, or P2P, programs
4: Avoid all pirated programs
5: Be sure to have a virus scanner installed (AVG Free and Avast are free for home use if you're cheap or poor)
6: Have some sort of firewall running. XP/Vista's built in firewall is good enough, otherwise there are third party products like Zone Alarm which have free versions if you're not running XP/Vista

A few others, which have less to do with security, and more to do with just making life on the Internet a bit more enjoyable

7: Do not use Outlook or Outlook Express for email
8: Do not open ANY attachments in email messages, regardless of who they appear to be from, without scanning them first with a virus scanner. Do not rely on automated scans that are supposed to happen as the message is downloaded. It also never hurts to fire off a quick message asking the person to confirm sending you the attachment
9: Never respond to any spam messages that claim to offer a means to remove you from their mailing list
10: If you get a message claiming to need sensitive information, or offering some sort of too good to be true deal, it's probably some kind of scam
11: Never click on a link in an email message, always copy and paste the link into the web browser manually to avoid specially crafted links designed to trick you
12: Never trust anything sourcing the website grc.com as reliable
13: Create a free account with a service such as Hotmail or Yahoo to use for signing up for website services, so when they spam you with newsletters and paid advertisements, they don't clutter your primary inbox
14: Be very selective about whom you give your real email address to in an effort to reduce the amount of spam you receive. Do not be afraid to set up several accounts like from #13 for different purposes

Others may have additional suggestions... The first 6 are the ones that you should consider mandatory if you are serious about computer security. All the others, 7-14, are optional, but good ideas to follow.

Collapse -
Thank you
by sunagor / May 24, 2007 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't be done

Thank you Bob and Doug for such a comphensive answer.

I did a search "mask ip address"........can you pls explain the proliferation of software on the market?

Newbies can be confused by all this LOL

Sunagor

Collapse -
It's really simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

There is a market for such, even if it doesn't work. So if they could make money from such people they will do so.

Bob

Collapse -
In my limited experience
by Dragon / May 24, 2007 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

I've learned that some programs out there, including programs that are supposed to get rid of malware, virusus, trojans, and etc, are worse than legitimate programs, because they GIVE you malware. Others will make you think your own programs are not as good as they really are by putting something in and taking it out, leading you to believe that you had something nasty all along.

Before you try any programs besides the ones usually recommended here, I'd suggest asking about them here, first.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?