Computer Help forum

General discussion

IP address map locator

by stick joe / March 21, 2009 8:40 AM PDT

Can anyone tell me of any good sites they know of where you can get a map which shows the location of where IP address is at? Free ones please, and I don't want to have to donwload anything.

I used to know of one but can't find it now. I've looked at 5 pages of Google and tried some, but can't find any thatsas close as the one I once had which mapped me to the building next door-- but this is how close it needs to be able to come, or closer if possible.

I want it for this reason : I want to see if weirdos can map me by IP address on any placeon the internet, and that includes if they can come close to it. I also need this to map others, for safety reasons, if I were to get targeted by a scammer but he pretends to be legit and claims to be from downtown Alabama, I could then use this tool to map his IP address and see if he's really from there cause if not, he may be scamming me (again, I'm trying to safe on the internet)- this way, if I use this tool to help determine he's lying, I'd know to avoid this person.

And yes, fyi, I already know about people can choose to use proxys to hide their real IP. But not everyone uses this, so I could still use a good mapping site to locate the location of an IP address.

Thanx ahead for replies.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IP address map locator
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IP address map locator
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry. That's unreliable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: IP address map locator

Research this and you find some New Englander's locked out of the iTunes store because the IP ranges claimed they were in Canada. So forget this and just report the issue to authorities that deal with scams.
Bob

Collapse -
I wonder though..
by stick joe / March 21, 2009 9:20 AM PDT

I wonder if its ALWAYS unreliable.

As I said, I once had one that traced me to the building next door, but I don't know if it would've done this close locating everytime I'd use it since I can't recall.

So...what I wonder is, is there even one out there that can get the location that close everytime you use it? Wished I'd tested that one I had more, maybe it would've given me a different result eahc time and the one time it was that close was nothing more than accident.? I dont know..anyone know, let me know.

Collapse -
Not always reliable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: I wonder though..

And not always unreliable. In fact, let's call this a fool's errand.

Please report the thief and don't lose your time over IP location since it's a constantly moving map.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, Unreliable
by sunwatcher / March 21, 2009 4:17 PM PDT
In reply to: I wonder though..

If you're talking residential locations, then yes, you can assume it's going to be unreliable. Nine times out of ten the IP addresses are assigned dynamically by the ISP's DHCP server, so only the ISP knows which residence is getting a particular IP address. That's something that's ever-changing, and not made available to any "IP mapping" software to track.

Business networks usually work with static IP addresses, so chances are you may get reasonable close to their actual location.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!