Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

ip address

by emaa / June 16, 2008 6:57 AM PDT

When I enter a forum in which I am registered, does the webmaster (or anyone else for that matter)see the ip address of my pc? Do they know if I am connecting from this or that state or country? What specifically do they know? To what extent do I protect my privacy?Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ip address
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ip address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The IP-address ...
by Kees Bakker / June 16, 2008 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: ip address

is sent by your browser (or router) to the site, so they know where to send the answer to. Depending on their software they can do with it what they want. And, yes, it's a nice way to find out where approximately you live.
And they know your browser and - if you clicked on a link somewhere to get into the site - where you came from.

Kees

Collapse -
Ip addresses and forums
by ahtram88 / June 16, 2008 11:24 PM PDT

Hi emaa-

Yes most forum software provides the forum operator(WEB Master) with the ip addresses of persons registering as members of their forum.

A WEB Master needs this information for security reasons. to "ban" or deny Forum access to individuals that are causing problems on a Forum. The WEB master uses the offensive members IP address as a means for the forum software to identify and lock out individuals that they don't want to post or view their site.

Information that anyone can obtained from someones IP address....

There are a lot of sites on the Internet that provide freee IP lookup capability. They have a box where anyone can enter any IP address

The information obtained veries from site to site but basicly they provide...For example:

City and State... They sometimes give the longitude and latitude and the Telephone area code, Host name etc.

If this is making you nervous .. please read on..

Actually it is not your personal ip location that is obtained...it is in most cases the closest relay location of your ISP [Internet Service Provider] Your ISP is who ever you pay to provide you with access to the internet. A cable company...DSL provider.etc. If you are on a computer at work the company name .. Univerity ...Host names.

The best way for you to understand this is to check it out yourself.
Here is the URL for one of the WEB sites I was refering to above. When you get there you will see your IP address.... a nice map with with a pin stuck into that IP location. City State...etc

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

I think you will find it very informative.
On that same site they have a FAQ's page about IP addresses that might interest you..

http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpages/index.php/FAQ

Hope that helped.

ahtram88

Collapse -
people prob'ly don't care
by squirtlewa / June 19, 2008 12:33 AM PDT

but you should assume info is out there if someone did want to trace you.

The site 'whatsmyipaddress.com' linked above is a rough tool. For me it's off by at least 20 miles. However when I called for tech support (my internet access is thru cellular towers), the guy many states away was able to tell me what was outside my north vs west window with stunning accuracy, just based on my card's signal to the towers.

For casual use, that info is out there, but prob'ly nobody cares to use it, particularly with forums. I know one forums moderator who keeps tabs of which users are actually posting from the same place (people will pretend to be 2 or more different posters... what can ya say, lots of weirdos on teh interwebs). But unless you're doing something that attracts attention, the info will be ignored most often. On the other hand, if you're doing something illegal, it's safe to assume that people can track down to the exact door they need to knock on.

The basic webpage software I've used provides a log of who (IP#) accessed, what time, and which files.

Collapse -
real quick
by Usernameniner / June 20, 2008 4:59 AM PDT

emma..I have friends that are webmasters, always worried.
They'll get you ip possibly, but...There not hackers.
Im learning about ip, so the forum I use is http://whatismyipaddress.com/

You could ask the tecks anything pertaining to it, and learn more about it. Its not a how to hack site. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Hopefully all is resolved.
by Usernameniner / June 30, 2008 3:11 PM PDT
In reply to: real quick

You could always change your ip
run cmd ipconfig /realease ipconfig /renew

Or just get an ssh2.....

Collapse -
fifefox
by repete_smile / July 1, 2008 3:40 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?