Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ip address

by Abhimanyu_royal / June 17, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

is there any way within windows to view my ip address?

i installed an anonymizer program, and the ip adddress does not show up on websites....

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ip address
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ip address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Simple
by jnbhoward / June 17, 2006 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: ip address

Fire up a DOS prompt and type in "ipconfig" and you should have your IP address listed. You can also find it in the status property sheet for your network connection.

Collapse -
RE:
by Abhimanyu_royal / June 17, 2006 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Simple

'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file.

That is the message I get when typing in "ipconfig"

Collapse -
IP address
by glennlee / June 17, 2006 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Go to control panel, networks, Local Area Connection, Support. You will find your IP address and other details listed there.

Collapse -
If that is the error message you get...
by Edward ODaniel / June 17, 2006 5:28 AM PDT

then for some reason the command prompt you are running the command from has a problem with the environment.

It could also be because you are not using Windows XP (although this is the XP forum you didn't state your OS and Win (x users have asked questions here in the past) and older Win 9X used winipcfg.

It might even be that someone has deleted the file.

Assuming you do have Win XP (or 2000 or NT which all had ipconfig) go here and download the Microsoft Wntipcnfg utility (a GUI version and although the link is for Windows 2000 it originated in the NT resource kit and also works fine on XP Home or Pro):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=00A974B4-0BFA-4065-8081-BBAEBF2A5CB6

With XP you can also check the IP-address via "Network Connections" by displaying the "Status" of a connection ( right-click the connection icon near the clock on your taskbar, pop-up menu select Status).

Other methods here http://support.shaw.ca/troubleshooting/xptroubleshooting.htm

I do suggest you discover what actually happened to your ipconfig.exe file though.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks everyone I got it
by Abhimanyu_royal / June 18, 2006 3:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
How did you get to the DOS prompt?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 17, 2006 5:32 AM PDT

If you are using Windows XP, you need to go to Start > Run, type in ''cmd'', (without the quotes), then type in ipconfig and press Enter

Or did you do that already?

Mark

Collapse -
inadvertently left out ne step
by DarCLew2 / June 17, 2006 8:01 AM PDT

got to run type in cmd (okay or enter) then in the DOS box type in ipconfig. I sometimes cut to another place and leave out things too. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) True, I forgot the Enter after comd.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 17, 2006 7:22 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?